Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War Oosawa Mitsuki manga translation

Tomoyo

Hi I'm new here and just signed up a couple of days ago. :)

I am planning to start up a translation project for the Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War manga by Oosawa Mitsuki. And I was wondering if people here who are interested in seeing this manga translated prefer to have honorifics and titles left in Japanese similar to most manga or have the honorifics left translated or omitted similar to how it is in the video games. For example here are how some characters would be addressed with honorifics vs without in the English translation:

Japanese honorifics vs. no Japanese honorifics:

Sigurd-sama(様) vs. Lord Sigurd

Sigurd-kousi(公子) vs. Lord Sigurd or Marquess of Chalpy

Alvis-kei(卿) vs. Duke Alvis

(O)Nii-sama(兄様) vs. Lord Brother or Brother

Dierdre-sama(様) vs. Lady Dierdre

Azel-kun(君) vs. Azel

Also if you would like to help with this translation in any possible way(proofreading, editing, etc.) please send me a message.

Thank you. ^_^

By any chance, are you the same Tomoyo from the Oosawa thread in GameFAQs' FE4 board ?

Your effort in translating this manga is already much appreciated and admired, as it's not an easy project (16 volumes longs, and no furigana, unlike my Fujimori Nuts project and TheEnd's Hasha project). Can't wait to see your scanlations. :)

As for the honorifics... I personally try to use their "equivalents" in my own translation project, per advise from a Japanese who helped me in the first chapters' translation (FireLizard) and my own Japanese teachers.

But, I have to say it all depends on the work you're translating : for example, I plan in the future to make a French translation of the video game Tokimeki Memorial, and when I thought about this problem, I decided to keep the Japanese honorifics, because they are an important part of hinting your evolution in the girls' feeling about you (when they go from "friendly" status to "Tokimeki" - AKA love - status, several of the girls just drop the honorifics and name the character by his first name - or even his nickname -, or change their honorifics from -san to -kun ; and let's not forget about Shiori, the main heroine : due to the fact she's the player's childhood friend, he calls her by his first name without honorifics), and since the game is definitely Japanese culture oriented, I think I can get away with this.

So, by analysing Oosawa Mitsuki's FE4 manga, by what I read (I own nearly all tomes, save for Vol. 1 & 6), I feel you mostly don't need to go with the Japanese honorifics, the English equivalents can do the job. The only real challenge will come from characters calling other chars they're close with with the affectionnate -chan honorific, as, frm my own experience, that's always a bitch to convey this in a translation without Japanese honorifics.

As for the proofreading, if someone who have free time doesn't offer you already, I can help out, but don't fully rely on me, as I'm already busy working on my Fujimori Nuts' FE4 translation project (and I'm about to finish scanlating Volume 1 Stage 6, only 2 pages and the Omakes to do :P ).

Again, good luck in your project ! ;)

I don't think the honorifics are necessary. And good luck in translating the manga, I heard they (Oosawa's mangas) are hard. >.>

Edited by Aida

I would love to see the result of this. On the honorifics I join the crowd and say they probably aren't needed.

The only things I could help with are proofreading and photoshop stuff, but my English isn't perfect and I guess you won't need photoshop help. I will probably help if asked, though. Edit: don't know any japanese for proofreading though.

And welcome :)

Edited by Ziguludo

If you can manage to think of good equivalents, dropping them would be the best option.

there's a FE4 manga???? wow!

i suppose you should go with no honorifics.

There are at least three large FE4 mangas

I heard they (Oosawa's mangas) are hard. >.>

As Ace said... unlike Hasha no Tsurugi or Fujimori's, Oosawa's FE4 manga has no furigana.

That makes everything a lot harder.

By any chance, are you the same Tomoyo from the Oosawa thread in GameFAQs' FE4 board ?

Your effort in translating this manga is already much appreciated and admired, as it's not an easy project (16 volumes longs, and no furigana, unlike my Fujimori Nuts project and TheEnd's Hasha project). Can't wait to see your scanlations. :)

As for the honorifics... I personally try to use their "equivalents" in my own translation project, per advise from a Japanese who helped me in the first chapters' translation (FireLizard) and my own Japanese teachers.

But, I have to say it all depends on the work you're translating : for example, I plan in the future to make a French translation of the video game Tokimeki Memorial, and when I thought about this problem, I decided to keep the Japanese honorifics, because they are an important part of hinting your evolution in the girls' feeling about you (when they go from "friendly" status to "Tokimeki" - AKA love - status, several of the girls just drop the honorifics and name the character by his first name - or even his nickname -, or change their honorifics from -san to -kun ; and let's not forget about Shiori, the main heroine : due to the fact she's the player's childhood friend, he calls her by his first name without honorifics), and since the game is definitely Japanese culture oriented, I think I can get away with this.

So, by analysing Oosawa Mitsuki's FE4 manga, by what I read (I own nearly all tomes, save for Vol. 1 & 6), I feel you mostly don't need to go with the Japanese honorifics, the English equivalents can do the job. The only real challenge will come from characters calling other chars they're close with with the affectionnate -chan honorific, as, frm my own experience, that's always a bitch to convey this in a translation without Japanese honorifics.

As for the proofreading, if someone who have free time doesn't offer you already, I can help out, but don't fully rely on me, as I'm already busy working on my Fujimori Nuts' FE4 translation project (and I'm about to finish scanlating Volume 1 Stage 6, only 2 pages and the Omakes to do :P ).

Again, good luck in your project ! ;)

Yeah, I started that thread on Gamefaqs. ^_^ It is quite a difficult project, but we will see how it goes. It looks like from other responses in this thread that I will not use Japanese honorifics in the translation. I am actually not experienced in scanlating(never have done it before) so I am still learning how to correctly edit and clean images. ^_^

If VincentASM and AceNoctali would like to proofread, that would be great. As I don't have any proofreaders right now. And Zigludo, I'm not how much I need help with editing, but I will let you know if I do. ^_^

• 1 month later...
I'm going to start scanning it in this week (yeah spring break^-^). did you want me to start at the beginning (scene there is already a translation of it, I don't know if you want to re-do that)?

Ah, Aquantis, I actually am almost finished scanlating the first chapter. >_<

I thought about redoing it because that group's work you gave me is missing a page(page 39 in the manga) and I wanted to redo it without the honorifics. :)

If you would like to scan it, you can start at page 46 in the manga(where chapter 2 begins for that group's second chapter).