The Mafia to End all Mafias - GAME OVER

Sunwoo

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I told y'all I was Town! I TOLD you!

"You undervalued Cop TWICE and you don't know how Night mechanics work, you're Mafia!"

Of course I undervalued it! Like I've said multiple times, this is my first game ever. I had absolutely NO idea that Cop was valuable, and of course I wasn't clear on Night mechanics. That was the truth. I didn't tell a single lie this entire game.

Ah, well. This was fun! I enjoyed it a lot and I certainly look forward to playing more games in the future!

Oooooof.

Well played Jamie! I think we always lost that one there.

Sorry FEF. For what it's worth, I thought you were a good actor, but got put in a bad spot by lack of experience.

You can gain an immediate advantage with one thing. Learn the value of different roles.

Consider the different cases. Is the role useful even if the targets are chosen at random? Hint: The most powerful roles are good even when used poorly.

For seems-good-but-actually-hard-to-use: Things like doctors only impact the game mechanically when they are good at choosing their target. You can impact who gets killed at night by claiming to be a doc, but your chance to actually save someone is low. Even if you do save them, you may have saved mafia.

For absolutely-broken-power: With investigations that reveal alignment, you can clear someone the mafia want to push for the vote elimination, or find the Mafia outright. No matter what result you get, or how good your choice is, it makes the game much harder for mafia by boxing them in.

In the middle are normal investigations. Watcher is super powerful similar to cop, but not as good, and Tracker is weaker than Watcher, but still very good.

Vigilante is swingy, because it can both help and hurt the town depending on the choices.

Roleblock is also swingy, same reason, as we saw this game.

When considering the value of a role, think about the best case and the worst case. You should always assume the worst case unless you can soundly eliminate it. Then you should assume the next worst case. The best role is the one that is the best even if you mess up.

Great game everyone. This was pretty impressive for having a lot of newbies IMO.

Edited by Makaze

57 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I told y'all I was Town! I TOLD you!

"You undervalued Cop TWICE and you don't know how Night mechanics work, you're Mafia!"

Of course I undervalued it! Like I've said multiple times, this is my first game ever. I had absolutely NO idea that Cop was valuable, and of course I wasn't clear on Night mechanics. That was the truth. I didn't tell a single lie this entire game.

Ah, well. This was fun! I enjoyed it a lot and I certainly look forward to playing more games in the future!

It is very hard to tell the difference between reasons for not thinking about something. Sorry I jumped the gun. I wasn't going to be convinced by anything but a better case on someone else, unfortunately. Bad luck to be going against Jamie in that scenario. I think Eury death would have led to the same end, killing you today instead.

Sorry y'all for my inactivity, I was p sure of scum!Jamie but after D1 I kinda lost the script and didn't want to make a vote because I didn't want to make a possibly wrong vote, in hindsight just pushing jamie despite the claim was the play, but hindsight is 20-20

you played well, @Fire Emblem Fan, and sorry @DefyingFates for being wrong on you

• Sunwoo changed the title to The Mafia to End all Mafias - GAME OVER

Could you guys tell this wasn't a great game for the host either, lol

Apparently, my mind wasn't completely here this week and updating stuff was a lot harder than it should've been. Sorry to the players for being flaky.

Postgame hopefully coming before the end of next week.

Postgame Part 1: The Setup (aka the easy part)

So, while it's still relatively fresh in my mind, I wanted to explain why the setup is the way it is and what the method to my madness was.

This game was always intended to be a small, 9 player game with no vanillas but relatively low power.

There was always going to be a cop and a doc, because those are basic roles that are helpful for a new player-heavy game. The 1-shot copier worked on the scum's roles as well and was put in the game to give town a little extra info in the case that something useful died early. It allowed for the player to both take up a role and use it on the same night, which I only did because of this game's small size. Tree stump, insomniac, and courier were there to encourage the townies who had it to use their voice outside of the normal NOC day phase while living. The tree stump could stick around the phase after they died to help direct town discussion, the insomniac could post their thoughts during the night and offer post-flip analysis, while the courier bypassed usual NOC roles to share their reads with a strong townread. Basically, 3/7 town roles had active night actions that could gather info or keep townies alive, while 3/7 other town roles were meant to be using their extra communication tools to get their thoughts across since they weren't getting info.

Finally, there's the masshook. It wasn't intended to be a troll role, it was meant to be insurance for getting town another day under certain circumstances. In the case of a no-lynch or a successful doc save, town could get into a MYLO situation where they lynch incorrectly and a living masshook could stop the game from ending with the mislynch. It was meant to be a role where its usefulness was only in specific situations and not using it was a perfectly valid option.

As for scum, I was worried about them being underpowered because when there are only two, having a weak scum team is worse than when you have a greater numbers buffer. Scum primarily consisted of info roles with one factional "can't be stopped by anything" kill that was not tied to either player specifically. The 1x safeguard on the "Stormtrooper" role was actually not intended as a pseudo-strongman shot but apparently while I was designing the setup I forgot that it could be used in that way. (Thankfully, it never actually came into play, but still it was stupid on my part to include it.) The scum got a trackerwatcher because there's no way I'm putting a town watcher in a game of this size with a doc and a cop and if tracker was its own town role that people would speculate one of tracker or watcher had to be scum because tracker+cop+doc+watcher+copier is a bit too much power for a 9p game ...

I didn't expect this game to last longer than N3/D4, so I gave town doc and cop 2x shots that didn't get used up by masshook. That felt fair. Scum's rolecop and trackerwatcher were technically unlimited, although I suppose they theoretically would've gotten only an additional night of use had everything been equal.

If I could redesign the setup, I would've removed the 1x safeguard on scum (even if it wasn't used and never relevant, it still was a poor addition to a role that didn't need it), made the scum rolecop and trackerwatcher 2x use like the rest of the town active roles, and ... I guess made masshook a 1x regular hook with a different song I dunno.

Original setup had a bulletproof and macho martyr that I ended up throwing out in favor of other roles, because that was too much fucking protection. I don't regret that. I'll leave it to your imagination as to which roles got added in favor of those.

Honestly, if people listened to and enjoyed the songs, I'd still consider this game a success.

Player analysis coming later. Much later. I have a headache.