• FE3 Mystery of the Emblem
    • FE4 Geneology of the Holy War
    • FE5 Thracia 776
    • FE6 Sword of Seals
    • FE7 Blazing Sword
    • FE8 Sacred Stones
    • FE9 Path of Radiance
    • FE10 Radiant Dawn
    • FE11 Shadow Dragon (for the few new changes)

I looked back and there are no topics like this since at least before October (though I know there must be one somewhere), so I figured I'd make one. Which FE has the overall best story? And this means the best story, not necessarily the most unique characters (though they do help).

I would say FE10, closely followed by FE9. Its plot had quite a few twists and turns, and the conflict between goddesses was epic!

I say 7>4>9>10>8>6. So far, FE7 is the only one to really draw me into the intricacies of the storyline. FE4 had a great storyline in the 1st Gen, but all the coolness in that particular storyline was drained once the 2nd Gen came around. I personally prefer FE9's storyline more than 10, as there's less of a focus on politics and more of a focus on the people involved.

Of the ones I've completed.. 4>5>10>9>7. From what I've heard of 6 I think I might put it either before 7 or before 9.

Elaboration:

has the greatest story IMO, with the best twists and the 1st gen where it takes a while realising what's really going on. Though it is fast-paced and the storytelling gets stupid sometimes, like in the way the bad guys act in the epilogue.

I consider having the best storytelling by far. Considering it a part of FE4 gives goodness back to some lacking parts of 2nd gen.

I love the way they tell the story, especially with the way they change between groups and the epilogue when you get all unlocked on 2nd playthrough.

I never really liked the story for... Especially in the middle when you're off doing random quests.

didn't make me care about the story at all. That simple.

Edited by Ziguludo

Of the ones I've completed.. 4>5>10>9>7. From what I've heard of 6 I think I might put it either before 7 or before 9.

Elaboration:

has the greatest story IMO, with the best twists and the 1st gen where it takes a while realising what's really going on. Though it is fast-paced and the storytelling gets stupid sometimes, like in the way the bad guys act in the epilogue.

I consider having the best storytelling by far. Considering it a part of FE4 gives goodness back to some lacking parts of 2nd gen.

I love the way they tell the story, especially with the way they change between groups and the epilogue when you get all unlocked on 2nd playthrough.

I never really liked the story for... Especially in the middle when you're off doing random quests.

didn't make me care about the story at all. That simple.

I'd put 6 behind 7, actually, as 6 has you running around searching for a good plot twist that doesn't come until the end. At least 7's storyline had some great plot twists.

I'm starting to honestly get attached to Marth's storyline. I think I'll throw a vouch in for it.

Understandably it's a bit more difficult to feel for the characters in it since you mostly need to search outside the game material to really figure them out.

But on the other hand, in terms of a storyline about war, it almost feels like the most realistic of the bunch.

It doesn't feel fairy-tale-ish like the GBA games nor do the tragedies seem over-the-top (Yet somehow just convenient enough to let you start a new army) like in FE4.

Especially with the release of Shadow Dragon, it feels more and more like a story of a boy leading a war, and losing many of his loved ones as sacrifices to stop a great evil - and not just cliche loved ones like the father death we see in many FEs, but

the decoy unit in the prologue, which hurts all the more when you PICK THAT UNIT OUT and then are only told AFTERWARDS he isn't coming back

- and you have no other choice on that matter. While the other games tended to have perma-death, it seemed more like a device that encouraged you to repeat a chapter until you "get it right". FEDS made it feel more like something you just had to accept, and move on from it, with the realization that at least one of your units will CERTAINLY die.

And then when we get into book 2 of Monshou no Nazo - the motives behind all the actions tend to get a bit more fantastic since

it all plays into star-crossed lovers

, but damn, the plot centering around

a former ally, who you probably had helping you slay Medeus previously, having done a betrayal of the worst kind, and going evil... and the only thing you can do is try to kill him before he wipes out the continent.

It's really a rather bitter taste when you think about it - Sacred Stones had similar traits, but it all being compressed into one game made it feel less impactful, and it still had a lot of the GBA FE plot conventions as well.

FE4 and 5 for their depressing, dark and saddening story. It's not everyday where you get a Nintendo game with such a mature story.

FE7's story isn't bad as well. There are some heavy cliches in it but it kinda remind me of the 16-bit RPG games.