Iwata Asks - Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon

Sakurai

Well, first, may I try asking about Curate Wrys? (laughing)

Wrys: (Laughs)

EDIT: The information about how they developed tools and their NES games is absolutely fascinating.

Sakurai

Alternatively maybe some players like to gather only the middle age and up male Units and form an army that way. Which reminds me, when I played I immediately changed Curate Wrys into a Myrmidon (laughing).

Narihiro

Hah ha, Wrys! (laughing)

Haha, Sakurai is such a Wrys fanboy. I think he just re-earned my respect after the whole Brawl incident.

Edited by Chainey

Narihiro

Still I should have told you sooner about the upcoming changes. Now Fire Emblem is in its 11th installment, and the character roster expands every time. Just among allies, an additional 50 or so characters keeps getting added. Also even among opposing forces, there’re now a lot of characters whose presence penetrates the game. Overall a huge number of characters have appeared up to this point in the series.

Sakurai

At least 500 just among allies, simply giving all of them names has become a real task, right?

Narihiro

So we’re trying to make best use of the characters we’ve had up to now and from these we’re hoping to be able to produce a new game.

I wonder if this cements the claim that the next Fire Emblem game is using characters from all the games in the series, I'd suppose if they did they'd need to ret-con a lot of characters.

Wrys: (Laughs)

EDIT: The information about how they developed tools and their NES games is absolutely fascinating.

Haha, Sakurai is such a Wrys fanboy. I think he just re-earned my respect after the whole Brawl incident.

What Brawl incident?

Anyway, old men are pretty cool.

Brawl has caused quite a few uproars. How can I not call it an incident?

As for not having much respect for Sakurai, it mostly stems from Brawl being an extremely poorly balanced game. Brawl is very lucky to have survived as a competitive game.

Attempting to make a game more casual friendly is one thing. Completely failing at balancing characters and not noticing completely obvious and glaring issues (skill based combos are the bane of the series, yet keeping in easy to do chain grabs and infinites is apparently perfectly fine) is another.

Edited by Chainey

Who opened the Brawl can of wroms? Do we need every thread in this section of the forum to be turned into some argument that has little to do with the original topic :(

Now to be a complete hypocrite. Also the official site is open but...looking at the characters section given Minerva is from Macedon and there is some girl called Caeda the North American translation could be different. then again it could not given the fact Macedon had to go from the European verison given the similarity to Macedonia and I can only explain Caeda as someone from NOE hearing our uproar (our press releases said Caeda too :( ).

That aside. The interview itself

About 50 different characters can join you as friendly Units, but I think you can only feel attached to about 15 of them

15. I've heared that magic number before.

Also it really interesting to hear about how FE1 sold. Maybe there is hope yet for Europe...nah :lol:

I wonder if this cements the claim that the next Fire Emblem game is using characters from all the games in the series, I'd suppose if they did they'd need to ret-con a lot of characters.

Try to remember this interview was done in July 2008. Thank you Iwata for being absent and saying "I'm off to E3" as the reason

Edited by Starwolf_UK

Some parts make me feel like they're just trying to sell it (overexagerating character development and attachment), but some points are convincing they at least know their own game (taking Jagen's weapon before the you know what part)

Was interesting to hear about how they worked on the original though. Development in the old days seem pretty hectic.

At least they have the same sense of humor we have on characters (llol Wrys) ...Or maybe they are trying to sell us on it again? o0;; If they are...very subtle, yet effective. These guys do their homework...

I'm surprised Sakurai didn't just go to the interview in make-up and in slutty dresses though.

Attempting to make a game more casual friendly is one thing. Completely failing at balancing characters and not noticing completely obvious and glaring issues (skill based combos are the bane of the series, yet keeping in easy to do chain grabs and infinites is apparently perfectly fine) is another.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=444

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=445

Go join the Meleetards and Brawltards at Smashboards if you really want to give out at a perfectly fine game. I assume (even if you made the error of making an off-topic criticism) that you don't want to carry out a Melee vs. Brawl argument (which I don't either; they're both good), here is still not the place to do it.

On topic, that was a nice read. I was expecting bias in pronounciation from the start, so I didn't mind. It was cool to hear more about how Fire Emblem was made, and some things about Intelligent Systems in general, too.

And his family's into Fire Emblem too? :o Sweet.

Brawl has problems, but it's not character balance, it's the fact that it was built on the premise of "Hey, if we take Melee's engine, dumb it down, and add in Solid Snake, Wario, and Diddy Kong, ya think it's still gonna sell out?"

Pisses me off way more than any balance issues the game has.

Go join the Meleetards and Brawltards at Smashboards if you really want to give out at a perfectly fine game.
Who opened the Brawl can of wroms? Do we need every thread in this section of the forum to be turned into some argument that has little to do with the original topic
Honestly, the only reason I spoke my reason is because Kintendo is apparently the only one that has never heard the arguments before and had to ask despite his question being answered months in advance.

And I don't speak about Brawl's balance because I'm a Melee-tard, I speak about Brawl's balance because it affects the game regardless of whether I prefer Melee or not.

Seriously people. I was put on the spot for that question and me saying that I didn't have much respect for Sakurai shouldn't have caused people to ask why in the first place. Now I don't want criticism for answering said question.

Edited by Chainey

Honestly, the only reason I spoke my reason is because Kintendo is apparently the only one that has never heard the arguments before and had to ask despite his question being answered months in advance.

Either he hasn't heard of it, or he disagrees with the idea that the entire game can be considered an incident.

Now, if I may give a friendly reminder to everybody who wishes to discuss Brawl further: There is a forum on this website devoted to such discussions, but this is not it.