If I can inquire...

3-13 Archer is the Sniper that mans the upper left Ballista.

The craze started because someone (I forget who, so this really won't be that helpful for the TC's question) made a topic talking about how when he was playing 3-13 and reinforcements appeared near that area, 3-13 Archer went down the gap and attacked and tanked for about 3 turns (with NPC Bishop healing) before coming back up the cliff to shoot at the Laguz more.

Many people posted they had had similar experiences and a fad was born, because this Sniper tanked better than most of their team.

He's a friendly NPC who hops down in a pit with 3 beasties. Sometimes he crits one of them before dying, and on rare occasion, he ends up killing them all while sidestepping their attacks. More often than not though, he just dies.
What that guy says... he helps you defend the castle, at one point 3 laguz show up as reinforcements and he steps away from his ballista, jumps into a pit by himself and (depending on the RNG goddess), destroys them all and walks away without a scratch or courageously perishes in the name of the green line.

I'll also point out that these three enemy laguz show up kinda behind your front lines, so it's extremely troublesome if you're not expecting them.

But for me (hard mode), he just died in two attacks, not even wasting the turns of all three laguz. IIRC

also...

The 3-13 Archer is a popular NPC Archer in the 13th chapter of Part 3. He is first located on the map's upper left ballista. A ballista is a large device used for firing various projectiles. The earliest form of ballistae was developed from early Greek versions of crossbows, and were generally used to fire large darts or rounded stones. However, I am not here to discuss the ballista or its origins, just to tell you about the 3-13 Archer, so I will continue to write about the 3-13 Archer instead of the history of ballistae. Please excuse my wandering. Back to the point, the thing that makes the 3-13 Archer so unique is that, unlike most NPCs, he shows some semblance of AI. Around the eighth turn of Chapter 13 of Part 3, laguz appear, ready to kill the guards blocking the gap leading to the 3-13 Archer's ballista, which is now probably out of ammo. That was likely a run-on sentence, but I'm not going to bother to fix it. At this point, the 3-13 Archer leaves his ballista, jumps off of the ledge, and proceeds to kill, or attempt to kill, the laguz ready to maul the guards. He fights for his friends. Surprisingly enough, he manages to kill the 3 laguz, more often than not,before they kill him and he becomes an hero. This makes to 3-13 Acher, i mean Archer, or actually, I mean "I mean Archer"... um, where was I again? Oh, yes. This makes the 3-13 Archer a standout among NPCs, and is why I'm writing right now. Sorry for the confusion. However, on a more interesting note, the 3-13 Archer isn't really an archer, but a Sniper. That is to say, he is an archer, as in someone who fires a bow, but his official class title in the game is Sniper, as in someone who's really good with a bow, not someone standing in a window with a rifle trying to shoot the President. But it seems like of gone off topic yet again, and if it happens another time I give up with the writing. Anyways, most people's reasoning for the 3-13 Archer's title is either that "3-13 Sniper doesn't sound as good" or "I'm too much of a lazy ass to care". Thus, the 3-13 Sniper got his title as the 3-13 Archer, and continued to inspire me as I wrote this.
Edited by Reikken

He normally dies whenever I'm playing in that chapter. It really doesn't matter anyways, since Fiona and Meg are fulfilling their purpose in life as lifeless statues to prevent some blood-thirsty laguz from tearing apart Micaiah. Even then, he sometimes goes into the pit anyways and gets himself killed.

R.I.P.........

I know for the fact the 3-13 Archer is 'famous' on GameFAQs. There's been a series of topics of "Church of 3-13 Archer" and there's been about 14-15 of them, each of the previous filling up with the 500 post limit :x

I've never actually seen him kill the laguz myself. He always gets murdered terribly quickly.

I was under the impression Knife discovered the 3-13 Archer...

Also, 3-13 Archer for SSB4.

Pffft, I wish. I'm only a faithful follower in the Church of 3-13 Archer. This guy is seriously awesome, I realized how great he was before I ever heard of him on Gamefaqs.

The Bishops are more like support, but support characters are no good without someone to support.

Your playthrough has not been blessed.

Apparently not, since my DB was massively underleveled and the partner units were the only reason why I was beating the Part 3 DB chapters.

Edited by Edgard Varése

The 3-13 Archer has killed all the hawks (critical moment) and all the laguz in the pit- taking 0 damage. That was awesome. Anyway, the 3-13 Halberdier should be in SSB4 as well. If only they were playable chars... *Thinks of 3-13 Archer pwning Ashera* Someone's gotta hack him onto their file!

I added the 3-13 archer to a personal hack I am doing, he appears as an NPC in each chapter, and gradually levels with you (1-2 levels per chapter).

3-13Archer.png

^Final chapter

teehee! i dig it! very cute!

3-13 archer is a little overrated. I find it so stupid to have a sniper who can't even counter direct attacks jump into a pit of laguz where he can get raped on the enemy phase. People just praise him for his bravery and for killing the 3 laguz on his own but that's only if he gets lucky. I still think he's cool and he's one of the few NPCs that actually does something but at the same time I still can't believe that he actually jumps down there with no way of countering.