It's Tough Getting A Job In This Economany

Steven Tyler

Are Employers Discriminating Against WoW Players? | Game Politics

`

Although the information is sketchy, at best, an exchange on the f13.net forums suggests that some employers may be discriminating against those who play World of Warcraft*:

The anonymous poster is known only as "Tale":

*Source: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=15577.0

I met with a recruiter recently (online media industry) and in conversation I happened to mention I'd spent way too much time in the early 2000s playing online games...

He replied that employers specifically instruct him not to send them World of Warcraft players. He said there is a belief that WoW players cannot give 100% because their focus is elsewhere, their sleeping patterns are often not great, etc. I mentioned that some people have written about MMOG leadership experience as a career positive or a way to learn project management skills, and he shook his head. He has been specifically asked to avoid WoW players...

No WoW-hating companies are named. On the other hand, a firm that outright dismisses the WoW crowd de facto shrinks its global applicant pool by - what - 12 million potential employees?

They can't all be addicts.

Via: Raph Koster

So, this unname company believe, despite the ecnomany being a piece of shit as it is now, they think it is a good idea to reject anyone who is a gamer. Way to help with the ecnomany and good job being undiscrimated.

Sucks the the company isn't being name but seriously, not all gamers are addicts. But hey, people want to listen what they like the hear.

Impossible for you, maybe. I've shared a room with someone who played WoW and several other MMORPGs, and balanced them so he could keep up with all of them and not fall behind. Also played into the wee hours of the morning every day. Dude only left the room for classes, which even then shocked me.

Also, pic related

1192137036350.jpg

Edited by The Blind Archer

Impossible for you, maybe. I've shared a room with someone who played WoW and several other MMORPGs, and balanced them so he could keep up with all of them and not fall behind. Also played into the wee hours of the morning every day. Dude only left the room for classes, which even then shocked me.

Also, pic related

1192137036350.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lol i can't stop laughing now

Anyways, that excuse is dumb, why didn't he hire the guy trying to get the job, i mean it's not like he's still adicted to it.

In the Navy, anyone that separates is first sent on temporary orders to a Transitional Assistance Programme (TAP), where they are instructed on the differences between the military and civilian life. I was sent to this in 2003 as a matter of course. During this week-long class, we had recruiters come in to talk to us on how to interview.

One of the things they told us was that beards were an absolute no-no. I, naturally, called bullshit, and asked why this was the case. I was told that beards "remind a lot of people of Charles Manson", and then told that hey, if I don't like it, I don't have to work, that I'm playing "their game by their rules".

These types of recruiters and people are the same reasons why college and certifications are necessary for almost any job that doesn't involve a grill or a stripper's pole. They don't necessarily teach the requisite skills - I didn't learn much in any qualification I went for that I didn't learn on the job - but they provide cover for HR. Look at it this way: HR is tasked into finding the best person to fill a job, and if they hire a pillock who at best doesn't work out or at worst hurts the company, it's their ass. They have ten people applying for one job; from their CVs, they have to pick out the absolute best candidate. Right off the bat, someone with no college degree in that discipline is gone; they can be weeded out, because interviewing costs time. From there, they just have to find other ways to weed people out. "This person lists World of Warcraft as a hobby. That could lead to erratic sleep patterns, that article in Newsweek said so!", and in the bin it goes.

My advise is that there are a lot of different jobs out there; find one that works for you, and consistently build up a skill base. At that point, anything as minor as these items will be irrelevant, because you will be wanted or needed.

Side note: I've had four different paying jobs since leaving the military: system's administrator for a lumber company, security engineer for an internet security company, ice hockey official that's worked as high as semi-professional hockey, and freelance journalist and columnist. I've gotten all four jobs with a beard.

for one, what is the point in talking about video games (mmorpg's or whatever) at a job interview unless you're applying to a game studio?

You don't have to, at least in the US, have to tell everyone your personal habits.

if you go into a job interview and say something about being addicted to WoW, then of course you're asking for trouble and don't know anything about interviewing for a job.

I agree with superbus about bizarre things involving job interviews. but come on, you're selling yourself at a job interview, used car salesman don't tell a buyer all the problems with buying a car, they highlight the better qualities of the used car. And if everything you're good at is all related to the video game realm, then you've got some reevaluating to do.

yeah, mmorpg's are a waste of time. i played a free one a year ago and got tired after a month. I am sorry, but i've got a life in this world that actually is kind of important.

Anyways, i cannot play a good game inside of an mmorpg.

hahahahahahahahahaha

It's been proven already that it is impossible to become addicted to gaming. Oh well though, just lie and say you don't play WoW.

Not always Usually it isn't an addiction though read this article to understand why.

As nobody bothers to read things in this day and age i'll spell it out. A lot of the compulsive players treated by Europes only gaming addiction clinic have found that it is a social issue for about 90% of their patients. Basically, addiction counseling will be ineffective.

Edited by Starwolf_UK

`

So, this unname company believe, despite the ecnomany being a piece of shit as it is now, they think it is a good idea to reject anyone who is a gamer. Way to help with the ecnomany and good job being undiscrimated.

Sucks the the company isn't being name but seriously, not all gamers are addicts. But hey, people want to listen what they like the hear.

Actually it is the reason why they aren't hiring people like this, the economy is in a slump and many people are out of jobs which mean that there are many people who are more skilled than many of these people looking for the same jobs, whereas someone who is fresh out of high school or college, no real job skill, no proof of a work ethic are expecting to get the job while the more skilled guy doesn't.

I play WoW. I have no official job.

It's not because I play WoW however, it's because I have epilepsy and by law cannot drive. Which means I am limited to the few local places, which, of course are already full and not hiring :(

I am still with my folks atm, I essentially pay my due being being housekeeper >.< and doing all yard/house work (And I have someone else I help with their job to make a small amount of side $$$)

I can see why WoW could effect someones ability to perform their job, there are times you just have to finish that dungeon with the group, or finish that quest you are working on. However, I could easily put an end to it to stick with a job. Reason I know as I have done it before, although not for an official job, there are some days that I have a lot of work ahead where I just get off and go to sleep early with no trouble.

Really when it comes down to it. It depends on the person, as do most things. I am sure there could be just as many people watching t3h pr0nz0rz all night, or others that just have to finish that book, or even just console gamers who can't get off their favorite game.

Edited by Izuka