Warcraft 3 = Fire Emblem?

Celice

While looking at my daily pirate goings, I came across this, which I haven't seen before--nor do I think anyone else has either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=239K6SL-yNw...feature=related

I need to find this. Looks alright, and pirates are always fun to see how they're adapted. First a good Final Fantasy side-scrollin' fighter, and now this--pirates aren't all crappy like FFVII and the like :o

I tried to hunt down this pirate ROM, but I've had absolutely no success. I've been very interested in it.

EDIT: I also would listen to the video by playing it over just for the music.

Edited by FE3 Player

I still have the ROM of number 1 of this series. I didn't know they actually made a sequel to it, let alone a second sequel.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like it'd be too hard to find, but some Chinese writing/reading skills might be needed : P

...Actually, that looks almost exactly like the ROM I have. Except the title screen is a bit worse. Maybe I got a later version of it.

Edited by VincentASM

I've learned that, like any good pirate company, this was either released twice or another company removed the original release "publisher" from the intro. It looked like the SEGA logo, if that helps :E

Would a pirate ROM be against the TOS of this board? Yes it's a ROM, but it's technically not copyrighted, lest the pirates themselves would prefer to get their own legal issues riling around :o

Would a pirate ROM be against the TOS of this board? Yes it's a ROM, but it's technically not copyrighted, lest the pirates themselves would prefer to get their own legal issues riling around :o

I'm not too sure. Probably not, but I'd ask the others about it.

I like the music, though...

It's a trap. Soon afterwards all you'll be hearing are repetitive 3~5 second loops of music.

• 1 month later...

Anyway, if you're clever enough, no need to type in chinese , just copy paste the romanji name into google, and you'll find it on a french rom/emu site lmao :lol:

A great hack/pirate game anyway, really close to a real FE . But the graphics are not really above a NES game, neither does the music sadly... :(

But the graphics are not really above a NES game, neither does the music sadly... sad.gif
Well of course, it's a GBC game. The GBC is pretty much a portable NES, give or take technical advantages. Edited by Chainey

Well of course, it's a GBC game. The GBC is pretty much a portable NES, give or take technical advantages.

Still, the ability to utilize RGB palettes rather than pre-determined ones, as well as the place palettes on every 8x8 tile rather than 16x16 tile, can make the game look amazing.

Unless you're looking at pure detail. Then you're limited as far as 16 individual pixels (32 if you go by sprites included).

Pixel art can look damn fine either-or. Just look up the numerous pixelart fansites around >.> (like Pixelation)

Yes, I know that both the NES & GBC are capable of amazing pixel work (I am a pixel artist myself).

Look at his comment again, and note that he's disappointed that the graphics aren't above an NES game, which could look like anything. I took it as him expecting him the kind of graphics that are unreasonable for the hardware, and even if the game did look better, we would still be calling them GBC/NES graphics anyway.

It's a trap. Soon afterwards all you'll be hearing are repetitive 3~5 second loops of music.

It doesn't really matter if that one piece of music is great. You only hear it for one or two chapters and then the rest of the game's music is just begging for the mute button.

I'll admit that piece is pretty decent though. If only they had kept up the quality, but I understand it might have been difficult.

I may finally get this. One of the only ROMs I'll allow myself to download since it's a pirate anyway.

This would make a great video playthrough if I do get it.

EDIT: Got it. Playing it now.

Edited by Chainey

Has anyone found out more information about this game?

I found the ROM and am playing it. That's the best source of information possible.

- Main hero only has 4 Movement. Movement in general is quite low, actually. 4 is the average, and 5 for mounted units.

- Critical hits don't do anything, possibly bugged.

- Haven't been able to double anything yet. Even your Pegasus Knight only has 7 speed.

- This game uses a "pick your stat" leveling system, allowing you "perfect" level ups every single time.

- Graphics are ripped from several pre-FE6 games, but they're applied well. The NES sprites on the maps and battles look great on SNES maptiles and backgrounds.

- Game uses an easy-mode save system, which are basically quick saves that don't delete themselves, and let you continue playing. You can do hard saves on preparation screens.

EDIT: I still haven't figured out what most non-weapon items do, and how to use them. I still haven't figured out how to get vulneraries from the convoy (I do remember buying some, or what I thought were some).

This is really a decent game for a pirate. I think I like it better than FE Gaiden.

EDIT 2: In-between chapters has a lot of dialogue between the characters. Not just the main hero, but rather your army talking amongst themselves. Cool.

EDIT 3: I disagree on the music part, I think a lot of the music thus far is listenable.

EDIT 4: This game looks much better if you set Visual Boy Advance to "Gameboy Mode" to make the colors look more like what they would be on GBC.

Edited by Chainey

I just completed the game. The game actually takes a long time; it's around 18 chapters and the latter chapters can take an hour or so to complete depending on how many characters you used.

To add onto Chainey's observations:

-Characters come back the next chapter even if they die

-In addition to weapons, you may equip a shield. Most characters start with a default one that grants 1 def and 1 m def. The later ones grant 5-10 of each and give an evade bonus

-Aside from HP and SP (No function?) the core stats from top to bottom are power (str/mag), defense, resistance, skill, and speed

-Doubling doesn't seem to exist. Instead, speed is only a factor in avoid

-Skill and speed give around 3 accuracy/avoid each

-Defense and resistance can becomes very high as the game progresses, but because there's a one damage minimum like Gaiden HP is a very viable stat

-Weapons not only have mt and accuracy, but may also have avoid and defense bonuses.

-Weapons are either long range or close range. Magic can't counter close range, making magic using bosses very easy.

-You may equip weapons that you can't even yield, but you won't be able to attack with them.

-Items may only be bought between chapters. Weapons and armors only change every few chapters.

-Stat ups appear in the item shop in the item shop for 8000G partway through the game. They change in a set pattern every chapter, ranging from +3 power to +5 SP.

-You usually earn about 8000G automatically every chapter in addition to villages

-The enemies becomes painfully overpowered over time if your characters are not very powerful. In order to stand a chance you're going to need an extremely powerful character or a VERY well built team.

-The exp formula is very poor. If you're 3 levels higher than the defeated enemy, you'll gain almost no exp at all. Unfortunately, this counts for promoted enemies too. :(

-Your characters auto-promote at level 20, gaining some solid bonuses but are stuck with the same weapons

-There doesn't seem to be a level cap

-Stats cap at about 100. Attack power and other battle stats can go over 100, but they will not be displayed over 100/99.

Also, here are some random screenshots (Spoilers, but they're just boss battle screens anyway. I guess I should have taken better ones...)

warcraft1.pngwarcraft2.pngwarcraft8.pngwarcraft9.pngwarcraft10.pngwarcraft11.pngwarcraft12.pngwarcraft13.png

It's worth noting Leaf is the only one allowed in the battle against Cuan, so make sure you've raised him well.

Edited by Roshe

I did indeed notice a lot of those factors you mention (notably the shields, but forgot to post about it), but I was not able to bump this thread due to it being a double post.

I'm still playing through this game, but it's a legitimately good game that I enjoy, even if it's pretty quirky. I finally figured out who can equip certain weapons after spending countless turns trading weapons around.

Not sure if I missed it, but it seems neither of you commented on the Skills system. It might be obvious when you're playing though.

Unlike in the official games, I think all the Skills are command-based (and require points to use). There's at least one Skill that let you double attack and IIRC there's also one that lets you Triple attack. It's been a while since I last played, but I remember quite liking the Skills.

Edited by VincentASM

Not sure if I missed it, but it seems neither of you commented on the Skills system. It might be obvious when you're playing though.

Unlike in the official games, I think all the Skills are command-based (and require points to use). There's at least one Skill that let you double attack and IIRC there's also one that lets you Triple attack. It's been a while since I last played, but I quite liked the Skills.

Might be somewhat less obvious if you don't know Chinese, though.

Might be somewhat less obvious if you don't know Chinese, though.

:(

Thanks for the tip, Vincent. *goes to mess around with the menus some more.*

While we're at it, did anybody figure out the third menu icon? Even post game completion when I select it nothing happens.

Edit: Nevermind. Its just resume chapter.

Edited by Roshe