Code Geass R2

Doom103

That happens with pretty much any popualr anime these days. Thankfully, time wears these things down (and so a quality anime is tested by how highly rated it is compared to its age*). The worst is when you get get top 10 wars that was precisely the reason a certain anime site had to remove the top 10 (it still exists; you can't see the list).

*-Of course popularity means some great shows will never shine. Legend of the Galatic Heroes (the impression I get is this will never be liscenced due to one of the parties being uncooperative) and Future Boy Conan are examples I would use (though, the latter does have some popular as it is "hey gais Hayo Miyazaki" going for it).

From what I remember it wasn't in the TV broadcast. It was added to the DVDs along with more boob bounce it is quite normal for things to be re-animated and scenes re-drawn we just see it more often since the TV rips have a bigger audience/digital preservation.

I watched it in japs, and I don't remember, XD

Who buys the DVD now a days

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Code Geass's popularity stems partially from the fact that it's the antithesis of Gundam, a series that's already huge in Japan (and somewhat popular in the US, but not as much). All the characters are based upon Gundam stereotypes (Suzaku, for example, would fit the "Amuro Rei" Stereotype while Lelouch fits the "Char Aznable" stereotype), then reverses their perspectives. The ones who would normally be villains become the heroes, and vice versa. Deep down, Code Geass isn't the greatest series out there (Though IMO it did have one of the best endings), but it's popularity stems from how well it parallels a long-standing series that already exists.

R2 was crap, ending was too good though

R1 was cool, I liked the political plot and the fanservice isn't anywhere as bad as bleach.

Short R1 was great and R2 failed.

lol Suzaku kick = Konoha Sempu!

It has a (badly-written) political plot, fan service, high school teenagers, more fan service, mechas, even gay fan service, CLAMP's art style to attract the Tsubasa fangirls, and guess what...? Even more fan service.

I thought the plot got pretty enjoyable, the fan-service wasn't really irritating, high school teenagers as main characters are the center of nearly every anime in existence, mecha are common (and I like mecha anime a lot anyways), and the art style felt pretty sharp and alright.

I'm really under the impression that Sunrise is taking its viewers for idiots... and the worst part is that they are actually taking the bait.

I'm just not seeing where you're getting this. I think you're overreacting.

-The one million Zero thing. Nice idea, huh? But is it believable? Hell no, because they never explain how Zero managed to produce one million masks + costumes in such a small amount of time. When you think about it, it's really silly, because it's impossible to be done in terms of logistic. It's just one more of these ideas Sunrise threw in because they thought it was cool.

Welcome to all of anime. Is it believable that anything happened in the show? Questioning how he got a millions suits is the last thing you should be doing in a show about mechs and mind-powers.

It's about as impossible as building a bipedal weapon that shoots lasers and is operated mainly with two joysticks and a trackball.

-Is it believable to see someone taking 50 bullets and miraculously survive (only to die two episodes later in one of the worst deus ex machina possible)?

Yes. Individuals looking like they are dead and then coming back is not all that unlikely. But even if this is taken as a ridiculous event, you can't honestly be saying that you hate the anime because of that one part.

-Would you believe that there are still ninjas living in the 21st century?

Would you believe that someone could do a quadruple-spin roundhouse kick to knock a weapon from an assailant's hands?

While I'd agree that the ninja-maid bit did not fit as well, it wasn't that unbelievable.

-And finally this.

->Did they have to draw her in that very uncomfortable position?

->Since when strait jackets stop at thighs level?

->Why is her belt undone?

->Why is there food when she has a gag?

->Why is there food when her hands are tied behind her back?

It's fanservice. Countless anime have it. Not something that really bothered me.

Just saw Shirley's death. Boy was that not a happy ending for that episode... I liked her, too :(

Hated her. Her death was touching, I thought, in that he tried everything he could to save her with the Geass and it all did nothing. A pretty powerful scene

But overall as a character she never caught on for me.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

I thought the plot got pretty enjoyable, the fan-service wasn't really irritating, high school teenagers as main characters are the center of nearly every anime in existence,

Only the bad ones.

and the art style felt pretty sharp and alright.

Only in the beginning. It was crap in the last episodes.

Welcome to all of anime.

Only the bad ones. And please don't make it sounds like I'm a newcomer in the anime community.

Questioning how he got a millions suits is the last thing you should be doing in a show about mechs and mind-powers.

Code Geass is supposed to be a real robot series (of course, Sunrise has absolutely no consistency and completely forgot about it in season 2 when Suzaku Jesus Kururugi kicked in), unlike TTGL, for instance, which is a super robot anime. So, I don't see why I shouldn't question it.

Yes. Individuals looking like they are dead and then coming back is not all that unlikely. But even if this is taken as a ridiculous event, you can't honestly be saying that you hate the anime because of that one part.

I believe I've said more about Code Geass beside that one part.

Would you believe that someone could do a quadruple-spin roundhouse kick to knock a weapon from an assailant's hands?

If you're talking about the shonen fight type anime (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece...), I find them equally as bad as CG, so I'm sorry, but I don't really see what's your point here. >.>

While I'd agree that the ninja-maid bit did not fit as well, it wasn't that unbelievable.

It's fanservice. Countless anime have it.

Again, only the bad ones. There are also countless anime that don't use fan service (and most of the time, they are arguably better than the ones that use it.)

Hated her. Her death was touching, I thought, in that he tried everything he could to save her with the Geass and it all did nothing. A pretty powerful scene

But overall as a character she never caught on for me.

At least something we agree on. :o Though, even if the scene was pretty powerful as you said, it was totally ruined by the following episode with Lelouch x Lolo's scene.

Only the bad ones.

I'm going to have to disagree, since most of my favorite anime have to do with high school-aged main characters.

Only in the beginning. It was crap in the last episodes.

I was a bit of the opposite opinion; I didn't like it very much in the beginning, but got used to it over time. The animation was really pretty entertaining when it came to battles, too.

Only the bad ones. And please don't make it sounds like I'm a newcomer in the anime community.

I believe earlier you mentioned that you liked Noein. It is completely unbelievable for several of the events that occurred in the anime to have happened. An example, even if we suspend our disbelief in most areas, is in the final episode when

Koriyama is shot and should have died, only to say "I guess there's a me that can't be shot!"

. However, despite this, the anime is entertaining and fun to watch.

Code Geass is supposed to be a real robot series (of course, Sunrise has absolutely no consistency and completely forgot about it in season 2 when Suzaku Jesus Kururugi kicked in), unlike TTGL, for instance, which is a super robot anime. So, I don't see why I shouldn't question it.

It doesn't matter if it's a "real" robot series, because in actual reality, such things are not real. Unless you're saying that laser beam explosions, mind powers allowing you to tell anyone to do anything, and gigantic air battleships exist.

If you're talking about the shonen fight type anime (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece...), I find them equally as bad as CG, so I'm sorry, but I don't really see what's your point here. >.>

The point being that you're nitpicking about something that is comparatively not very ridiculous at all.

Again, only the bad ones. There are also countless anime that don't use fan service (and most of the time, they are arguably better than the ones that use it.)

I don't find fan-service all that bad, and the ninja bit was again not all that bad, and not very often seen anyways.

At least something we agree on. :o Though, even if the scene was pretty powerful as you said, it was totally ruined by the following episode with Lelouch x Lolo's scene.

You mean Rolo's death scene? I thought that was later on, and I liked that one a lot actually.

I'm going to have to disagree, since most of my favorite anime have to do with high school-aged main characters.

Sigh, I think I wasn't the only one who was generalizing too much.

Yes, there are good animes, featuring high-school students (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya / Twelve Kingdoms).

But honestly, you know it will be bad when it features students saving the world or fighting against a superpower. And I'm not even talking about harems. Harems are the worst.

I was a bit of the opposite opinion; I didn't like it very much in the beginning, but got used to it over time. The animation was really pretty entertaining when it came to battles, too.

Angry Lelouch wants to have a word with you. (Episode 21)

I believe earlier you mentioned that you liked Noein.

Yes, not that it was the best thing ever done (it has its flaws), but I surely liked it.

It is completely unbelievable for several of the events that occurred in the anime to have happened. An example, even if we suspend our disbelief in most areas, is in the final episode when

Koriyama is shot and should have died, only to say "I guess there's a me that can't be shot!"

. However, despite this, the anime is entertaining and fun to watch.

Huh? The show is about quantum physics and how there might be infinite different time spaces (you can even see how Karasu and Noein's world are different). While Koriyama's statement is a bit strange

because he was dying...hurr...

, it's not completely absurd for him to say that considering his personnality.

BTW, the major difference between Noein and Code Geass is that Noein had an average ending but it was constantly good beside that - Also the ending can't really be held against the show because Noein had a very low budget. In fact, it was so low that they finished the last episode the day before it was aired, while under normal circunstances, an episode is usually finished one month before it is aired. - While Code Geass has...gnnh... hot chicks? a rather good ending, but really nothing inbetween!

It doesn't matter if it's a "real" robot series, because in actual reality, such things are not real. Unless you're saying that laser beam explosions, mind powers allowing you to tell anyone to do anything, and gigantic air battleships exist.

You seem to have misunderstood that I don't mind unrealistic elements.

Would you believe that one of my favorite anime series features a talking motorcycle and where the main characters visits countries that look almost like different worlds. Still, the world they created despite being fanciful, is believable and that's what I like about it.

If you want a better example, bringing people back to life in a vampire series is alright to me. Bringing people back to life in a series that is supposed to be set in a world that is close to ours isn't.

The point being that you're nitpicking about something that is comparatively not very ridiculous at all.

...That's why I really don't mind the Geass idea. I think it's a nice element to make the story progress. What bothers me is how Lelouch uses it sometimes:

-

When Shirley discovered that he was Zero, he erased her entire memory of him,

while he could have just erased the memory that she saw him. It would have caused him less problems at school. Erasing her entire memory was a bit stupid for someone who's pretending to be a super intelligent being. Actually, Sunrise just wanted to add more drama.

-Also seeing him brainwashing everyone but saying that he wanted to let them the choice of their future was simply ridiculous. It was totally out of character seeing that his objectives from the start of season 1 to R2's episode 21 were always personnal. I usually love to see a character's personnality evolving (like in 12 Kingdoms where it's the things they are experiencing that turn the characters from mentally weak to strong.), but seeing him suddenly care about the whole world was just too drastic.

I don't find fan-service all that bad, and the ninja bit was again not all that bad, and not very often seen anyways.

I'm a fervent fan service hater, so don't really mind that argument if you don't like it.

You mean Rolo's death scene? I thought that was later on, and I liked that one a lot actually.

No, not that one. The one where

Lolo tells him that he killed Shirley

and then Lelouch is all "You did the best thing" "Let's make gay sex" "We'll always be together."

Edited by Marthur

and then Lelouch is all "You did the best thing" "Let's make gay sex" "We'll always be together."

Lelouch was obviously lying and covering up his feelings there, since he tried to turn Rolo into a suicide bomber a couple episodes later.

Lelouch was obviously lying and covering up his feelings there, since he tried to turn Rolo into a suicide bomber a couple episodes later.

This isn't the problem (well, not quite). The problem is the fact that it follows directly

Shirley's "dramatic death".

Pleasing the Lolo x Lelouch's fangirls wasn't exactly the best thing to do after that scene.

Edited by Marthur

I just finished this and boy i gotta say it's nothing like I've seen before

I feel bad for Nunally... I mean all she wanted was to live with her Brother, but he ended up dying

There are some things I don't get, but oh well, I'll worry about that later. Overall, I fucking loved it

R.I.P. Euphie, Shirley, Rolo, Lelouch

Edited by coolguyvaters

We're still not sure on that last one there, since

some people are convinced Lelouch had Charles's Code (Which is why Charles was able to be killed and why C.C. is still talking to him in the ending) and was thus immortal.

-Also seeing him brainwashing everyone but saying that he wanted to let them the choice of their future was simply ridiculous. It was totally out of character seeing that his objectives from the start of season 1 to R2's episode 21 were always personnal. I usually love to see a character's personnality evolving (like in 12 Kingdoms where it's the things they are experiencing that turn the characters from mentally weak to strong.), but seeing him suddenly care about the whole world was just too drastic.

I'm a fervent fan service hater, so don't really mind that argument if you don't like it.

His objectives while personal, were also general. Essentially, he wants to have a free world, his methods simply are different than other peoples.

As to that whole scene with Lelouch and Rolo there...

Seriously, I don't see that as being very odd at all. Lelouch still needed Rolo around, so he didn't pull a scene.

Sigh, I think I wasn't the only one who was generalizing too much.

Yes, there are good animes, featuring high-school students (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya / Twelve Kingdoms).

But honestly, you know it will be bad when it features students saving the world or fighting against a superpower.

I'm going to have to disagree again. I understand exactly where you're coming from, because some anime that center around high school students are ridiculously annoying to me (Tenjo Tenge comes to mind, in which classes of students are kung-fu masters, and the student council is a shadow government), but as long as it's worked well, I believe it can be pretty fine. I thought that Code Geass didn't become annoying in how it worked, myself.

Angry Lelouch wants to have a word with you. (Episode 21)

It doesn't seem all that bad to me. I mean hell, one of my more favorite anime, Ergo Proxy, has moments of crap; but overall, the animation is well done and entertaining to watch.

Huh? The show is about quantum physics and how there might be infinite different time spaces (you can even see how Karasu and Noein's world are different).

While Koriyama's statement is a bit strange because he was dying...hurr...

, it's not completely absurd for him to say that considering his personnality.

I'm not talking about his comment, I'm talking about the ridiculously small likelihood of there being a "him" that can't be shot, and that he converged with at such a perfect moment. Why didn't anyone else have something ridiculous like "apparently there's a me that can breathe fire and shoot laser beams from my eyes!"?

BTW, the major difference between Noein and Code Geass is that Noein had an average ending but it was constantly good beside that - Also the ending can't really be held against the show because Noein had a very low budget. In fact, it was so low that they finished the last episode the day before it was aired, while under normal circunstances, an episode is usually finished one month before it is aired. - While Code Geass has...gnnh... hot chicks? a rather good ending, but really nothing inbetween!

I personally thought that there were few fights in Code Geass that were not epic, or well thought out and animated. So most of the second season was a real blast to watch.

You seem to have misunderstood that I don't mind unrealistic elements.

Would you believe that one of my favorite anime series features a talking motorcycle and where the main characters visits countries that look almost like different worlds. Still, the world they created despite being fanciful, is believable and that's what I like about it.

If you want a better example, bringing people back to life in a vampire series is alright to me. Bringing people back to life in a series that is supposed to be set in a world that is close to ours isn't.

Code Geass' world is not that close to ours at all; it clearly plays by entirely different physics, the history of the world divurged hundreds of years before ours, and there are magical powers. Main characters coming back to life after they have seemed dead happens all the time; and yeah, I thought it didn't fit in very well, but it didn't much contribute to dislike of the series, because it was a small event that was eclipsed anyways.

It wasn't. Lelouch's original objectives were still important in his mind, he just came to realize that what he had been doing was something a total scumbag would do.

Which is probably why by the time he thought of Zero Requiem's creation he decided to atone for his transgressions by offing himself.

He was trying to lead Rolo on and keep control of him. This is completely obvious when he maintains control after having just practically exploded in sorrow five minutes beforehand. I thought it was pretty sad in that he could not even give more than a few moments of weakness show, and covered it all up quickly.

It doesn't seem all that bad to me.

But it is, compared to the beginning of the series. That was only one example, but character animations became really sloppy near the end...

I personally thought that there were few fights in Code Geass that were not epic, or well thought out and animated. So most of the second season was a real blast to watch.

...The reason why the mecha fight scenes remained good is because they were done by different people.

I'm not talking about his comment, I'm talking about the ridiculously small likelihood of there being a "him" that can't be shot, and that he converged with at such a perfect moment. Why didn't anyone else have something ridiculous like "apparently there's a me that can breathe fire and shoot laser beams from my eyes!"?

If you want me to say that that was a terrible coincidence. Fine. It doesn't change the fact that said coincidences are worst and perpetual in Code Geass.

Code Geass' world is not that close to ours at all; it clearly plays by entirely different physics, the history of the world divurged hundreds of years before ours, and there are magical powers. Main characters coming back to life after they have seemed dead happens all the time; and yeah, I thought it didn't fit in very well, but it didn't much contribute to dislike of the series, because it was a small event that was eclipsed anyways.

Even if Code Geass' world is slightly different than ours, it's still designed so that people who die should remain dead. Now look at how many people came back to life without any given reasons: Mao, Jeremiah (which is a fine example since he came back to life at least twice [i actually forgot the count]), Marianne, Nunally etc... (I can't even remember them all since it's so common) I seriously hope that they won't bring Lelouch back to life in a third season, because that would just make R2's ending meaningless.

It wasn't. Lelouch's original objectives were still important in his mind, he just came to realize that what he had been doing was something a total scumbag would do.

Which is probably why by the time he thought of Zero Requiem's creation he decided to atone for his transgressions by offing himself.

Wow, being a scumbag during 45 episodes and then suddenly realising that, is the best character development I've ever seen. [/sarcasm]

I'm sorry but compared to other animes, that was actually one of the worst character development I've ever seen.

He was trying to lead Rolo on and keep control of him. This is completely obvious when he maintains control after having just practically exploded in sorrow five minutes beforehand. I thought it was pretty sad in that he could not even give more than a few moments of weakness show, and covered it all up quickly.

Still, putting fan service wasn't necessary at all and the scene wouldn't have looked so stupid to me if it had not been there, which was my point.

Edited by Marthur

But it is, compared to the beginning of the series. That was only one example, but character animations became really sloppy near the end...

I don't really agree with that, as it seemed pretty fine at the end of the series.

...The reason why the mecha fight scenes remained good is because they were done by different people.

I don't understand what you're saying.

If you want me to say that that was a terrible coincidence. Fine. It doesn't change the fact that said coincidences are worst and perpetual in Code Geass.

No, they're not.

Even if Code Geass' world is slightly different than ours, it's still designed so that people who die should remain dead. Now look at how many people came back to life without any given reasons: Mao, Jeremiah (which is a fine example since he came back to life at least twice [i actually forgot the count]), Marianne, Nunally etc... (I can't even remember them all since it's so common) I seriously hope that they won't bring Lelouch back to life in a third season, because that would just make R2's ending meaningless.

Marianne survived because of her Geass, it was clearly explained and made sense. Nunnally survived because the escape craft that was destroyed was a completely different one, and Jeremiah came back because he was one bad motherfucker, and he deserved more showtime (and having him come back as a Terminator is doubly awesome).

Wow, being a scumbag during 45 episodes and then suddenly realising that, is the best character development I've ever seen. [/sarcasm]

I'm sorry but compared to other animes, that was actually one of the worst character development I've ever seen.

It's brutally clear in even the first season that Lelouch is questioning his motives and means by which to achieve his objectives. He realized what he was doing was wrong, and later worked to integrate his horrible behavior into making a plan for the world to be better by offing himself. It's not out of character, and there's nothing that I find very horrible about it at all. It's one of the highlights of the series for me, in fact.

Still, putting fan service wasn't necessary at all and the scene wouldn't have looked so stupid to me if it had not been there, which was my point.

I don't really think it was fan service, and it had a legitimate plot-related reason for occurring.

Please, dude. Where do you get off being so sure that the writers had originally killed off Mao, Jeremiah, Marianne, and Nunnaly? How do you know that their perceived deaths weren't planned from the start? It's a common plot device. I hope you don't roll your eyes when paramedics revive someone after their heart stops.

Come on, man. I'm assuming you watched the show, but if you watched a lot of anime, I guess it's feasible that you forget at several points in both seasons he has serious doubts about the morality of his actions.

I don't really agree with that, as it seemed pretty fine at the end of the series.

But you're not looking hard enough into it.

At the end, when the characters are talking, only the mouth is moving but their face is completely fixed. You don't even see their eyes blinking. (Examples: 2:19 when Charles is talking or 2:12 where his mouth isn't even moving).

You can't deny that it is quite mediocre for a 2008 production. (Also, one example of good animation for comparison's sake:

)
I don't understand what you're saying.

Sorry for my bad English (which isn't my mother tongue.)

I was saying that the fight scenes were good because the staff in charge of them was different from the one doing the characters' animations. Yes, that was a positive comment from me for once.

No, they're not.

Fan favouritism is often subjective. ^Saying that there are no coincidence in Code Geass is one perfect example.

Come on, the show practically lives off the stuff! I've already mentionned Lelouch's talk about killing the Elevens and the Geass going out of control at that exact moment. What about Shirley being coincidently in the right place to see Lelouch's face (Mao's arc)? Or when Lelouch found out about Suzaku’s identity, when his mecha was cut exactly so that it would show the guy’s face, but not hurt him or stop the mecha from moving. Or when Suzaku disarmed Mao's bomb, synchronising with it and cutting the wire at the exact moment... And the list could go on indefinitely.

Now please tell me again that Code Geass doesn't rely on coincidences.

Marianne survived because of her Geass, it was clearly explained and made sense.

And what was the point since she had no personnality other than "I agree with Charles." She was also one of the reason why Lelouch wanted to take revenge against Charles. It kinda defeats the whole point of season 1. IMO, that just shows that Sunrise wanted to take one direction in season 1 but took a completely different one in season 2.

Nunnally survived because the escape craft that was destroyed was a completely different one, and Jeremiah came back because he was one bad motherfucker, and he deserved more showtime (and having him come back as a Terminator is doubly awesome).

Then, it's alright as long as it looks cool? What kind of argument is that?

Okay, so I'm going to rephrase what I wanted to say. How many times did they use the 'thought-to-be-dead character' card (i.e. Person A seems to die, Person B is overcome by grief, Person A is actually not dead)? It's alright if that does not happen very often but it becomes very silly and boring when it's used more that ten times.

I don't really think it was fan service, and it had a legitimate plot-related reason for occurring.

So you're basically saying that being two inches from each other is perfectly normal when talking to somebody? :mellow:

Come on, man. I'm assuming you watched the show, but if you watched a lot of anime, I guess it's feasible that you forget at several points in both seasons he has serious doubts about the morality of his actions.

Actually I couldn't take the the series seriously after 10 episodes, so I wasn't even trying to understand the characters anymore. :(

Then, it's alright as long as it looks cool? What kind of argument is that?
Code Geass is entertainment. Shouldn't a show strive to do whatever entertains?
Actually I couldn't take the the series seriously after 10 episodes, so I wasn't even trying to understand the characters anymore. :(
Then why talk so confidently about things you're not even sure you understand? >__>

Code Geass is entertainment. Shouldn't a show strive to do whatever entertains?

Yes, as long as it does not completely destroy the credibilility of the story. (i.e. Seeing Jeremiah killing Lelouch's minions was alright, but it turned out completely stupid when directly after that, he pledged his allegiance to him.)

Then why talk so confidently about things you're not even sure you understand? >__>

Because if the character development was good, it would have raised my interest considerably. The fact is that never happened.

Yes, as long as it does not completely destroy the credibilility of the story. (i.e. Seeing Jeremiah killing Lelouch's minions was alright, but it turned out completely stupid when directly after that, he pledged his allegiance to him.)
I'll agree with you that that was kind of a "....wat" event for me, but it sure didn't "completely destroy the credibility of the story." I'm getting the feeling you're using a lot of hyperbole.
Because if the character development was good, it would have raised my interest considerably. The fact is that never happened.
The opinion is that it never happened. But relax, I'm not really going to argue this.