I've noticed that a lot of mods +1 post

When they lock a topic, you post so it's known what the topic was locked for. I don't see the big deal with warns and why you should bring them up, but it's somewhat easier to do it publicly (and it sets more of an example of what not to do for others) than sending a PM or something.

Not like post count matters.

Edited by Nathan Graves

As Nathan Graves explained, if a moderator chooses to post in a thread when closing it, he or she usually does so either to explain why the thread was locked. If this is not the case, such a post is still useful as it identifies to the staff (and I suppose any members who might hope to ask for clarified reasons for the topic's being locked) who took action.

As said, moderation doesn't count as post spamming. It's not like we're going into topics and saying something like, "Haha." and nothing else. The intended goal is to inform people of what they did wrong in a place where they'll hopefully see it so that they can refrain from doing it again. PMs can be deleted or ignored without even seeing the message. Posts are a bit harder to do that with, unless the person doesn't go in and see what was added on to the thread after they posted. (In which case, they're likely to break the rules again, thus incurring further moderation.)

Plus, I agree that post count doesn't mean much. Hell, I only have ~250, and I've been here three months or so. Lord Raven(Nathan G) has almost 4 times as many posts, and he joined at the same time. But, it means nothing to me. It's all a matter of quality over quantity, in that regard.

Edited by Lord Glenn