Do you read the instructions when you first buy a game?

Ragnell

Do you read instructions?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

• Yes, most of the time
    • No, instructions are for losers!
    • Sometimes, it depends

I only read manuals that tell you how the game works, not just how to interface with it. For example, Civilization III came with a 100 page manual that explained all the game systems, which I read cover-to-cover more than once. On the other hand, I just bought the remake of Dragon Quest 4 which came with a flimsy little instruction booklet which I didn't even bother opening.

Edited by Commissar Gaunt

I always skim through them just to get a feel for what's going to be in the game. Then, if I can't find adequate help in-game, I go back and take a look at the manual, or online.

On a random note, I remember how I couldn't get past the first boss in Illusion of Gaia, when I was younger, so I had to make do with reading the mini walkthrough in the instruction manual.

Reminded me of the Mini-Walkthroughs in the instructions for the original Pokémon games, those were good times. And yeah, I skim through for any little hints.

Edited by Tingle

I did when I was younger and they were actually long plus had some pretty funny remarks in them. I remember fondly the Sonic 3 instruction manual having a super tips section which described there being some hidden traps that no matter how you tried you wouldn't be able to escape from. Of course that was just SEGA covering their backs regarding imperfect colission detection (I've been trapped in walls, telekinetically killed and also not be killed by things supposed to kill me).

Then I moved onto controls page when first got game and read manual after first play. But nowerdays it is quite rare I read them because if I do this thing called a tutorial will tell me everything...even the controls. Yet people still miss it and decree the game has something wrong.

As far as RPGs go, I read the original Pokemon trainers guide (which was awesome, I wonder why they stopped and how younger players get on these days with the game?) but otherwise I don't read the manuals as they tend to spoil minor aspects be it characters you meet, party members you get, features you obtain (I'm pleased I didn't read the Phoenix Wright Justice for all manual as

Pshyce Locks

were spoiled...just a shame I did read the back of the box* and reviews which made big news of the feature :( )

*-I don't normally either making it all the worse :lol:

I used to love game manuals. Nintendo ones especially were always so colorful and were filled with all kinds of art. Though, since more and more games these days opt to relay information through in-game tutorials instead of instruction booklets, the manuals have lost relevance, and it's obvious that not as much effort goes into making them anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if developers stopped including manuals altogether in a few years.