Why is US boxart always so shitty?

Agro

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you care to cite some examples of "shitty" US boxart?

lots of the us versions of games box arts are not as appealing as the JP/EU versions :/ but im too lazy to get pics right now

The US boxart for the original Megaman is possibly the worst boxart ever.

Damn, I was going to say that.

Also, Fester's Quest and Paperboy's boxarts are hideous.

*Most PAL Versions are just the title*

*Most US Versions have kewl picturez*

Yeah US has much shitier ones.

*fails to see shittyness of US boxart in comparison to non-US*

What the fuck is PAL? Sorry, I'm kind of slow in that department.

In any case, the FFXII boxart looks pretty good, actually.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/PAL

Why is US boxart so trashy? It seems to lack artistic quality and instead focuses on what the game offers.

Shouldn't that be the boxart in the first place? For example, in the RE NGC remake. If you see a cover with RESIDENT EVIL in bold letters and blood you won't be like "Hey, this is a game where you kill zombies! Sounds interesting, I'll get it.", no. In the US version you can clearly see a human and a zombie. And that human attempting to kill the zombie.

Pretty words don't sell the game, knowing what the game is sells the game.

Okay, I'll reword, since it seems to have been misinterpreted: Why is US boxart so trashy? It seems to lack artistic quality and instead focuses on what the game offers.
Shouldn't that be the boxart in the first place? For example, in the RE NGC remake. If you see a cover with RESIDENT EVIL in bold letters and blood you won't be like "Hey, this is a game where you kill zombies! Sounds interesting, I'll get it.", no. In the US version you can clearly see a human and a zombie. And that human attempting to kill the zombie.

That's what I thought as well....

Looking at those, I think I prefer the US ones anyway, especially the RE0 one.

word!

but..my question is:

Does it really warrent that much concern?

Like I said, artistic quality. The US boxart tends to be more "theatrical" - characters and whatnot. The PAL art (especially Final Fantasy) showcases a more artistic cover. This is the kind of first impression I get:

PAL: "Wow, this is a really effective cover... let's see what it's about!"

US: "This looks kind of cheesy... maybe not..."

The problem is the "cool" pictures look really... bad. The title alone makes it so much more powerful, and shifts the emphasis onto RESIDENT EVIL rather than "Hey it's Billy and Rebecca... oh but you have no idea who we are."

What I think is that the PAL covers are aimed at people who will say "Hey, I've heard about that game..." whereas the US covers are more about "This looks cool". Personally I've always been more fond of artistic value (it shows the quality of the designers and artists) over "cool" images.

I know, I know, it's because Americans are stupid!

Note the strikethrough; that was a joke. What I'm saying is that it ultimately comes down to cool vs. stylish and I guess since you guys are used to cool you pick cool over stylish.

Note the strikethrough; that was a joke. What I'm saying is that it ultimately comes down to cool vs. stylish and I guess since you guys are used to cool you pick cool over stylish.

I was totally taking it seriously. It's fine. I don't actually find anything "stylish" about having just the title and a blank background, but that's just me.

Also, every Kirby boxart. In the Japanese versions, he's all pissed off like he'll kill you, in the english versions, he looks just about ready to piss himself.

Edit: Lol, mever mind, I had it backwards. So one instance where US boxart is better.

Edited by Tingle

Hey, Europeans get crappy box art too!

I present: what Europe did to Breath of Fire III

Sorry I couldn't find a larger picture, but this thing is so ugly people don't want it on the internet. Short description:

-Some weird round grayish thing

-Barbie with wings on fire. And her mouth is hanging open.

Is it supposed to be Nina? Poor Nina...

Like I said, artistic quality. The US boxart tends to be more "theatrical" - characters and whatnot. The PAL art (especially Final Fantasy) showcases a more artistic cover. This is the kind of first impression I get:

PAL: "Wow, this is a really effective cover... let's see what it's about!"

US: "This looks kind of cheesy... maybe not..."

The problem is the "cool" pictures look really... bad. The title alone makes it so much more powerful, and shifts the emphasis onto RESIDENT EVIL rather than "Hey it's Billy and Rebecca... oh but you have no idea who we are."

What I think is that the PAL covers are aimed at people who will say "Hey, I've heard about that game..." whereas the US covers are more about "This looks cool". Personally I've always been more fond of artistic value (it shows the quality of the designers and artists) over "cool" images.

I know, I know, it's because Americans are stupid!

Who cares about art? This is a video game, not a gallery of Fine Greek Sculptures. Also, PAL covers are taking the risk that the buyer will 1) have heard of the game or 2) decided to pick a game at random for to purchasing and came across their specific game. American game covers are different: If you've heard of the game, the cover shouldn't change a thing. And if you haven't heard of the game, the cover gives you a bit of insight as to what it's about, so you know whether or not you wanna buy it.

Also, if you wanna talk about artistic quality, most PAL covers are text-only, and there's very little artistic quality in that.

Hey, Europeans get crappy box art too!

I present: what Europe did to Breath of Fire III

Sorry I couldn't find a larger picture, but this thing is so ugly people don't want it on the internet. Short description:

-Some weird round grayish thing

-Barbie with wings on fire. And her mouth is hanging open.

Is it supposed to be Nina? Poor Nina...

*kills self*

This site has a list of Japanese Artwork for US/EU games:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/jap.../japanboxes.htm

It's an interesting comparison for some.

Hmmm, definitely interesting. I can't honestly say which country I prefer in general, but a few games were obviously in one countries favor.