Capital Punishment

Judge Judy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also believe in second chances.

Some of these criminals are mentally disturbed from dysfunctional background. Instead of killing them, they should recieve medical help...

Its not an excuse to take someone'es life yes I do agree with that. But these people, if they were helped maybe we could learn something what makes people commit terrible crimes in the first place.

I also believe in second chances.

Some of these criminals are mentally disturbed from dysfunctional background. Instead of killing them, they should recieve medical help...

Its not an excuse to take someone'es life yes I do agree with that. But these people, if they were helped maybe we could learn something what makes people commit terrible crimes in the first place.

there are instances where i agree with this...its kind of a thorny issue but serial killers are exempt from the aformentioned quote...i dont think these guys are able to be helped...do you think that Ted Bundy could have been reformed?

there are instances where i agree with this...its kind of a thorny issue but serial killers are exempt from the aformentioned quote...i dont think these guys are able to be helped...do you think that Ted Bundy could have been reformed?

No idea. But I do believe its best to find out the way these people think. It won't hurt to try right?

These seriel killers some of them have messed up backgrounds and there are going to be other children who will suffer abuse etc.

If they could be a behaviour pattern found within these criminals it could prevent certain crimes from taking place.

But I do agree. I would never trust a serial killer or a rapist.

Yeah, for people who can be helped should be, but if this was allowed lawyers would just get them out of trouble by pronouncing them insane. ~see batman begins :D~

Yes for those who CAN be helped. But for those who were aware of what they were doing was wrong should be given capital punishment or life imprisonment.

Some criminals strange as this may sound, don't even realise what they are doing is wrong.

Seriel killers/seriel rapists commit crimes over and over again. In psychology, a theory was developed that it could be some form of addiction O_O

Some criminals such as Myra Hindely and Evan Brady enjoyed killing thier victims. o_o

Freaky...

No idea. But I do believe its best to find out the way these people think. It won't hurt to try right?

These seriel killers some of them have messed up backgrounds and there are going to be other children who will suffer abuse etc.

If they could be a behaviour pattern found within these criminals it could prevent certain crimes from taking place.

But I do agree. I would never trust a serial killer or a rapist.

this is true...there are many people dedicated to understanding the mind of serial killers and the like...so they are trying...if they find an answer, hooray! if not, we cant have these guys running around, ya know?

this is true...there are many people dedicated to understanding the mind of serial killers and the like...so they are trying...if they find an answer, hooray! if not, we cant have these guys running around, ya know?

I never said we shall free them =/

I MEANT that instead of killing them, they should be put into prison for life and find out what is causing them to act like that.

The only time I would say a criminal should be executed if they are a serious threat to the public.

Edited by Judge Judy

Anybody read Ultimate Punishment by, I think, Scott Turow? Nice read on this stuff.

Most Americans (as in a little more than half), as some people in here have said they do, want to keep the death penalty available as an option for really off-the-wall kind of terrible crimes, like large scale murder or rape. The problem with that is that people who don't deserve the death penalty but are eligible for it are inevitably going to be sentenced that way on subjective bases (basises? lol). For example people who kill whites are statistically more likely to be sentenced to death than people who murder others of any other race, regardless of the criminal's race themselves. Different states have many different standards for applying the death penalty, and some make it applicable to many different kinds of felony murder, which doesn't help. Having the death penalty available, at best, makes the legal system even more fucking complicated, and at worst holds it back to the point where individual states get screwed by tripping over their own feet trying to apply it well.

Side note: while this shouldn't be any great factor in how one views the DP with all the principals an' shit involved, it generally costs more to execute a criminal than to make him spend the rest of his "natural" life in jail. 8U

What i don't like about life in prison is that they can do WHATEVER they want to other prisoners without shit happening to them, solitary and shit like that has no use, they get used to it and that gives them the ability to hurt, if not kill other prisoners that are not in there for long and didn't do THAT bad of stuff.

Anybody read Ultimate Punishment by, I think, Scott Turow? Nice read on this stuff.

Most Americans (as in a little more than half), as some people in here have said they do, want to keep the death penalty available as an option for really off-the-wall kind of terrible crimes, like large scale murder or rape. The problem with that is that people who don't deserve the death penalty but are eligible for it are inevitably going to be sentenced that way on subjective bases (basises? lol). For example people who kill whites are statistically more likely to be sentenced to death than people who murder others of any other race, regardless of the criminal's race themselves. Different states have many different standards for applying the death penalty, and some make it applicable to many different kinds of felony murder, which doesn't help. Having the death penalty available, at best, makes the legal system even more fucking complicated, and at worst holds it back to the point where individual states get screwed by tripping over their own feet trying to apply it well.

Side note: while this shouldn't be any great factor in how one views the DP with all the principals an' shit involved, it generally costs more to execute a criminal than to make him spend the rest of his "natural" life in jail. 8U

Why i say we should go back to the old fashion lynching, if they hurt people why should they die painlessly?

What i don't like about life in prison is that they can do WHATEVER they want to other prisoners without shit happening to them, solitary and shit like that has no use, they get used to it and that gives them the ability to hurt, if not kill other prisoners that are not in there for long and didn't do THAT bad of stuff.

lol

Idk what they do in America but in the UK...

Very dangerous criminal offenders are locked away and no one is able to contact them, unless if it is a police officer etc.

What your talking about is criminals who have committed petty crimes...I should know =/

Plus I think being stuck in a prison cell for the rest of your life sounds more of a punishment...

Edited by Judge Judy

Lynching? Mob diplomacy hanging/whatevering a guy? LOL that would be terrible

It's sad when a sarcasm expert can't tell if somebody's being sarcastic

Lynching? Mob diplomacy hanging/whatevering a guy? LOL that would be terrible

It's sad when a sarcasm expert can't tell if somebody's being sarcastic

It was somewhat sarcastic, lynching is cruel but i don't see why people get the easy way out when they brutally murder people.

Why i say we should go back to the old fashion lynching, if they hurt people why should they die painlessly?

WUT! o_o

Are you trying to say you wanna kill criminal painfully?

What is the point of that? The REASON we execute criminals because to protect the public from harm.

Not because to get even with them. That means your just as bad as the criminal.

Plus I think being stuck in a prison cell for the rest of your life sounds more of a punishment...

No.

Punishment = Action to correct the subject and reform him/her into society

Revenge = that

This is why the DP is never a punishment.

It was somewhat sarcastic, lynching is cruel but i don't see why people get the easy way out when they brutally murder people.

Guy holds up a liquor store with 2 other friends, no intent to kill. Clerk gets in struggle with all of them. During struggle original guy ends up shooting clerk, killing instantly. Original guy has had hard life, in shitty situation, ends up repenting for the killing and admitting to it. Prosecution tries to sentence for life. Guy's lawyers are inexperienced public defender type guys who get paid $300 a case for $30,000 a year, and have nothing to fight for him with in evidence or motivation. Pissed off about his probable sentence, guy changes story and says he never murdered the guy, out of anger. Judge gets pissed and sentences him to death out of nowhere.

Is the ability to execute some terrible exceptions of human beings worth the life of that guy and others like him?

Edited by Mac