Virtual Console

Loki Laufeyson

yeah i see that...its ummm..not my style :P

not into shooters..my boyfriend might like it but...i aint spending the rest of me points on him :P

Lawl

It's not as shootery as many people think.

It's more Star Fox 64, then again if it's not your cup of tea that's kewl as well.

Anyway may I suggest F-Zero X if you don't have it on 64.

Get Super Mario Bros. and nothing else. Maybe Pac-Man, too.

People will obviously get tired of the same game over and over again.

But anyways, it's really more about what strikes your fancy. But if you want to follow what the crowd says, then by all means, get Sin and Punishment. And if you get more Wii points, then I would recommend getting the best game with the word 'super' in it. (I.e. Super Metroid)

Castlevania 4, Super Metroid or Kirby Superstar if you don't have them.

Surley you mean Kirby's Adventure on the NES (warning:Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland on the GBA is a remake of this) as Kirby Superstar won't be making an appearance on the virtual consoles for a long time due to something called Kirby Super Star Ultra on the DS.

I hear that World of goo is a very good game, so I reccomend that.

This. Seriously this. WiiWare needs some fucking love. I know this thread asked for virtual console games but seriously there are WiiWare titles that are well worth trying. World of goo is one that should be on everyones list. Depending on taste I would add the Art Style games and MaBoShi to that.

But if you insist on Virtual Console games I'll say just one. Phantasy Star IV. If you need convincing give the first two posts of this topic a read but here is a good excerpt (I've bolded the important bits):

Most of the little (but important) things in PSIV are done oh so right. Your default walking speed isn't painfully slow. The combat system places a lot of (not-so-obvious) tools at your disposal, making it almost completely unnecessary to grind provided that you take the time to learn how to work it. The battles themselves move at a brisk pace while being sufficiently animated. Instant death spells WORK! With high success rates, even!

Some of those are pretty rare for the time and other are still rare; even today :(

Disclaimer: My personal view is that WiiWare takes priority over Virtual Console for the simple fact WiiWare costs more money to make and the parties involved are usually in desperate need of that money while that isn't the case with Virtual Console which when you compare to retail Retro game packs (which usually have superior versions of titles) cost an absurd amount more (it is clear Nintendo that is the culpret, SEGA are happy to sell you a disc with 30 Megadrive titles for $30 so why is the VC $8 a Megadrive game?)

If you want to play ancient games, just get the bloody ROMs; they're free, and the emulators come with added support for things like Netplay and save states. The VC is a waste of money.

This, although I kind of wonder where one can get the translation patches for more obscure Japan-only releases. Also, how in hell would you be able to run Sin and Punishment on an emulator? Last I checked, S&H was super advanced for its system.

You'd have to play with 1964's plugins a bit. It CAN be done, but not easily. The N64 games are the only thing I can justify paying for, and even then, really, they're doing the same thing with their games as they move all of the controls to the retro pad.

There are more patches for Japanese games on emulators than on the VC. Put it that way. Really, the only game I could say "yes, get it for the VC" to is Sin and Punishment. Because the other import games are shooters that have virtually no Japanese.

Care to give any examples? 'Cause, unless you're not even trying and walk directly into some scam site, like with every other thing possible on the internet, there is no inherent danger to ROMs, not even legal.

Common sense keeps "danger" away, not common knowledge.

There are more patches for Japanese games on emulators than on the VC. Put it that way. Really, the only game I could say "yes, get it for the VC" to is Sin and Punishment. Because the other import games are shooters that have virtually no Japanese.

Sin and Punishment is the only one translation and even then the texture patches you can find on the internet do more than Nintendo did :(

I disagree with the statement the other import games are shooters. To name two (of about 6) Puyo Puyo 2 and DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure. Also they have quite a bit more than virtually no Japanese...all left untranslated as it doesn't get in the way :(

The final nail in the VC if you ask me is by ignoring it you don't have to put up with the gategeekers each week delivering garbage (the worst part is seeing the bloody discussions down at VC-reviews over it :( ). Seriously, the past few months have been one game weeks*. Fine if it is Phantasy Star IV (well actually not fine as everyone seems to ignore this title anyway plus the people who don't like RPGs...) but Enduro Racer on the Master System? (i'll put it like this the C64 version is more Arcade Perfect...).

Of course the garbage trail is partly due to Hudson halting TG16 releases in the US for the forseeable future to focus on WiiWare (to be fair every first party TG16 title released in the US is out bar a few CD games), NOAs own focus on WiiWare and a number of systems that are effectively dead as far as releases go (Neo-Geo, Genesis NES and N64). That said I'm not sure the Europe system is much better with WiiWare and virtual console alternating each week. Great you get two or three games an update but you have to wait two weeks effectively making it 1-1.5 and with the C64 pool to also draw releases from...

*-If I ignore 17th Nov which is pure fail due to Forgotten Worlds being better in the Capcom Classics Collection (arcade perfect there meaning it has all the levels for starters...) and Space Invaders at 800 points...800 points for fucking space invaders... :lol:

Nobody mentioned Shining Force? This is a FE forum, so I assume people here like like SRPG's to some degree. It was the first game I got when I got my first 2000 wii-points. The leftover 1200 points were spend on Tetris Party.

Nobody mentioned Shining Force? This is a FE forum, so I assume people here like like SRPG's to some degree. It was the first game I got when I got my first 2000 wii-points. The leftover 1200 points were spend on Tetris Party.

I can understand Shining Force 2 but the first one?

Plus it is on Genesis so must be ignored by everyone oh and then there is the fact that the upandcoming Xbox360 and PS3 Gensis compilations have it on ($30 for 40 or $8 for one...not hard though $0 for 500+ wins)

I would've, but I was suspended when this thread was made and I thought it was dead when I was un-suspended.

I don't care if you don't like shooters, get Sin and Punishment