Sonic the Hedgehog

Duff Ostrich

We all know what the current gaming community thinks of Sonic the Hedgehog. We all know what the Sonic fanbase thinks of Sonic the Hedgehog, and we all have our own personal opinions on Sonic the Hedgehog, ranging from apathy to boundless optimism to (in the case of the fanbase) devastating disappointment.

What I'm not here to do is to talk about the sad state of affairs for him, because it's not necessary. It's already been done far too many times by pseudo intellectuals talking about the waning relevance of one of their favorite childhood mascots.

Well, this pseudo intellectual has something different to say!

I was a Nintendo fanboy growing up, and I still am. But many of my friends were Sega fanboys (and about one still is...) and I got to play lots of Sonic. And I loved it. I even eventually got my own Genesis during the Christmas of 1995. Though perhaps by then Sega would have been more appreciative had I bought the Saturn, but whatever.

Now I didn't own Sonic 2 or S3&K until a couple of years ago, despite having a Genesis this whole time. What eventually convinced me into trying to relive my childhood by tracking down these games (for which questionable care was taken of) was the aforementioned internet buzz about Sonic.

To be more specific, people were beginning to rebuke his legacy. Sure, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06 were kinda really bad, and the Advance and DS games are just kinda charming takes on the past games, but I was more concerned about how the games of the past were treated. I always thought that SA2 (Sonic Adventure 2) was kinda 'meh' and the general consensus seems to be leaning towards that nowadays. People are now saying that SA1 was a glitch fest with the same debilitating gameplay flaws that the newer 3D games have. Even now, while I understand the frustration that people had with cameras in early 3D games, I argue that SA1 was a much faster game than anything released afterwards. Sure, some of the gameplay segments like Big the Cat and treasure hunting with Knuckles are stupid, the Sonic portion is genuine, fast paced fun. We expect more from 3D platformers nowadays perhaps, but it's still good.

But not even that's what really concerns me. I might like Sonic Adventure 1, but I can also recognize its flaws. What truly bothers me is with how people are beginning to question the quality of Sonic 1, 2, and S3&K. The supposed trinity (even if its technically four games) that made Sonic who he is may not even be good to begin with? Sure, we liked it then, but games are better now! Surely two dimensional platformers have progressed to the point that Sonic's gameplay is no longer novel or interesting. All Sonic really was to begin with was a 'hold right and win' fest. Games are more sophisticated now!

Or not. I wasn't going to let these accusations (many from respected gaming journalists and veteren gamers alike) slide without figuring it out for myself. Sure, I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but certainly I can spare a few dollars for games that I had the system for all these years anyway... And what did I find? That old Sonic wasn't good at all.

I found out that old Sonic was, and still is, amazing.

Sonic the Hedgehog, and all of his core games on the Genesis, are top notch and just as fun as they were back in the early '90s. The people who try to crush our childhood nostalgia by saying it was never any good are, at least in this case, complete failures. Sonic has survived nearly ten years of mediocrity because Sonic had four unbelievably good games. Sure, the Gamegear titles are all either bad or very bad (I should know, I had a Gamegear... how faithful was I to Nintendo again?...), and sure, the 3D Dreamcast adventures lack some of the punch of earlier titles, even if I am a bit of an apologist for SA1. And yeah, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, Sonic Spinball, and Sonic Labyrinth are all terrible games. But you know what? It doesn't matter. That is because those four titles previously mentioned are just that good.

I'll take it from the top. Sonic 1 is a very impressive Genesis game on a technical level, and while none of its gameplay elements were particularly innovative, (aside from just how fast Sonic was, and his somewhat primitive spin dash) it was fast, fun, and gorgeous. The music was great too.

Sonic 2 has the best level design in the series, period. Adding a player two makes Sonic a very social game when you've got a friend to play it with. The bosses are slightly better, and Sonic's spindash is pretty awesome, and the level design really takes advantage of it.

And now for Sonic 3 and Knuckles. These two games are the best in the series, but only when connected to each other. Otherwise they take a back seat to Sonic 2. And you know what? The connection feature (if you dont know what I'm talking about, look it up on Wikipedia) that brought these two games together is proof positive that Sonic is still novel and fresh. You tell me what other game is doing that today? That's right, none. The level design was still great (though stronger on the Sonic 3 half) and the number of playable modes, along with two player mode, boosts the replay value to a level that would make a Super Sayan upset. The debug feature that can be accessed through codes can lead to many hours of fun as well. And As far as platformers go, the story is actually kinda interesting in an old school way.

So yeah, that's Sonic the Hedgehog. If you still have access to these games, play them. And if you do not, get access. A decade of terrible games cannot make a good game bad, and while many other people rely on fuzzy memories of their past to judge the old Sonic games, I am giving you a nostalgia free guarantee that back when people wore blue jean jackets and Nirvanna was on everyone's cassette tapes, Sonic the Hedgehog was already a classic.

If I had the rhetorical ability to give a more ringing endorsement than this I most certainly would.

With opinions regards to Sonic series, I prefer the old sonic games over the new/recent ones.

You're not alone, man.

Sonic 1&2 are masterpieces. 3, not so much but it still is very good.

With opinions regards to Sonic series, I prefer the old sonic games over the new/recent ones.
You're not alone, man.

Sonic 1&2 are masterpieces. 3, not so much but it still is very good.

I wish Sonic goes back to their old style of gameplay. The only reason why the new ones suck is because they're trying to compete with the Mario franchise.

All of these comments, in their integrality, are QFT.

I too would like to see the Sonic games going back to their former gameplay style, but the problem is : it basically only works on 2D-style, and unfortunately, the bulk of console developpers (and a good part of the public as well) consider 2D as totally outdated. No wonder when this generation of video game players are for the majority graphic-whores. :/

Well, Snic Adventure 1 was actually pretty good.

SHAME that the Dreamcast was that short-lived, it is one of the best consoles ever, IMO.

I wish Sonic goes back to their old style of gameplay. The only reason why the new ones suck is because they're trying to compete with the Mario franchise.

That's what Sonic's purpose has been all along.

The difference is that old Sonic knew where to improve on the Mario formula.

I want to give a special mention to the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog as it introduced me to Sonic and fits the Looney Tunes-esque atmosphere of old Sonic more than all the other Sonic shows.

I too would like to see the Sonic games going back to their former gameplay style, but the problem is : it basically only works on 2D-style, and unfortunately, the bulk of console developpers (and a good part of the public as well) consider 2D as totally outdated. No wonder when this generation of video game players are for the majority graphic-whores. :/

Considering that 2D Mario still sells better than 3D Mario, more than half of the DS's and console download services' libraries are 2D games there might be still some place for 2D Sonic.

Edited by Ike-Mike

All the Sonic Adventure games' tones have been done in silly ways to ill effect.

I read a plot summation of Sonic '06 once. It was some run-on, multi-paragraph essay nonsense. It was hilarious.

Edited by Mac

That's what Sonic's purpose has been all along.

The difference is that old Sonic knew where to improve on the Mario formula.

Except the recent and the latest Sonic games have received crappy ratings amongst gaming sites. Mainly due to camera control and such...

I played those classic Sonic games so many times in my childhood. Too bad my Genesis broke years ago...

The connection feature (if you dont know what I'm talking about, look it up on Wikipedia) that brought these two games together is proof positive that Sonic is still novel and fresh.

It's said that Sonic 3 & Knuckles was supposed to be only one large game, but there were time constraints and they were forced to release Sonic 3 first, and Sonic & Knuckles later.

That connection feature was the most genial workaround I've ever seen.

Edited by TheEnd

i love the first two Sonic games but i never really had a Genesis when i was younger..i got one only a few years ago...i never really played the newer Sonics save some of the ones on that Sonic Collectors disk on the PS2...

inb4soniccycle

Excelent: Choose your poison

Anyway, that aside I found a pretty interesting article about the level design of Sonic games. The diagram alone is the best part.

Here it is

You might find it amusing but it so close to the truth it is incredable.

TheSonicCycleCycle.png

Seriously, the Sonic Cycle only really applied to Sonic 06. <_<.

Edited by Shiva