Do you find someone's race a turn-off?

General Spoon

Instead of posting questions, why don't you just post it out? Or is there something wrong? :3

Edit: Didn't see the last post.

You could have mentioned that earlier. Do you know how much easier it would be if you posted that you see race equals apperances? I was looking at them as two different subjects.

Lawl. Sorry, I assumed you thought that to. How do you determine someones race? Run a detailed background check? :P

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What. about. generalizations. don't. you. understand?

I know it's a generalization. I'm aware of how they work. I was simply pointing out that this was an unreasonable generalization.

Lawl. Sorry, I assumed you thought that to. How do you determine someones race? Run a detailed background check? :P

By race.

._.

What I see is that you refused to accept my view because they are unreasonable and wrong to you. I consider to my view to be acceptable.

Now tell me. How is this not a matter of opinion? I must have missed it somewhere, but I'm too lazy to read all those posts.

Edited by Yuli

Race is obviously an appearance and an indicator, but not the cause.

Don't be a dick and try to change it around as though it is.

If you saw a fucking TIGER approaching you whilst drooling, do you fail to recognize it as a tiger until you learn its name and take it to dinner? Fuck no, you know it's a tiger from seeing it, and but it's appearance isn't WHY you want to avoid it; you know tigers can and often do maim people, and you're STUPID if you don't get out of the fucking way just because "all tigers aren't like that!"

Edited by Paradox

Race is obviously an appearance and an indicator, but not the cause.

Don't be a dick and try to change it around as though it is.

If you saw a fucking TIGER approaching you whilst drooling, do you fail to recognize it as a tiger until you learn its name and take it to dinner? Fuck no, you know it's a tiger from seeing it, and but it's appearance isn't WHY you want to avoid it; you know tigers can and often do maim people, and you're STUPID if you don't get out of the fucking way just because "all tigers aren't like that!"

I understand that. Tigers look like tigers. They, as a species, are biologically inclined to eat people.

I actually think I totally missed her point here, and perhaps yours as well. Are you implying that black people think differently than white people? Or act differently?

Tigers target meat as food. They don't just aim for people.

What? Do you call out to them to ask if they're Asian? Or do you taste them?

Tasting is what I prefer not doing at all. I don't actually call out, as in yelling, but more of a normal talking voice.

Edited by Yuli

Are you implying that black people think differently than white people? Or act differently?

I'm implying that all cultures think and act differently than others cultures, yes, because that's pretty much the definition of culture.

If you don't admit that, you're really doing much more harm than good, trying to put everyone in the same square hole. I'm not saying any one is better than others, but fuck, yes, they're different.

I understand that. Tigers look like tigers.

Fuck, how did I miss that.

Are you telling me asian don't look like asians? white people don't look white? Pretending to be color blind doesn't make you not racist, it just makes you retarded.

Tigers target meat as food. They don't just aim for people.

Tasting is what I prefer not doing at all. I don't actually call out, as in yelling, but more of a normal talking voice.

You're saying you literally have to ask people what race they belong to? Fuck, what the hell is wrong here!?

Edited by Paradox

Fuck, how did I miss that.

Are you telling me asian don't look like asians? white people don't look white? Pretending to be color blind doesn't make you not racist, it just makes you retarded.

You're saying you literally have to ask people what race they belong to? Fuck, what the hell is wrong here!?

Dude, you misunderstand. That is the ONLY way I differentiate race. Race equals appearance to me.

Race and culture are totally seperate things. Race is more the physical characteristics (appearance, etc). I really think we misunderstand one another. I think Asians do look Asian. Black people, look, well black. And that's the only way I can tell if someone is black. That's what I've been trying to say.

Dude, you misunderstand. That is the ONLY way I differentiate race. Race equals appearance to me.

Race and culture are totally seperate things. Race is more the physical characteristics (appearance, etc). I really think we misunderstand one another. I think Asians do look Asian. Black people, look, well black. And that's the only way I can tell if someone is black. That's what I've been trying to say.

Right, so why is that a problem?

Except for, y'know, this;

Except that is not what you're saying. You said that you trust black people less because of them bugging you in the past.

That is judging them on their looks. Because people who look like them have acted a certain way, you assume that they will act in a similar matter. That is not a reasonable deduction.

Except for, y'know, this;

I'm trying to draw a distinction between race and culture.

EDIT: I mean, someone's race shouldn't define their actions.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

Are you trying to imply that there's a total disconnect between race and culture then?

If you are, then I can follow your reasoning even though it'd be pretty decidedly wrong.

If not, uh, fuck; you seem to be implying it's wrong of her to judge based on race, because race is a factor of appearance, except that except in the case of outliers, appearance and culture ARE linked. Hence the tiger example; you know tigers eat people, you know what a tiger looks like, so you GTFO.

Edited by Paradox

*laughs ass of due to the absurd misunderstandings*

IMO, Revan's two posts don't conflict. He says he decides race based on appearance (as do we all, save for Yuli, who seems to do it with her mouth somehow), but that you shouldn't judge culture and mannerisms in the same why. I think with "Judging them on their looks", he meant the latter.

Excuse me if he is actually she. Set your damn gender. or use a different avatar

edit: too late. At least I didn't miss the point then.

Edited by Claus Mortis

Are you trying to imply that there's a total disconnect between race and culture then?

If you are, then I can follow your reasoning even though it'd be pretty decidedly wrong.

If not, uh, fuck; you seem to be implying it's wrong of her to judge based on race, because race is a factor of appearance, except that except in the case of outliers, appearance and culture ARE linked. Hence the tiger example; you know tigers eat people, you know what a tiger looks like, so you GTFO.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that race and culture are linked in some cases, but not all, and especially in that specific situation, it is not really a cultural thing at all. I mean, is being loud and obnoxious and getting in peoples space part of black culture? Certain members of a race may be more likely to be of a certain culture, but it is of no guarantee, unlike in the case of the tiger in which case Tigers as a species are BIOLOGICALLY inclined to eat other living things. It's something they just do. Black people are not biologically inclined to enjoy fried chicken, get what I'm saying? :P

Okay, thank you for specifying directly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that race and culture are linked in some cases, but not all,

What'd we say about outliers? :(

and especially in that specific situation, it is not really a cultural thing at all.

I think you missed my point.

Again I mean, is being loud and obnoxious and getting in peoples space part of black culture?

First of all, there's really quite a few 'black' cultures that often differ based on location. However, talking from the cultures of some African Americans, from my experience, I would say so.

No, that's not to say it's inherent to all black people; but it's something that is culturally different. Yes, it's a generalization, no, it's not always right.

Also, hey, as far as cultural flaws I would say that's not too bad; I'll be happy to give you worse flaws about Hispanics or whites (my own two cultures).

Certain members of a race may be more likely to be of a certain culture, but it is of no guarantee

You know, it's usually pretty easy to tell if you perceive mannerisms and dress style. No, of course there's no guarantee, but you can't pretend it's completely and utterly irrelevant; if I show you an Arabic person, it is not generally as likely that they will start speaking Arabic as German. Appearance does follow culture because culture is in large part geographical and thus biological. But of course there's always exceptions, people whose appearance completely don't match their culture, or people who grew up in a culture but merely hold different attitudes, values, and behaviors.

unlike in the case of the tiger in which case Tigers as a species are BIOLOGICALLY inclined to eat other living things. It's something they just do. Black people are not biologically inclined to enjoy fried chicken, get what I'm saying? :P

Yes, I understand, but I think you're missing the point of my analogy, which is that appearance and behavior are linked. With people it tends to be more cultural than biological, but never the less it holds true.

Okay, thank you for specifying directly.

What'd we say about outliers? :(

I think you missed my point.

First of all, there's really quite a few 'black' cultures that often differ based on location. However, talking from the cultures of some African Americans, from my experience, I would say so.

No, that's not to say it's inherent to all black people; but it's something that is culturally different. Yes, it's a generalization, no, it's not always right.

Also, hey, as far as cultural flaws I would say that's not too bad; I'll be happy to give you worse flaws about Hispanics or whites (my own two cultures).

You know, it's usually pretty easy to tell if you perceive mannerisms and dress style. No, of course there's no guarantee, but you can't pretend it's completely and utterly irrelevant; if I show you an Arabic person, it is not generally as likely that they will start speaking Arabic as German. Appearance does follow culture because culture is in large part geographical and thus biological. But of course there's always exceptions, people whose appearance completely don't match their culture, or people who grew up in a culture but merely hold different attitudes, values, and behaviors.

Yes, I understand, but I think you're missing the point of my analogy, which is that appearance and behavior are linked. With people it tends to be more cultural than biological, but never the less it holds true.

Yeah, I probably agree with you at least partly, but it's 3 in the morning here, so I really don't know. :P

So I skimmed through some of these more recent posts and this is what I think on Yuli's point of view, if you saw a black guy that was trying to be super gangster as a turn off, I'm pretty sure no one would be freaking out on the racism right now. But the fact that appearantly just being black seems to translate to being ghetto fabulous to you is the problem as that's just a sub-culture which origins stem from blacks is quite wide spread into other race groups.

Now back to the topic I must add women with olive skin and long dark hair is amazing, though I'm not sure what race actually gives those features since I honestly ignore race ... cause if someone is attractive I don't give a damn where you're from. :D

Reeeeaaally not feeling up to reading pages 9-12, so I'm going to skip n hope u guys are still arguing.

@Yuli: Stop distrusting BLACK PEOPLE. Distrust GHETTO PEOPLE. I believe that's more of the thing, amirite? Because it's the same thing with me, and I'm black. Whenever I see people in hoodies and/or pants hanging mid thigh, I immediately put up a tougher front. I'm not gonna get jacked. There are a lot more ghetto black people than most other races( purely because of ignorance far greater than you are being accused of), but other races are ghetto as well. I get what you're saying, but try to think less of race and more of behavior. Though with the insane amount of retarded ghetto fabulous black people out there( my little brother and bio-dad in particular), it's gonna be hard for people like you to change their views unless you actually meet some people who break the stereotypical mold like me or Masu. I've actually made a lot of friends who later admitted to being all "grr black guy distrust distrust!", but because I'm so radically different from the norm they were able to break that habit. :D

Reeeeaaally not feeling up to reading pages 9-12, so I'm going to skip n hope u guys are still arguing.

@Yuli: Stop distrusting BLACK PEOPLE. Distrust GHETTO PEOPLE. I believe that's more of the thing, amirite? Because it's the same thing with me, and I'm black. Whenever I see people in hoodies and/or pants hanging mid thigh, I immediately put up a tougher front. I'm not gonna get jacked. There are a lot more ghetto black people than most other races( purely because of ignorance far greater than you are being accused of), but other races are ghetto as well. I get what you're saying, but try to think less of race and more of behavior. Though with the insane amount of retarded ghetto fabulous black people out there( my little brother and bio-dad in particular), it's gonna be hard for people like you to change their views unless you actually meet some people who break the stereotypical mold like me or Masu. I've actually made a lot of friends who later admitted to being all "grr black guy distrust distrust!", but because I'm so radically different from the norm they were able to break that habit. :D

That hit me where right where I live LOL :lol: I wanna say something to conotribute but I'm too busy laughin my ass off lOL