College Exams

Cynthia

I can't believe it's already time for me to take my placement exams. I would say I'm nervous, but I'm more so hoping they'll let me tour the school while I'm there, considering I have to spend six hours there tomorrow through registration and placement testing.

It's really going to run me down that's for sure. I only hope the batteries in my PSP will last long enough for the trip there and back, as it's an hour and a half drive to the city, and another one back. (I'm currently trying level up everyone on DisGaea, as I attempt to 100% complete it. I want to have it done in time for DisGaea 2 for the PSP)

Going to college is possibly going to be the best thing that's ever happened to me, however money wise I'll be fairly tight. Me and Kayla are already aware of the sacrifices we'll have to make, but I'm just glad we'll both be able to eat. Expensive eating is out of the question, but at least it'll be tolerable I hope... (Anyone got tips on how to live on a tight budget?)

I highly recommend college, trust me the extra years in school will help you have a more secure working field in the future. Any of you all plan on going?

Well I plan on taking my SATs while I'm in college, due to the fact I haven't had a math class in two years because I got them done early. So my plan is to wait until I get through a semester of math in college to refresh.

Well I plan on taking my SATs while I'm in college, due to the fact I haven't had a math class in two years because I got them done early. So my plan is to wait until I get through a semester of math in college to refresh.

I'm not sure if that works...

Are the times you might get a return bus restrictive, do you think the school might frown on your exploring after your requirements are done, or are there other factors which might prevent you from touring the school?

I'm not sure that I can offer much in the way of novel financial advice. Your situation will obviously be influenced by factors such as whether or not you elect to pursue employment, if you intend to live on or off of campus (if such a choice is available to you), and how flexible a meal plan you might have available. I saved and sorted through all of my receipts after my first month at college to determine where my money was going; the elimination of small or unnecessary expenditures has proven noticeably beneficial. I abstain from public transportation if my destination is anywhere within a fifteen or twenty minutes' walk, and I order most new books through my father because he lives in a state without a sales tax. I also used to buy a bottle of apple juice nearly every day, but I don't do that anymore.

In regard to eating, I've scoped out a more than satisfactorily inexpensive sushi restaurant where I sometimes dine with my friends. It's a relief to have discovered beforehand a couple of cheap but reasonable restaurants when an occasion to eat out arises. Many food places post a menu outside or allow people to take home paper copies; I don't know if you will be in an urban setting, but you could spend a few hours over the course of a week looking at what's available in your area. I believe I recall you having mentioned that you don't drink alcohol. I've found this attitude more than helpful in maintaining a stable budget although I've no idea know how your campus will compare to mine in regard to drinking. I most everything I've said is all blatantly obvious, but it's most probably to your advantage to make any feasible compromises you can to reduce daily or weekly expenses....

Are the times you might get a return bus restrictive, do you think the school might frown on your exploring after your requirements are done, or are there other factors which might prevent you from touring the school?

I'm not sure that I can offer much in the way of novel financial advice. Your situation will obviously be influenced by factors such as whether or not you elect to pursue employment, if you intend to live on or off of campus (if such a choice is available to you), and how flexible a meal plan you might have available. I saved and sorted through all of my receipts after my first month at college to determine where my money was going; the elimination of small or unnecessary expenditures has proven noticeably beneficial. I abstain from public transportation if my destination is anywhere within a fifteen or twenty minutes' walk, and I order most new books through my father because he lives in a state without a sales tax. I also used to buy a bottle of apple juice nearly every day, but I don't do that anymore.

In regard to eating, I've scoped out a more than satisfactorily inexpensive sushi restaurant where I sometimes dine with my friends. It's a relief to have discovered beforehand a couple of cheap but reasonable restaurants when an occasion to eat out arises. Many food places post a menu outside or allow people to take home paper copies; I don't know if you will be in an urban setting, but you could spend a few hours over the course of a week looking at what's available in your area. I believe I recall you having mentioned that you don't drink alcohol. I've found this attitude more than helpful in maintaining a stable budget although I've no idea know how your campus will compare to mine in regard to drinking. I most everything I've said is all blatantly obvious, but it's most probably to your advantage to make any feasible compromises you can to reduce daily or weekly expenses....

Well the living plan I'm going for is going to be off campus, and at least 20% cheaper, which I'll need to live with Kayla. Dependent on my schedule, (Which I'll hopefully know by the end of today) I can see where and what kind of employment I can seek. Luckily Kayla says she wants to help out, so she may be getting a job as well while she finishes her school things.

It all depends on how much more I know by the end of today.

As for alcohol, well truth be told, I have no intentions towards it, or allowing it in my apartment. Kayla knows I'd call her mother and have her take her home if I ever caught her smoking or drinking. I'm not risking either of our healths, and a medical bill is something that can't fit into the budget. I hope to set aside a small amount of money for emergencies though, especially when living in the city.

I'm not much a party person, or social for that matter. I plan on taking my classes, working, and going home to my girlfriend whom will probably be excited to see me. No side trips.

Well I got to get going, hope my PSP lasts for the car trips. See you all tonight.

What state do you live in where you have to take placement exams? Or is that because you're already admitted? I guess I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse that you haven't had to take math for two years, either.

Apply for scholarships while you can. scholarships=people giving away money=you paying for college. I don't know how much you've looked into it, but there's a surprising amount of people willing to give money to just about anyone who graduates high school.

Good luck. I've been admitted to some colleges, but I'm waiting on decisions from even more.

Augh. I'm currently looking for scholarships. All over. It's like college apps all over again.

I dunno where I've gotten accepted yet though, the schools I applied to all take forever to send notification.

You can get a Pell Grant if where you'd live isn't raking in cash. Other than that you're probably stuck looking for essay-related ones. Wouldn't really know... In FL we pretty much get handed scholarships upon graduating highschool.

Augh. I'm currently looking for scholarships. All over. It's like college apps all over again.

I dunno where I've gotten accepted yet though, the schools I applied to all take forever to send notification.

If you're not rich and aren't going to do a FAFSA, you should change that.

Have fun getting drunk and stoned......
As for alcohol, well truth be told, I have no intentions towards it, or allowing it in my apartment. Kayla knows I'd call her mother and have her take her home if I ever caught her smoking or drinking. I'm not risking either of our healths, and a medical bill is something that can't fit into the budget.

I would NEVER pick up a cigarette, a cigar, a joint, a beer, a scotch, anything really. I value my health, and I know that people I love care about it to, and I don't even joke about that kind of thing. 10,000 people in America die every day of cigarettes alone, and I'm not going to be one of them.

lol college

College doesn't exist in Australia. Instead, you finish high school, do a course in uni(versity), and go out into the world to work. I honestly don't understand the whole college thing in America, and the way people go interstate for it, and whatever else... but they're completely different countries.

I'm not sure if that works...

It does in this state.

I still don't understand how this makes sense. The only reason to take the SAT is during the admissions process. The SAT just provides colleges with a universal set of test scores which they can use to compare students from across the nation when deciding who to admit or not (although in most cases the SAT just acts as a first hurdle, making sure you at least fall in the realm of qualification; it's the rest of your materials that get you in).

Taking the SAT once you get into college just doesn't make sense. If you do poorly, are they going to retroactively revoke your admission and take you out of school?

lol college

College doesn't exist in Australia. Instead, you finish high school, do a course in uni(versity), and go out into the world to work. I honestly don't understand the whole college thing in America, and the way people go interstate for it, and whatever else... but they're completely different countries.

The American system is unique among almost all other countries on Earth, and frankly I think it is superior, or at least less restrictive. Many countries like France have you take tests as young as 12 to determine if you will be placed in an Arts and Sciences prep school or straight to technical school. When I was 12 the only thing I had to worry about was getting decent grades in middle school; not about taking exams which would determine the course of my entire life. High stakes tests lead too tremendous amounts of stress, and in countries where high stakes testing is the norm (France and Japan), teen suicide rates are significantly higher. Certain states like New York have exit exams (called regencies) that you have to pass, but this is no where on the same scale as other countries. Similarly, the SAT is just one among many qualifications they look at for college, others which include several essays you write, a list of all your extracurricular activities over the years, community service, etc. I got into my school with scores that were well below the median average. In Japan the only thing you submit to a university are your test scores, and nothing else enters the equation.

Liberal arts school also receive prominence in America, granting more general degrees in general fields of study, rather than teaching the technical skills needed for a job (most careers have on-the-job training). Pursuing knowledge for the sake of knowledge is encouraged, and most liberal arts colleges don't require you to pick a major until one or two years in. In stark contrast, when I applied to McGill in Montreal, Canada, I actually had to apply twice, one application for each major I wanted, and they would admit me based on my qualifications for each. In other words, I could have gotten accepted on one path of study but rejected for another, and even if I got in on one I could never hope to change that; I would be stuck studying one thing my entire college career (In the end I got both, but as much as people like to tout "free education" in Canada, it isn't free for international students, and the financial aid they offered was appalling).

The one draw back is that American schools are expensive and competitive. This is to be expected, as outside of the state university system most colleges are privately run (which is why their curriculum can be so autonomous rather than having state-like objectives, and why they can be selective in their choice of admittances). Paying for college is perhaps the most significant problem students encounter, but the availability of need-based aid (rather than merit-based) is on the rise, moving college into affordability for most Americans. At many top tier-universities (read: rich), need-based aid has now risen to the point where anyone can afford to go to an Ivy League school (among other top universities), and their only challenge is working hard and getting in.

Liberal arts school also receive prominence in America, granting more general degrees in general fields of study, rather than teaching the technical skills needed for a job (most careers have on-the-job training). Pursuing knowledge for the sake of knowledge is encouraged, and most liberal arts colleges don't require you to pick a major until one or two years in. In stark contrast, when I applied to McGill in Montreal, Canada, I actually had to apply twice, one application for each major I wanted, and they would admit me based on my qualifications for each. In other words, I could have gotten accepted on one path of study but rejected for another, and even if I got in on one I could never hope to change that; I would be stuck studying one thing my entire college career (In the end I got both, but as much as people like to tout "free education" in Canada, it isn't free for international students, and the financial aid they offered was appalling).

The one draw back is that American schools are expensive and competitive. This is to be expected, as outside of the state university system most colleges are privately run (which is why their curriculum can be so autonomous rather than having state-like objectives, and why they can be selective in their choice of admittances). Paying for college is perhaps the most significant problem students encounter, but the availability of need-based aid (rather than merit-based) is on the rise, moving college into affordability for most Americans. At many top tier-universities (read: rich), need-based aid has now risen to the point where anyone can afford to go to an Ivy League school (among other top universities), and their only challenge is working hard and getting in.

He's got a point with the tests in other countries. My Latin professor is German and he's talked about how he took a test to determine what he was going to do. It does kind of narrow down what you get to do with your life.

But it has it's ups. I know a girl trying to get to med school because her mom told her she can be anything she wants (not that i disagree, but read on...) except she has failed every course for being in the Pre-Med program.

So, the moral is, not everyone is capable, and that's what the those European tests are for.

And yes, sadly college is way too expensive. sometimes i think it is a waste of money. then i look at how bad the economy and am like "well, getting a job is impossible. might as well get a diploma."

As far as college goes, you're not always stoned or drunk. not everyone, at least.

And there is just as much of that in high school as there is in college.

and drinking alcohol isn't that bad of a health issue if you can moderate yourself.

pretty much there are four rules that i follow:

1) never, ever, under any circumstances, play beer pong. it is the nastiest thing ever! that ball goes everywhere, and you drink the beer that it bounces in.

2) don't binge drink. Don't drink massive quantities in short amounts of time. that's stupid and causes massive damage to your body. two or three beers over the course of an hour does not do too much to your body.

3) no your limit. find a place where you can still function. You know, knowing is half the battle kind of a thing. If you know you're drunk, then stop.

4) try to stay hydrated. you vomit from drinking because alcohol dries out your body. Drink water while you drink other things, and you should stay fine, especially when in conjunction to rule three.

but good luck with college.

pretty much, study and read and do the work.

and pick things you enjoy, and the work seems less harrowing.

any idea on a major?