Sain Or Lowen

Mr.Shiu and Watch

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Normal Mode (which I usually play) I like Sain better. Lowen has always been useless for me there since I already have better tanks than him (Hector, Oswin and Marcus) and Sain is durable enough to survive on his own. And his offence is win.

HM is another story. Lowen ftw, I guess.

When I play this game I use every Paladin. Marcus, Lowen, Sain, Kent and Isadora.

To decide who's better, I'm going to assume Lyn's mode because all it does it make Lyn's mode people better. For that reason, and because Sain's hardly ever dying anyway, I vote for Sain because of his offense.

Offense > Defense in a game where people dont die much. And Lowen's never strong and never fast. Sain's a bit faster and a lot stronger.

They both have supports so that's a non issue. Lowen's affinity is better, but Sain has an impressive enough list that he should be getting supports regardless.

Offense > Defense in a game where people dont die much. And Lowen's never strong and never fast. Sain's a bit faster and a lot stronger.

They both have supports so that's a non issue. Lowen's affinity is better, but Sain has an impressive enough list that he should be getting supports regardless.

Sain's not much faster until after promotion. Around level 19 unpromoted Sain averages 1 more speed than Lowen, which actually doesn't make much of a difference, I don't think. Dying is a very real issue on HHM but it's not likely to happen anywhere else, so I agree Sain is more useful than Lowen on non-HHM modes.

In ranked runs I find Lowen's support options pretty undoable... I haven't gotten LowenxEliwood C yet by chapter 28 and I don't think I'm ever going to. Of his faster options, two come late in the game and Marcus gets ditched past a certain point. Sain at least has a fast Kent support, even if all of his other supports are damn slow.

Sain's not much faster until after promotion. Around level 19 unpromoted Sain averages 1 more speed than Lowen, which actually doesn't make much of a difference, I don't think. Dying is a very real issue on HHM but it's not likely to happen anywhere else, so I agree Sain is more useful than Lowen on non-HHM modes.

In ranked runs I find Lowen's support options pretty undoable... I haven't gotten LowenxEliwood C yet by chapter 28 and I don't think I'm ever going to. Of his faster options, two come late in the game and Marcus gets ditched past a certain point. Sain at least has a fast Kent support, even if all of his other supports are damn slow.

Even after promotion he doesn't lead by much in speed, but the strength lead is the important part.

I was speaking of HHM, but I really dont see how dying is an issue even there after people start promoting. Or rather, I dont see how its an issue for Sain and Lowen. Sain's defensive stats seem pretty rock solid for the most part, but I could be wrong. I unfortunately do not have the FE7 rom (yet) so I do not have access to enemy stats with which to test how durable he actually is.

As far as the viability of people's supports on ranked runs... you'd know better than me because you're actually doing a ranked run.

Lowen has more DEF, and Sain just dodges a little bit more than him.So, Lowen can take more damage, and has more durability.

But, Sain has more ATK, killing the enemy faster.

Conclusion:use both.

To be quite honest, I prefer Kent to both Sain and Lowen for a reason I can't really put my finger on.

But if I had to pick between Sain and Lowen, I'd say Sain for better join time and attack capabilities. I still prefer Kent, though.

Even after promotion he doesn't lead by much in speed, but the strength lead is the important part.

I was speaking of HHM, but I really dont see how dying is an issue even there after people start promoting. Or rather, I dont see how its an issue for Sain and Lowen. Sain's defensive stats seem pretty rock solid for the most part, but I could be wrong. I unfortunately do not have the FE7 rom (yet) so I do not have access to enemy stats with which to test how durable he actually is.

Strength lead is true. Dying is an issue in pretty much every chapter before FFO - Lowen's 4 HP and 2 def lead over Sain even at level 10 turns 3RKOs into 4RKOs, something desirable in chapters with high enemy density (18, 22) or chapters that require rushing (19, 20). I tried not using Lowen on ch18 and it was a total disaster =/

Lowen has more DEF, and Sain just dodges a little bit more than him.So, Lowen can take more damage, and has more durability.

But, Sain has more ATK, killing the enemy faster.

Conclusion:use both.

Actually, Lowen has a higher dodge rate on average. :/

Lowen can get more avoid from supports, but the lead is negligible and it's unlikely to happen in a ranked run anyway. Sain will generally have better avoid because of a higher Speed stat, good enough luck, and a more reliable support (even if it only gives +7 avoid at A)

Lowen can get more avoid from supports, but the lead is negligible and it's unlikely to happen in a ranked run anyway. Sain will generally have better avoid because of a higher Speed stat, good enough luck, and a more reliable support (even if it only gives +7 avoid at A)

Can't say that you're right.

Sain has 1 speed on Lowen at 20 unpromoted, and Lowen has 2 Luck on him. They're about the same. Lowen can easily grab a Marcus, Eliwood, or even Harken support. His supports aren't unreliable.

Edited by Lester

+10 avo with just a B Eliwood beats that already... Can't get much more reliable than that, either.

Anyway, No. Comparing them at lv 18, for example Sain averages 1.0 (!) more spd than Lowen, and Lowen averages 1.1 more luck. 0.9 more avoid for Sain. Except it's a 1.1 lead in Lowen's favor when using something like a Javelin or Steel sword because Lowen has more con.

So again, No. Sain does not generally have better avoid.

Edited by Reikken

Wut? Shouldn't that be His offense > Lowen's Defense.

Yeah just sayin. Thing is offense and defense are pretty much even, even in this game, and it's pretty much true for these guys too. Lowen's AS sucks and Wind affinity is bad for Sain.

Sain's offense>Lowen's offense

Lowen's defense>Sain's offense

but Sain's defense>Lowen's offense

Edited by Clonez

Can't say that you're right.

Sain has 1 speed on Lowen at 20 unpromoted, and Lowen has 2 Luck on him. They're about the same. Lowen can easily grab a Marcus, Eliwood, or even Harken support. His supports aren't unreliable.

12.4 speed for Lowen, 13.6 speed for Sain. That's a very possible +2 speed lead for Sain.

And then 12 Luck for Lowen and 10.65 Luck for Sain. You can't just round everything down. >_>

Lowen might get a Marcus support, but Eliwood is tougher because of a 2 movement difference and it being fairly slow when you need to look at Tactics. Then there's the fact that Eliwood might go with Hector just for the sheer speed of it and the possibility of not promoting until Night of Farewells/Cog of Destiny. Harken comes late when it doesn't matter as much and is unlikely to build up.

Sain at least has a fairly reliable and fast support with Kent. It's more offensive than defensive, but they have the same movement and likely similar promotion times.

And I typed this all up without looking at Reikken's post. Fair enough, Reikken.