Lol Blagojevich

General Spoon

He definitely could have handled the situation MUCH better. If you're accused of something, getting mad and evasive is the last thing you should do. Especially if you're innocent.

He definitely could have handled the situation MUCH better. If you're accused of something, getting mad and evasive is the last thing you should do. Especially if you're innocent.

And especially if it's something like this, since it only makes people point more fingers at you than needed.

I hope nobody thought he was going to stay.

I certainly didn't expect him to stay after he became a whiny little bitch about it.

Nah, even before that. The whole "tapes of him making the deals" and "convicted by the media/general public" thing.

I actually didn't hear about the tapes until I heard about him being whiny about the procedures. Once I heard he was being whiny about the whole thing, I had lost hope. I was at least hoping he would take the Nixon approach to impeachment, though. (I.E., getting the hell out of there before the proceedings occur and then turning all reliable resources in so you can at least keep some of your dignity (We all know Nixon resigned, but at least he's not known as the first president to be kicked out of office. Blagojevich will wish he could say something similar about himself in a few years.))

Edited by Edgard Varése

An impeachment is a trial. A government official must be accused of legal misconduct in order to be impeached, and must be convicted of said legal misconduct in order to be removed from office. An impeachment is separate from an indictment - though both involve legal charges, an impeachment can only result in removal from office while an indictment can result in actual legal consequences.

Clinton was not impeached because he cheated on Hillary, nor was Johnson impeached solely because the Senate was fed up with him. Clinton's impeachment charges had to do with his alleged perjury in a separate sexual harassment case and Johnson's impeachment charges had to do with him violating an act that the Senate had passed in order to get him impeached (because they knew he would probably violate that act).

This is true. The Senate, under Andrew Johnson, passed an act called the Tenure of Office Act, which required any government-level removal of members to be approved by them. Johnson, being Johnson, naturally fires Stanton, his Secretary of War at the time, for disagreeing with him on too many levels. And of course the Senate uses this as they had planned to impeach him. But as most of us know, he was saved by a vote.

This is true. The Senate, under Andrew Johnson, passed an act called the Tenure of Office Act, which required any government-level removal of members to be approved by them. Johnson, being Johnson, naturally fires Stanton, his Secretary of War at the time, for disagreeing with him on too many levels. And of course the Senate uses this as they had planned to impeach him. But as most of us know, he was saved by a vote.

The law by which Johnson got impeached was eventually declared unconstitutional in the Roaring 20's, though, and the Senate overrode Johnson's veto on that law. Also, the guy that would've replaced him was in the party that controlled Congress at the time. So through that, you could deduce that it was in fact political anger that led to Johnson's veto.

I've had three posts deleted on this website, and no mod has ever posted to tell me they deleted my post.

Do I detect post inflation, Ms. Board's-top-poster?

After seeing this irrelevant and off-topic post, I'm beginning to detect the same thing from you Mr. Boner-killer.

Edited by Musashi

The law by which Johnson got impeached was eventually declared unconstitutional in the Roaring 20's, though, and the Senate overrode Johnson's veto on that law. Also, the guy that would've replaced him was in the party that controlled Congress at the time. So through that, you could deduce that it was in fact political anger that led to Johnson's veto.

I agree; of course it was political anger. The entire premise of their choices were that Johnson was not seeing eye to eye with them.

I agree; of course it was political anger. The entire premise of their choices were that Johnson was not seeing eye to eye with them.

Sarcasm much?

And I never said all that with certainty; I'm saying that you could arrive at that conclusion. (Could being the key word.)

Just another sad man in the word of politics, honestly, I don't see how anybody could want to get into politics especially when things are like this.

EDIT:I just hit 400 posts (yay for me)

Edited by canas is back

Just another sad man in the word of politics, honestly, I don't see how anybody could want to get into politics especially when things are like this.

EDIT:I just hit 400 posts (yay for me)

When politics get bad is the PERFECT time to pay attention to it. They fuck up, we suffer.

Unless you meant like becoming a senator or something...That point it's all on motive, which everyone would HOPE is good, but not everyone's a saint on the inside.

Sarcasm much?

And I never said all that with certainty; I'm saying that you could arrive at that conclusion. (Could being the key word.)

I'm not being sarcastic, I was being serious; that is the reason that he was impeached; it was their attempt to oust him from his seat of power for a variety of reasons.