Older games

Loki Laufeyson

I know most of youse guys are pretty damn young and probably like games with prettier graphics (and pokemon D<)

but for those of you older gamers around, dontcha love dusting off those older games like PSone era rpgs and SNES stuff and even NES stuff?! that stuff rules...I miss rpgs like that..like Legend of Dragoon...oh yeah

Oh hell yes. I'm more an oldies player than a new gen player (as I find most of the new gen games crap and/or not fitting to my likings).

My favourite console is the Megadrive, I have a +90 games collection on it, and love nearly each one of them (notable exception being Revenge of Shinobi, which I find clunky and not maniable at all. It's especially pathetic when compared to the awesome and way superior Shinobi 3, but since it's a game included in my Mega Games 2 cart...).

And there's a good chunk of PS1 games I own and like, such as Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Wipeout 2097, Final Doom, Time Crisis, Formula 1 '97, several Tokimeki Memorial games (the 1st, the 2nd, the 1st Drama Series, and the Taisen Puzzle Dama ones being the most notable), Snatcher, the Lunar games, Puyo Puyo 2, TOCA 2 Touring Cars, Tail Concerto, O.D.T., Star Ocean 2, Colony Wars 1 and 2... And the list goes on.

thats good to know..how many of you play those games on their original consoles? :P

AceNoctli, your sig is freakin me out LOL!

One of the best PSone rpgs ever is Xenogears! to hells with all that Xenosaga crap! Im a huge rpg fan, and i hate the fact no truly excellent rpgs (outside Fire Emblem) have been made recently...whats up with that?

thats good to know..how many of you play those games on their original consoles? :P

AceNoctli, your sig is freakin me out LOL!

One of the best PSone rpgs ever is Xenogears! to hells with all that Xenosaga crap! Im a huge rpg fan, and i hate the fact no truly excellent rpgs (outside Fire Emblem) have been made recently...whats up with that?

Thanks for the sig ! :D

You should watch Toradora!. It's full of awesome, probably an excellent contender for the anime of this year. :P

And yes, I play all my games on their original console. For the side note, my Megadrive is 15 years old, but it's still working like a charm. :P

I'm more of an old-school gamer. Many of my favorite video games were on such platforms.

I still have my Nintendo 64 for 11 years and it still works well. Just a few problems here and there, but it still works. I wish I could say the same for my NES and SNES.

I'd play them on their original consoles if I still had them >_>. I mostly play them on my Wii and DS. Now if only there's a working N64 emulator for the Wii <_<

dude thats what virtual console is for.. :blink:

I have this thingy that plays NES games..my NES finally died of natural causes some time ago and this little console thinger replaced it..its small and it plays NES carts like a dream..i love it! Im not into ROMS much..those kinda dork up my computer due to nasty things stuck in there to eat your files..

Ace, im not much into anime these days..sad but true..

I don't play too many legacy games anymore. Only the ones which have some kind of sentimental value to me, like Paper Mario or Star Fox 64.

I began gaming with a N64 but I rarely play it anymore, sometimes I like beatin Zelda Oot or MM. I sold my PSone and I dont like emulators so I dont play games from the PS either. But I do play DOS games like Wolfenstein 3d and Prince of Persia (the original one) Also Doom 2 is pretty cool. I tried Lemmings but I suck at it, and Boppin well, I suck too :lol:

Old games FTW :D

I know most of youse guys are pretty damn young and probably like games with prettier graphics (and pokemon D<)

but for those of you older gamers around, dontcha love dusting off those older games like PSone era rpgs and SNES stuff and even NES stuff?! that stuff rules...I miss rpgs like that..like Legend of Dragoon...oh yeah

like games with prettier graphics (and pokemon D<)
prettier graphics

That pisses me off. Only dumbfucks give half a shit about graphics. Don't talk about those who don't know.

(and pokemon D<)

And Pokemon is a great game series... well it used to be good until they started repeating the same crap.

In other news I like old games. I like old games a lot.

I play old games all the time. I own a NES (dead), a Megadrive (possibly dead) and even an MSX (alive and kicking). I used to play on my Megadrive until it stopped working. Same for my NES. Now I emulate them both, but it's just not the same.

Annnd...part of God Hand's charm (the game I'm going through right now) is because it resembles old beat 'em ups a lot (except it's fifty times better), mostly the enemies. You have guys in tight leather with mohawks, women in fetishistic outfits with whips and of course, kung fu masters. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

That's why it's so awesome, other than it being totally awesome in every other aspect. All of you need to go and play it right now.

I'd play them on their original consoles if I still had them >_>. I mostly play them on my Wii and DS. Now if only there's a working N64 emulator for the Wii <_<

It is getting there. I think the word you are looking for is playabe :lol: All I camn say is rome was not bulit in a day and unlike the other emulators there doesn't exist a gamecube version...

You should watch Toradora!. It's full of awesome, probably an excellent contender for the anime of this year. :P

The thing that put me off Toradora (apart from the fact I don't usually watch those kinds of series but the anime club showed the first episode) was the fact Taiga Aisaka is basically a rip-off of Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière from Zero no Tsukaima which I also have not watched. They even share the same voice actress;Rie Kugimiya. The eyes, hair are a bit different...but seeing such an obvious clone gives me doubts about the creativeness of the show...

Getting back to the subject. I play older games through emulation as hardware is a hassle. Just a few nights ago I went through the Marble Garden Zone of Sonic 3 as Knuckles you should have seen the boss battle, I had some terrible luck. I'm also having fun setting up the homebrew SNES and NES emulators for Wii. It has been iffy. 7zip support is as much a curse as a blessing, blessing as "Yay I won't have to delete countless file sand recompress" and a curse becuase "oh no I have to anyway as there isn't emough RAM to extract the ROMs unless the archive is made smaller i.e. I have to delete countless file sand recompress".

Also, for some reason Nazo no Murasamejo won't make the save files the emulated Famicom Disk System gives a write error upon file creation, looks like I'll have to keep playing my GBA copy

The thing that put me off Toradora (apart from the fact I don't usually watch those kinds of series but the anime club showed the first episode) was the fact Taiga Aisaka is basically a rip-off of Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière from Zero no Tsukaima which I also have not watched. They even share the same voice actress;Rie Kugimiya. The eyes, hair are a bit different...but seeing such an obvious clone gives me doubts about the creativeness of the show...

I've seen the Taiga comparison to that Louise girl on so much boards, it's getting tiring. For what I've read about both those characters, Taiga isn't a mere Louise rip-off, especially as the series (both anime and novels, and especially novels) goes on. Please give her a chance to see her evolve.

And seeing only the first episode of Toradora is narrowing your vision of the anime. The REAL fun starts as soon as Ami Kawashima enters the scene, and that occurs on Episode 5. She's so good and so complex of a char, I'm currently debating which of Miroku (Inuyasha) or Misty (Pokémon) will be kicked out of my top 12 fave fictional characters for her. And Minori (the char in my sig) becomes really amusing very early in the series ("GINYUU TOKUSENTAI !" => "FAKE BREAST SPECIAL FORCES !" FTW :D) as well. If there's a char in this series who should be bashed, if you're feeling like bashing someone, it would be Kitamura and its plainess rather than Taiga, IMO.

But I disgress.

That pisses me off. Only dumbfucks give half a shit about graphics. Don't talk about those who don't know.

The problem is, it seems there's more dumbfucks caring for graphics nowadays than say, ten years before. Well, at least that's the feeling I get. Why Sony and Microsoft would have went on a technological race for the best graphics and animation for their consoles, if they believed it wouldn't be a main selling point ?

But I totally agree with you otherwise. I just hate when people consider the quality of a game only on its graphics. IMO, the gameplay and fun factor of a game are the real quality checkers of a game, and that's why I'm liking older games more - you didn't need ultra fancy graphic at the time to make awesome games gameplay and fun factor wise then, while today it seems most of the companies go either the astounding-graphics-but-no-substance route, or the waggle-mini-game-quick-cash-in route. :/

I've seen the Taiga comparison to that Louise girl on so much boards, it's getting tiring. For what I've read about both those characters, Taiga isn't a mere Louise rip-off, especially as the series (both anime and novels, and especially novels) goes on. Please give her a chance to see her evolve.

And seeing only the first episode of Toradora is narrowing your vision of the anime. The REAL fun starts as soon as Ami Kawashima enters the scene, and that occurs on Episode 5. She's so good and so complex of a char, I'm currently debating which of Miroku (Inuyasha) or Misty (Pokémon) will be kicked out of my top 12 fave fictional characters for her. And Minori (the char in my sig) becomes really amusing very early in the series ("GINYUU TOKUSENTAI !" => "FAKE BREAST SPECIAL FORCES !" FTW :D) as well. If there's a char in this series who should be bashed, if you're feeling like bashing someone, it would be Kitamura and its plainess rather than Taiga, IMO.

But I disgress.

The problem is, it seems there's more dumbfucks caring for graphics nowadays than say, ten years before. Well, at least that's the feeling I get. Why Sony and Microsoft would have went on a technological race for the best graphics and animation for their consoles, if they believed it wouldn't be a main selling point ?

But I totally agree with you otherwise. I just hate when people consider the quality of a game only on its graphics. IMO, the gameplay and fun factor of a game are the real quality checkers of a game, and that's why I'm liking older games more - you didn't need ultra fancy graphic at the time to make awesome games gameplay and fun factor wise then, while today it seems most of the companies go either the astounding-graphics-but-no-substance route, or the waggle-mini-game-quick-cash-in route. :/

I saw someone on YouTube (on an LBP video because I've never heard of it) say that they play their PS3 more than their Wii and 360 because the PS3 has better graphics. That made me pretty mad.

I kinda care for graphics, but for new games that I expect something really beatiful, like GoW(God of War and Gears of War).

As for older games, I play them because they are great, and for some nostalgia factor.

Honestly, I just started playing older games now that I have an SNES emulator, and I'm currently enjoying the shit out of FE4. But I'm treating it as a new gaming experience, as I did not have an SNES and thus had no library for games from that system.

haha Hikarusa...*feels cool for offending you*

seriously though ive spoken to alot of gamers that find graphics to be their selling point..its sad..thats why theres a lot of Wii haters out there..simply because it "cant do what the other consoles can do" its like: "bite me pal, i like games for their quality of gameplay and fun factor"

Pokemon turned me off years and years ago..its just all the same crap with different monsters.. O_o maybe im too old for pokemon....(i always believed that for some reason.)

man..i love old games SOOO much...next gen stuff doesnt appeal to me..alot of the Wii titles, i dont even go for really..i love the new Castlevania games for the DS but thats about it..i slap on Symphony of the Night and jam away for hours on end in that gloriousness..