America has a new president

General Spoon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Obama screwed up his speech.

lolno

Just to clarify, Obama jumped the gun on Roberts, but Roberts misplaced the word "faithfully", messing up the oath. Obama chose to repeat it as Roberts spoke it, rather than the correct way. The oath is just a formality anyways, regardless of whether he took it or not he was president at 12:00 on the 20th (which actually happened before he took the oath). Roberts went over to the White House and they redid the oath today anyways, so it's irrelevant now.

Unlike many of the people here, I actually went down to DC and stood outside from 3:00 AM to hear him speak in person (albeit about a mile away from the Capitol on a giant Jumbotron, but I could still see the Capitol over the millions of heads so it still counted :P). Lord knows the irony though, that out of millions of people, this Harvard boy would end getting stuck next to a bunch of Yalies.

As for the poem, it's a well known fact that almost all poets are horrible at reading their own work. ;)

And it's Aretha Franklin. God help you if you seriously don't know who that is.

Sure it was a historic event. But I don't see Obama as the first black President. I just see him as our 44th president. And treat him as such. (Which would be utter indifference.)

Ignoring the fact that Obama is the first black president is even more ignorant than the people who go gaga over that fact. There is still something to be said for it when you consider context (which, outside of your pseudo-intellectual fairy-fucking-fantasy land, actually matters).

Anyways, I look forward to Obama's presidency with great anticipation.

Edited by Black Knight

The person reading it to him screwed up. LOLSUNINFORMEDPOSTERS

As for him smoking, millions of Americans do, it's nothing special. Just shows how desperate some people are to find something to bitch about.

As I recall, you stated the same thing on the first page. ;) I don't see how it's funny either, as nobody watches/reads the news everyday. I haven't picked up a newspaper in years.

And if people are seriously trying to find ways to ruin another person, they really need to rethink their character.

I didn't get to see it because my English teacher is mean like that, but it's a great historical moment.
The fact that people are all up in arms over this being "special" or a "great historical moment" says a lot about them as people.

I am amused.

The fact that people are all up in arms over this being "special" or a "great historical moment" says a lot about them as people.

I am amused.

And why shouldn't they be? It's a peaceful transfer from one to another of some of the greatest power in the world. That's pretty amazing if you ask me considering where humans once were.

I am amused.

Same here. So a black man got in the highest office. So what? Stop making a huge deal out of race. That whole civil rights era has been dead for 45 years. Us blacks got to get over it, you know. Nothing special. At all.

I can gather people who says this isn't a historical event in three obvious groups

1. Racism

2. Butthurt McCain supports.

3.Ignorant ass people who won't acknowledge the fact this is history in the making.

Edited by Snow_Storm

I am amused.

Well it is a great historical moment. What is wrong with that? America is setting a good example. Obama is the first Black President. It is a historical moment because it is not very easy to achieve what Obama has done. It is one step closer for more equality within America.

It is the same for other countries too in case you have not noticed. :rolleyes:

In Britain, the first female Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher is seen an as historical moment. In Pakistan, the first female Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto is seen as a great historical moment.

For simple-minded people out there, when someone achieves something that is very difficult and the odds were against them, it is quite likely they will be remembered for it.

Edited by Judge Judy

Same here. So a black man got in the highest office. So what? Stop making a huge deal out of race. That whole civil rights era has been dead for 45 years. Us blacks got to get over it, you know. Nothing special. At all.

I can gather people who says this isn't a historical event in three obvious groups

1. Racism

2. Butthurt McCain supports.

3.Ignorant ass people who won't acknowledge the fact this is history in the making.

Do I sense a contradiction here? Or am I still really bad at detecting sarcasm?

But anyways, I kind of digress. I kind of want to yell at the butthurt McCain supporters that think Obama's going to ruin the country. I mean, hell, McCain himself lost the election in the most graceful manner I can imagine for a politician (I basically earned all my respect for John McCain simply on the basis of how he lost), so Obama can't be that bad, right?

In Pakistan, the first female President Benazir Bhutto is seen as a great historical moment.

I thought Benazir Bhutto was the first female Prime Minister of Pakistan? And even then, that sort of ended pretty badly as she was thrown out for embezzlement or something along those lines...

Edited by Edgard Varése

I thought Benazir Bhutto was the first female Prime Minister of Pakistan? And even then, that sort of ended pretty badly as she was thrown out for embezzlement or something along those lines...

Thank you for correcting me. She was a Prime Minister.

Yes, things did not end well for her. It just goes to show, having high expectations for a political leader is not always a good approach.

Edited by Judge Judy

Since So Many People Have Hopelessly No Idea What The Color Rhymes Meant

If you're white you're all right (changed to you will be right in the speech)

If you're yellow stay mellow

If you're brown stick around

If you're black get back!!!

It's an old saying against dark-skinned people from the pre-Civil Rights era. Any black person who's been around that long can tell you about that.

Yes, USA has a new president, Barrack Obama, I hate when people start going like "the first black president in USA", that's so racist.

Well...technically he is the first Black President.

Can you clarify further to prove your point?

The reason people, or at least some people, are saying that is because the United States used to be a very discriminatory country. A black man who was not born into wealth being the president is only important because it clearly shows that we have come a long way from that, and that it's time for some people to shut the fuck up and stop blaming the government and white people for their problems.

Ah, yes, they say or he said that he is decendent from slaves.

Last I checked, Kenya wasn't a slave state of the U.S. In fact, last I checked Kenya wasn't part of the United States at all.

Explain, please.

Last I checked, Kenya wasn't a slave state of the U.S. In fact, last I checked Kenya wasn't part of the United States at all.

Explain, please.

His father was from Kenya. His mother was from Kansas. He was born in Hawaii. Considering where his mother is from, he could more than easily be a descendant of slaves.

EDIT: Nevermind. I had no idea his mom was white. o_O Now I have to second Edgard.

Edited by Lakche

That would be a misquote on Soul1112's part. People haven't said anything about Obama being a descendant of slaves as far as I know. Rather, people have claimed that Obama isn't a "true" black man because he isn't descended from slaves among other things.