I beat my very first iron man run

After watching a stream of Excelblem I was so tempted to try an iron man run as well.

I'm playing on hard mode without transfers.

I finished part 3, and I have to say, very most of the run went smoothly.

Of course I'm acknowledged with my strategy for very most chapters for having played this game more than 200 times, but playing an iron man run feels different.

The more I've to be focussed not to let try a Game Over.

To be fair I haven't been close to one, but I've lost a few units:

• Meg (sacrificed)
  • Astrid or rather paragon (avoidable)
  • Aran (avoidable) (which was a shame because he was over average, quite speedy)
  • Laura (sacrificed)

As for the units I made Edward become a trueblade which hasn't happened lately, but he was mainly the carrier of the Dawn Brigade for me, even more than Jill.

My fliers kinda struggled. Marcia and Haar are speedscrewed. Jill was hardly useful in part 1 but became a bit more reliable in part 3. Beastfoe on her helped.

Ike was very speedblessed, could even cap speed in tier 2 despite not having a speed transfer bonus.

My biggest surprise was Aran, though, who had like 75% speed growth but unfortunately like no luck because he was critted fatally in 3-12. Sad!

I'm not sure about my endgame team, but I'll bring Mia and Edward to the tower to give them both a SS sword.

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

Doing it in Radiant Dawn with all of its extra game over conditions is rather impressive, although you still have the home stretch of Part 4 to get through. I had a few unlucky Game Overs last time I tried to ironman this game, but perhaps I will get back to it eventually. Good Luck, and it sounds like it has been a rather fun run.

11 hours ago, MisterIceTeaPeach said:

Meg (sacrificed)

What's even the point? Start over.

You have to use Brom to make up for this. That'll guarentee success for the ironman.

Posted (edited)

I made it to F-3 today.

I must say I played a lot worse the past days, especially 3-F was awful where I lost Heather (brought her for the hidden rescue staff which Sigrun found at the end) and Tanith. Latter loss hurt me a lot since I wanted to have a mobile wishblade user since Marcia screwed up.

Part 4 went better. Didn't have much issues with the exception of 4-5 because I miscalculated the enemy's range (swamp and thicket tiles confused me). Furthermore I was short on front units. I lost Zihark, Leonardo and Reyson. Didn't matter too much for me since Tibarn and Elincia were enough to make their way to Izuka. And Rafiel is my preferred heron for the endgame.

4-1 and 4-2 worked well.

My endgame team (aside of the forced units) are:

• Mia
  • Rolf
  • Soren
  • Edward
  • Jill
  • Elincia
  • Nephenee
  • Tibarn
  • Caineghis
  • Nailah
On 7/16/2024 at 6:38 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Doing it in Radiant Dawn with all of its extra game over conditions is rather impressive, although you still have the home stretch of Part 4 to get through. I had a few unlucky Game Overs last time I tried to ironman this game, but perhaps I will get back to it eventually. Good Luck, and it sounds like it has been a rather fun run.

Aw, that's unfortunate.

The first four maps and 1-9 are the maps where it's fairly easy to fail, especially in 1-9 if you have a poor Micaiah and do not know the safe spots.

And yes, it has been fun so far!

On 7/16/2024 at 7:11 AM, Shaky Jones said:

What's even the point? Start over.

You have to use Brom to make up for this. That'll guarentee success for the ironman.

Aw sorry, I need to scarifice Meg by shoving Sothe in 1-5 to let him steal the master seal from the soldier.

Sadly Brom's bad levels in part 2 disqualified him. He almost died in 3-5 by being totally underleveled, but he made through this!

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

I beat the iron man run!

No death in the endgame.

I have to say very most of my endgame team did splendid, except for Edward maybe for having only 34 speed.

However, it didn't matter, he even became my MVP of this run!

First time ever happening to see Edward as #1.

top 5:

1. Edward
  2. Jill
  3. Ike
  4. Nephenee
  5. Rolf

I'm proud and happy of beating this challenge in my very first attempt.

I hardly doubt I'll do this challenge with other games for lacking the knowledge of these games.

Pah of Radiance would be the only contender, but I don't have my copy anymore for upgrading my Wii to a Wii U.

Either way it was a fun run!

Congratulations! I've beaten RD like a dozen times, but have never Ironmanned it. Well done!

2 hours ago, MisterIceTeaPeach said:

top 5:

1. Edward
  2. Jill
  3. Ike
  4. Nephenee
  5. Rolf

I've also never gotten Edward to #1! Even as I've brought him into the Tower a few times. Pretty cool.

23 hours ago, MisterIceTeaPeach said:

Sadly Brom's bad levels in part 2 disqualified him. He almost died in 3-5 by being totally underleveled, but he made through this!

So he must live on with the memory of his daughter, cut down in the blossoming of her life, weighing upon his soul. A fate worse than death.

Zihark, conversely, is vibin'.

6 hours ago, MisterIceTeaPeach said:

First time ever happening to see Edward as #1.

top 5:

1. Edward
  2. Jill
  3. Ike
  4. Nephenee
  5. Rolf

Edward at number 1 is the most unsurprising surprising mvp.

Ike and Haar are the unsurprising mvps. No one would bat an eye if you displayed them as number 1.

Kyza would be the most surprising mvp. Is there even one Kyza fan out there? 

Fiona and Lyre would be the most surprising unsurprising maps. Like its crazy that you went ham with such bad units, but depending on who you are, you might get a "of course you used them..." and they're like Sophia in the sense that they're popular due to their infamous performance.

Edward's the guy that you're primarily shocked not being a Greil Mercenary, but out of the non game breakers, Edward's got the biggest fan club. 

4 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I've also never gotten Edward to #1! Even as I've brought him into the Tower a few times. Pretty cool.

I remember him being my mvp in my first run. Good times. Nowadays I only see myself playing the randomizer. How else will Jarod shine?

On 7/17/2024 at 10:32 AM, MisterIceTeaPeach said:

Aw sorry, I need to scarifice Meg by shoving Sothe in 1-5 to let him steal the master seal from the soldier.

You killed Brom's daughter for a few thousand gold. You truly are an Excelblem fan.

On 7/17/2024 at 10:32 AM, MisterIceTeaPeach said:

That was a test of loyalty. And you failed.

Congrats on the run though. I'm not a fan of ironmans myself, but I would like to beat them all under the challenge one day. I've beaten like 6 ironmans so far. RD aint one of them though. I'll at least need the mod that gives me hard mode range. So dumb.

6 hours ago, MisterIceTeaPeach said:

hardly doubt I'll do this challenge with other games for lacking the knowledge of these games.

At the very least, Sacred Stones is always there to baby you through one.

Shadow Dragon is also relatively doable with little knowledge needed, assuming you trust that Kaga knew what he was doing with his ironman philosophy in mind, before he went Thracia mode.

DS version does add more resources for those who lose too many units, like replacement units and gaiden chapters with all kinds of rewards. 

6 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

Edward at number 1 is the most unsurprising surprising mvp.

Ike and Haar are the unsurprising mvps. No one would bat an eye if you displayed them as number 1.

Kyza would be the most surprising mvp. Is there even one Kyza fan out there? 

Fiona and Lyre would be the most surprising unsurprising maps. Like its crazy that you went ham with such bad units, but depending on who you are, you might get a "of course you used them..." and they're like Sophia in the sense that they're popular due to their infamous performance.

Edward's the guy that you're primarily shocked not being a Greil Mercenary, but out of the non game breakers, Edward's got the biggest fan club. 

I remember him being my mvp in my first run. Good times. Nowadays I only see myself playing the randomizer. How else will Jarod shine?

You killed Brom's daughter for a few thousand gold. You truly are an Excelblem fan.

That was a test of loyalty. And you failed.

Congrats on the run though. I'm not a fan of ironmans myself, but I would like to beat them all under the challenge one day. I've beaten like 6 ironmans so far. RD aint one of them though. I'll at least need the mod that gives me hard mode range. So dumb.

At the very least, Sacred Stones is always there to baby you through one.

Shadow Dragon is also relatively doable with little knowledge needed, assuming you trust that Kaga knew what he was doing with his ironman philosophy in mind, before he went Thracia mode.

DS version does add more resources for those who lose too many units, like replacement units and gaiden chapters with all kinds of rewards. 

Oh nice, congrats for beating six ironmans!

Honestly the lack on movement doesn't bother me as much as the lack on weapon triangle because I memorized my playstyle of most of the chapters.

For blind or unfamliar players it's still a big issue, though.

Ironmanning Thracia 776 would be the most obscure to do because of its hitrates and RNG (the fact that 0% does NOT exist).

Sacred Stones is definitely the most doable game for me to ironman next, once it's been added to NSO.

11 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Congratulations! I've beaten RD like a dozen times, but have never Ironmanned it. Well done!

So he must live on with the memory of his daughter, cut down in the blossoming of her life, weighing upon his soul. A fate worse than death.

Zihark, conversely, is vibin'.

Thank you!

Edward carried me through part 3, so he claimed lot of kills.

He kinda fell off in part 4, but his performance before secured his mvp status.

Sadly Zihark died...despite A support with Volug.