What are your favorite paired endings for Byleth narratively?

I sometimes passively forget that Byleth is even nominally an avatar unit that represents you on account of how much of their own character they are. Even the "silent protagonist" element is executed in a self-referential manner where it's explicitly the character's actual personality in-narrative and they are still very expressive. Byleth having that exact personality and character is actually fundamental to the plot since the role of Sitri and the Crest of Flames is ostensibly why they're like that.

That said, what paired endings do you like for Byleth narrative-wise? I appreciate the outcome of the Jeritza ending for being reminiscent of Ike and Soren's ending in FE10, whilst their actual archetypes and relationship are more akin to a "(Fem!)Ike and Zelgius" duo. In their actual interactions I like the contrast between Jeritza's brooding insanity and Byleth's laconic and mild mannered responses and their travels after the end of the game could make for an endearing fan manga strip or something. Byleth completely disappearing to unknown whereabouts in this ending is also unique since most endings regardless of the route have them remain some form of prominent societal role. On that note, Byleth's ending if he marries Marianne also has a distinct vibe since he becomes a minor lord in the post-war Empire and is rewarded for his role in the war with the expansion of his realm into conquered Leicester Alliance territories. It's a uniquely humble position compared to how they end up in any of the non-Crimson Flower endings. It works out well on Marianne's end too since this is the only ending that results in the expansion of Edmund's territorial borders, her dad will undoubtedly be pleased with this outcome. I'm also partial to all the endings that make Jeralt's grandkids explicitly canon.

Edited by Kantoor

Shamir and Catherine are the only moral pairings for Byleth. Any of the students? That's grooming. Hanneman and Manuela? Those are your coworkers, don't shit where you eat. Rhea? She's your mother/daughter! That's incest! Sothis, that's selfcest! Cyril, do I need to call the police?

Their Hopes ending because in that ending daddy is still alive and they likely won't be shoved into roles they might not like. I don't think Byleth themselves would really want to be Bishop or Claude's puppe...um I mean king of their own accord. 

53 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Hanneman and Manuela? Those are your coworkers, don't shit where you eat.

That and given the steep age difference I don't see much difference in Byleth seducing their students, or those two seducing Byleth. All the more so since because they enter teaching as a completely one can argue Byleth is more their protege then peer as a teacher. 

57 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Shamir and Catherine are the only moral pairings for Byleth. Any of the students? That's grooming. Hanneman and Manuela? Those are your coworkers, don't shit where you eat. Rhea? She's your mother/daughter! That's incest! Sothis, that's selfcest! Cyril, do I need to call the police?

Good to hear I made the moral choice.

Just now, lenticular said:

Alois. It's nice to actually have a paired ending for an avatar character that is explicitly and unambiguously not romantic.

Doesn't Gilbert have that too? At least, I assume he does, because that dude has so much baggage actually trying to make him romantic sounds like it'd be a 3H length story unto itself.

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Doesn't Gilbert have that too? At least, I assume he does, because that dude has so much baggage actually trying to make him romantic sounds like it'd be a 3H length story unto itself.

I believe so, yeah. But he's only available in one route and I don't like him as much as I like Alois, so Alois gets the nod as my favourite.

7 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I believe so, yeah. But he's only available in one route and I don't like him as much as I like Alois, so Alois gets the nod as my favourite.

He is a wonderful soul.