America has a new president

General Spoon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I sense a contradiction here? Or am I still really bad at detecting sarcasm?

I was being serious as a Comic View comedian.

On my part, it was some really bad sarcasm.

OK, they shouldn't call him like that, that's it, just another president, that can play basketball :o .

And enjoy fried chicken and watermelons.

Before I get attacked by that statement, my friend and I were talking about this and he made a really good point about people treating Obama like he is a god or something. If you think about it (which really, doesn't need thinking skills), he's the first BI-RACIAL president, not the first BLACK president. Yes, this is history, but this isn't the Second Coming of Christ he stated. he also stated that "The only reason why he got this rep of being the Anti-Christ, God, Devine Being,etc. is because people are treating him as such".

Edited by Snow_Storm

Before I get attacked by that statement, my friend and I were talking about this and he made a really good point about people treating Obama like he is a god or something. If you think about it (which really, doesn't need thinking skills), he's the first BI-RACIAL president, not the first BLACK president. Yes, this is history, but this isn't the Second Coming of Christ he stated. he also stated that "The only reason why he got this rep of being the Anti-Christ, God, Devine Being,etc. is because people are treating him as such".

Kind of bullshit to say bi-racial when for millions of others who are the same they are just "black", don't you think?

You are asking me in what way it matters to people? How the fuck should I know when it's their opinions? I am not Jesus, it's just an easy mistake to make.

Well when you state a point, you should have some clear idea to know what your going on about. This is the general forum.

I never said your Jesus. Nor did I say you should know every single public opinion on the matter.

All I asked for a clear idea to back up your point.

No point posting something, when you do not have any factual or subjective information to back up your claim.

Well lets get back to this point. You said it matters to person to person?

I highly doubt this. I am pretty sure there must be pleanty of people out there who think its important to know where Obama comes from.

Otherwise it would have not been much of an issue then, because it would not be in the general public interest. =/

Like I said before, I am not asking for a complete set of facts at all. I wanted to know why (thus being subjective asking for a view) some may say its important to know where he comes from.

not that I am expecting you to tell me now

I just think its kinda useless to know where someone comes from and to know details about their past life, as long as it does not affect them in the current state that they are in. In Obama's case, knowing anything about his past life won't change much of anything.

I would say it comes down to Nationalism where people would say its important to know where someone comes from.

Well lets get back to this point. You said it matters to person to person?

I highly doubt this. I am pretty sure there must be pleanty of people out there who think its important to know where Obama comes from.

Otherwise it would have not been much of an issue then, because it would not be in the general public interest. =/

Like I said before, I am not asking for a complete set of facts at all. I wanted to know why (thus being subjective asking for a view) some may say its important to know where he comes from.

not that I am expecting you to tell me now

I just think its kinda useless to know where someone comes from and to know details about their past life, as long as it does not affect them in the current state that they are in. In Obama's case, knowing anything about his past life won't change much of anything.

I would say it comes down to Nationalism where people would say its important to know where someone comes from.

You have got to be kidding. Just because something matters to one person doesn't mean it matters to everyone, if you want evidence of that then just use me, I don't give a fuck if he's black, white, yellow, brown, blue, or green. Other people do care.

I don't understand how a human being functions while not understanding that opinions are personal.

You have got to be kidding. Just because something matters to one person doesn't mean it matters to everyone, if you want evidence of that then just use me, I don't give a fuck if he's black, white, yellow, brown, blue, or green. Other people do care.

I don't understand how a human being functions while not understanding that opinions are personal.

NVM....I am confused :s

He was making a point o insinuate that the subject of "what matters" varies from person to person, and is thus an opinion in nature, as opposed to your claim that all have the same view of "what matters" as if it is fact, or at least I think.

IMO, Obamarama is heavily euphorised; there is no need to have such a craze on one particular president based on his skin color, he would rather be judged based upon his actions in office (and, two days in, not quite doing well so far). Jesus fuck, one would think this generation would be one to discard racial prejudice.

Most of you completely miss the point, which isn't really surprising.

The reason why Obama being black matters to so many people is because, while the United States legally claims equality for all, Obama being elected "proves" we're willing to back that up...at least, in the minds of some people. It represents to them a willingness to look beyond skin color.

To the self-appointed intellectuals screaming "he's bi-racial," basic sociological/anthropological spoiler: you socially "inherit" the "lesser race" in most cultures where visibly different ethnicities mix. That's simply the way things have worked over history. It's been visible with Obama, even: see the charming McCain support group who handed out "Obama Bucks" food stamps with fried chicken and watermelon emblazoned on them.

The reason why Obama being black matters to so many people is because, while the United States legally claims equality for all, Obama being elected "proves" we're willing to back that up...at least, in the minds of some people. It represents to them a willingness to look beyond skin color.

Some would also realize the inherent irony in that statement. While what you say is true and I can agree, the fact they obsess over his skin color while claiming to look past it is a point many can not glimpse over.

And again with someone restating something without reading the topic.

/facepalm

Considering how borderline-incoherent many of the posters on this board are, I feel obligated to phrase things in a way that allows for simple reading.

Some would also realize the inherent irony in that statement. While what you say is true and I can agree, the fact they obsess over his skin color while claiming to look past it is a point many can not glimpse over.

They don't claim to look past the point. They want confirmation the country and the country's systems at large do.

Edited by Der Kommissar

They don't claim to look past the point. They want confirmation the country and the country's systems at large do.

Sorry, serious pronoun deformation; I used they as a reference to your generalizing of people. Either way, it can be said as some sort of hypocrisy.

Well Obama is going to sort out the health care in America. I wonder if he manages to pull it off.

Though America health care system is rubbish compared to the EU where they have the NHS, that is controlled by the government.

Edited by Judge Judy