Rank some characters from a scale of 1 to 10

Galenforcer

I haven't used everyone so I'll rate for those I don't use by what I heard about their growth rates.

Lyn:7.5/10

Sain:6/10

Kent:6/10

Florina:9/10

Will:6/10

Dorcas:5/10

Serra:6.5/10

Erk:6.66/10

Rath:5/10

Matthew:7/10

Nils:0/10

Lucius:8/10

Wallace:4/10

I'll do Eliwood/Hector's story later.

Lyndis: 7/10

Kent: 7/10

Sain: 6.5/10

Wil: 8/10

Florina: 9.5/10

Dorcas: 8/10

Serra: 9/10

Erk: 6/10

Rath: 4/10

Matthew: 6/10

Lucius: 10/10

Nils: 6.5/10

Wallace: 9/10

Eliwood: 9/10

Marcus: 7/10

Rebecca: 7/10

Lowen: 9/10

Bartre: 7/10

Marcus: 0/10 Because he steals EXP!!!!111!!!

Hector: 1/10

Oswin: 2/10

Lowen: 3/10

Nils: 4/10

Ninian: 5/10

Eliwood: 6/10

Renault: 7/10

Guy: 8/10

Karla: 9/10

Lyn: 10/10

Karel: 9/10

Dart: 8/10

Rebecca: 7/10

Raven: 610

Harken: 5/10

Hawkeye: 4/10

Fiona: 3/10

Dorcs: 2/10

Canas: 1/10

Sain: 0/10

Reason for Lyn? BECAUSE SHE CRITS OVER 9000!!!111 TIMES!!!!11!!!11!!1 Oh, and dodges everything.

By the way, these scores have a +/- 10 point margin of error.

[/lol sarcasm]

I'm cool with doing a more "realistic" one, but these are so inflated out of proportion. Especially with the Nils one, which Vykan pointed out.

Edited by Colonel M

Marcus: 0/10 Because he steals EXP!!!!111!!!

This.

And

Lyn 6.5/10

Sain: 8.5/10

Kent: 8.5/10

Florina: 7/10

Will: 5/10

Dorcas: 5/10

Serra: 10/10

Erk: 8/10

Rath: 4/10

Matthew: 10/10

Nils: 10/10

Lucius: 8/10

Wallace: wtf/10

Eliwood: 8/10

Hector: 9/10

It would be nice if you guys gave a reason for your ratings instead of just flinging out a few names with some numbers attached. =\ Even if it's just a sentence, an explanation or two would be nice.

I'll list the Lyn's Mode characters... Not just for their Lyn's Mode performance, though.

Lyn - 3/10. She lacks in offense unless she has the Mani Katti, and her defense is just terrible (abysmal Def, unreliable Avoid thanks to lances and level cap.) Plus, she has a really late promotion - and her Wind affinity does little to help her win some supports.

Kent - 7/10. Very well-rounded, high movement, weapon triangle control, move again... All around reliable.

Sain - 8/10. Similar to Kent, only his Strength leads are quite attractive. Plus, he's got a cool-looking headband.

Florina - 4.5/10. She has her nice flight utility, but her defense is rubbish and there's not much in her favor.

Wil - 2/10. Lolarcher, basically. Never found much use for 'em in FE7.

Dorcas - 6/10. His HP gives him some good tanking utilities earlygame, but he tends to end up too slow with time.

Serra - 9/10. Great availability, massive utility (healers ftw), and the ability to one-round most anything after promotion. Of course, let's not forget her Thunder affinity and good support list...

Erk - 6.5/10. He has availability, some good starting stats... He has good supports, too. Unfortunately, he tends to lose his usefulness later on in the game, where everyone is one-rounding and durability is key. Staff equip upon promotion is nothing to scoff at, though.

Matthew - 7/10. Stealing/lockpicking is nifty, and he has a good support list. He's lackluster in combat, with low defense and offense, and his massively late promotion, but... Stealing is still useful. :P

Nils - 10/10. Quite simply, he's just as useful as whatever unit you want most at the time. Assuming the unit you want is being played and is at maximum 2x their movement away.

Lucius - 6.5/10. Very powerful and fast, he can one-round most anything anytime. His durability is very lacking, though... But that's really what's expected from a magic user like him. :P Overall, he's good earlygame and below average lategame, since his whole "one-round everything" shtick is taken up by everybody.

Wallace - 2/10. I can't really find anything good about this guy. :mellow:

This topic makes me want to rank FE7 units next, because it just screams "you're doing it wrong".

Edited by Mekkah

Florina-7/10

Fiora-8/10

Farina-9/10, if counting availability and her price, 5/10

Nils-6/10

Isadora-5/10

This topic makes me want to rank FE7 units next, because it just screams "you're doing it wrong".

I doubt everyone is looking up all enemy stats and everything just to give their ratings. However different people play differently. A lot of people hate archers because of no enemy phase. They should bear in mind that archers are immune to counterattack from most opponents as well, and aren't meant to be tanks to throw at an army...but to support behind the front lines. Some may love Serra because how good she is...AFTER promotion, though before she isn't anything special and it is a huge pain to gain levels with her...for healing you are better off with a mounted healer like Priscilla.

Personal preference always plays a role in ratings, since everyone plays differently.

I will just put ratings on characters to show what I consider 1-10/10.

10: Hector, Oswin, Matthew, Pent. Hector and Oswin are awesome thanks to their high defense stat (I love it whenever enemies come with a strong weapon but doesn't even scratch their HP :D). Matthew is one of the most useful characters in the game, he has lots and lots of play time and his supports are still good. Pent is a good example of a good pre-promote: good bases, growths, weapon levels and someone who doesn't hog all the exp. (except maybe in Living Legend... but he is an NPC what could you ask for?)

9: Sain, Guy, Eliwood, Erk, Raven. All of these units have good availability, Sain and Erk help a lot in Lyn mode (not that they really NEED that much but still), Guy/Raven is the only (good) swordmaster/hero in this game and Eliwood isn't all that bad either.

6: Lyn, Bartre, Wil. Lyn is kind of like a swordmaster without the critical bonus yet she isn't the most useful unit either. Bartre is strong but misses a lot and starts to become hard to train after a few chapters. Wil is a very slow archer who actually has good competition.

1: Wallace. Probably the worst unit in the game. If you bothered promoting him in Lyn mode at base level to simplify the few chapters, then he will completly fail when you get him back. If you waited a bit, then he would've hogged a bunch of exp. for your other units (who really need it). Speaking of when you get him back... Why WOULD you want him? He is useless. I'd love to watch a knight/general run in this game or something because this guy won't help you in ANY WAY. Only useful thing is that he gives you a free knight crest.

I doubt everyone is looking up all enemy stats and everything just to give their ratings. However different people play differently. A lot of people hate archers because of no enemy phase. They should bear in mind that archers are immune to counterattack from most opponents as well, and aren't meant to be tanks to throw at an army...but to support behind the front lines. Some may love Serra because how good she is...AFTER promotion, though before she isn't anything special and it is a huge pain to gain levels with her...for healing you are better off with a mounted healer like Priscilla.

Personal preference always plays a role in ratings, since everyone plays differently.

I think it's not much of an issue of not playing differently (though I'm sure some units could be used much more effectively, what with people's tendency to wait for L20 to promote, to not use Marcus early on, etc). However, people simply see things the wrong way when they play.

Here, an example. Someone is playing Ch12 Hector Hard Mode.

Marcus holding Bartre hits a Brigand for 80% damage.

Rebecca kills Brigand, and gains 30 EXP.

Thoughts of players:

Fanboy: "WOW, REBECCA IS GROWING SOO FAST ^_^ BARTRE IS USELESS SO MARCUS IS HOLDING HIM SO HE DOESNT KILL AND HOG ALL THE EXP. MAN REBECCA IS GOING TO BE AWESOME LATER ON."

Debater: "Why did I even do that? I took Bartre off the field when he could have attacked something else, even if it were with a Hand Axe, while also protecting some frail unit like Serra. In exchange, I crippled Marcus' offense so that I also needed Rebecca to finish off the Brigand, just to have her gain 30 EXP when I'm going to dump her later since later on nearly anyone can kill and survive well, but also have enemy phase action. "

Lyn is kind of like a swordmaster without the critical bonus

I'm pretty sure she has a crit bonus, my crit always goes way up after promotion with Lyn.

Here, an example. Someone is playing Ch12 Hector Hard Mode.

Hmm...I've never played Hector Hard Mode. I assume all ratings are on normal Eliwood route though. However I know this is just to give an example but...

I also needed Rebecca to finish off the Brigand, just to have her gain 30 EXP when I'm going to dump her later since later on nearly anyone can kill and survive well, but also have enemy phase action. "

Really nearly anyone can kill and survive well late in HHM? I assume the bonuses must be amazing then. However...as for the last statement, I find archers always useful. I attack with my whole army (though I may send groups here and there for different tasks), and position my units so archers and obviously healers (and mages often) will not get attacked on enemy phase so archers not having enemy phase is irrelevent. Besideswhich since they won't get counterattacked, unless I attack a mage or another archer (won't ever do that), my healer can worry about healing other units.

I'm pretty sure she has a crit bonus, my crit always goes way up after promotion with Lyn.

She definitely doesn't have a crit bonus.

Personally, I think of Lyn as more of a dismounted Nomadic Trooper, but that's me.

She doesn't. It's just the wtf crit attached to her weps.

Hector 10/10

His top four of his seven supports (sorted by total support growth) are good, and most likely 3/7 of them are going to be used most effectively. He's definitely one unit you're gonna want to be using.

Jaffar 7/10

Starts off good, and is your best assassin for ranked runs. Doesn't have much going on with supports though, with his best ones being Legault and Nino.

Lucius 9/10

Even though he has the durability of tissue paper, that certainly doesn't stop him. The most likely candidate for using Aureola (with one reason is to lighten Athos's luggage). And his top three out of his five supports can be used to your advantage.

Eliwood 8/10

People on this site say he's the best lord, but I don't really see too much of that. In terms of offense and defense, he's pretty much the middle man among the three. He doesn't excell in any area in particular except in movement, and that's after promotion. Three out of his seven supports suit him just fine.

Marcus 6/10

He's useful during earlygame for weakening enemies and protecting Merlinus. And he's fine during midgame. But when lategame comes, he starts getting sloppier, and to add to that, other cavs start surpassing him. It's not bad to use him when he is available, but he can be a bit of a letdown in the long run.

Pent 8/10

Your best mage for the entire game. He starts off with A rank staff utility, which is a blessing. He already has an A support with Louise, so give him a B support with someone like Canas or Erk to complete the set, and he should be good to to.

Louise 5/10

I'd have to say, even though she starts off promoted, she's the worst archer in the game. Her A support with Pent helps her out, but getting attacked without retailiating close range attackers hinders her. She's considered to be the Jeorge of this game.

Wil 6/10

He's like the Gordin of this game and pretty much winds up like his predecessor. His best support is Rebecca, with Dart coming in second. But he suffers the problems all archers encounter, which can lead him to be a drag.

Rebecca 7/10

Basically the best archer in the game when you put some effort in. Her shining point, I would say is when Farina joins. But like Wil, her childhood friend and fellow Pheraean archer, 2 of her supports are her best ones, and they are both Wil and Dart. (She can also go to Raven for some avoid.) But she still suffers not being able to attack though.

Lyn 9/10

I find her durability exxagerated a lot on this site. Even though averages show she has low defense, her durability isn't so abysmal that it hinders gameplay. As with Hector, four of her seven supports are good. If her support options were decided by affinity alone, they would stink. (But the same would hold true for others who share her affinity, like Sain, Priscilla, or Fiora for example.) But thankfully, they aren't. Offense is her specialty, and if you're aiming to complete a chapter in the shortest time, it's good to have a bit of mixture between the two.

Serra 7/10

Your only healer for Lyn's mode, and your second best one in the game. She doesn't have nothing much but slow supports save for Sain and Lucius. But I'm pretty sure that doesn't stop her from healing duties.

Priscilla 9/10

The best healer in the game. Supurb healing utility due to being on a horse. Save for Raven, she has a pretty flexible support list, even though one of them joins a little late.

Raven 8/10

Simply put, your best merc. Lucius is his best support, with Rebecca comig in second. He often faces WTD from time to time, but his promotion fixes that.

Oswin 9/10

He's called OsWIN for a reason. He wins, period. He's a pretty darn good tank, and when it comes to supports, 60% of them are great to take advantage of.

Wallace 6/10

What can I say? Late join time, and if Lyn's story is played, forced to promote during the tutorial (even though there is a way around it), and is pretty much fodder if he doesn't. He's fine if you don't mind using him, but I'd prefer recruiting Geitz.

Hawkeye 7/10

He doesn't have much goin on with supports, but when you do have him. He doesn't dissapoint. He has speed issues, but for the rest of his total gametime, he's just fine.

Guy 8/10

What can I say, the best swordmaster in the game, his affinity is most likely giving him full attack, accuracy, and crit due to his support options. (With Rath, being the only one who gives full avoid to him.)

Erk 7/10

Good during Lyn's story, and is most likely to be your second-best mage in the game, ranked run or not.

I'm sorry I can't give any more details due to certain time constraints. And due to those same time constraints, I'm gonna have to finish this at a later time.

Edited by Little Al

Hector 8/10

Jaffar 6/10

Lucius 5/10

Eliwood 6/10

Marcus 3/10

Pent 6/10

Louise 3/10

Wil 4/10

Rebecca 3.5/10

Lyn 6.5/10

Serra 3/10

Priscilla 3.5/10

Raven 4.5/10

Oswin 7.5/10

Wallace 2/10

Hawkeye 4/10

Guy 4.5/10

Erk 6/10

Dart 1/10

Dorcas 2.5/10

Bartre 2/10

Kent 6/10

Sain 5.5/10

Lowen 5.5/10

Karel 2.5/10

Harken 3/10

Geitz 3/10

Florina 6/10

Fiora 5/10

Farina 4/10

Nils/Ninian 3/10

Canas 6/10

Renault 2/10

Nino 4/10

Rath 3/10

Heath 2.5/10

Vaida 1.5/10

Matthew 3/10

Isadora 2/10

Legault 2.5/10

Athos 3.5/10

Are you just listing the amount of enemies they would survive at a random point in the game if these enemies would always hit or something then add a "/10" at the end? No, not even that makes sense here.

HHM unranked

Hector 9/10. Promoting later than the other two lords doesn't really help him much, but his strength, durability, and support options are good. He's on the slower side and has hit issues early in the game, but overall a great unit. Plus, he doesn't take up a slot.

Serra 6/10 Serra has valuable healing utility throughout the entire game,though as additional healers like Priscilla come in her usefulness diminishes. She has a good support list, but all of her supports are rather slow. Serra never really becomes a good attacking unit, her Con is low and she usually won't have the Spd to make up for it. Her Mag is also on the low side, and light magic isn't so good.

Matthew 8/10 Not as good as in ranked because we don't need the Silver Card, but his thieving utility is still very useful, at least until we get Legault, he never really becomes a good combat unit though.

Oswin 9/10 Oswin is very durable, strong, and has a good support list. Speed is his main issue, but he still doubles a fair number of enemies

Eliwood 7/10 Before he promotes, Eliwood has some issues. He doesn't double consistently, deals pretty poor damage, and isn't especially durable. A lot of this is due to being on the bad end of WTD, though sometimes the Rapier helps. After he promotes he gets lances and can keep up with his supports better. Eliwood gas a generally good support list and is forced on several chapters, so not usiing him is generally more painful than using him.

Marcus 6/10 Not too much to say about Marcus, he's pretty much our local Jeigan. Useful for the early chapters, but bad bases and growths keep him from being very useful once other characters start promoting.

Lowen 8/10 Lowen's a generally good character, he's very durable and has a good support list. His offense is questionable though, it grows better over time, but he'll often have issues doubling and his damage output isn't the highest.

Rebecca 3/10 She deals low chip damage throughout the majority of the game, and isn't very durable for a while. She eventually grows to be fair, but she'll never have an Enemy Phase.

Dorcas 6/10 Dorcas is a decent character overall, he has good supports, decent durability, and axes are a good weapon type. He has doubling issues, but they aren't nearly as severe as Bartre's. Hitting things early on can be problematic.

Bartre 3/10 Bartre has some very very serious issues to deal with. Base 3 Spd is the mainproblem, even with a decent growth rate Bartre shouldn't be expected to double ever. It's so bad that it hurts his durability, since he can get doubled easily. He hits even less things than Dorcas does early on. Bartre sort of becomes a good unit eventually, but I wouldn't bother with him.

Guy 7/10 Due to the HM bonus, Guy starts off as a rather good unit compared to much of your army. He's very fast and has decent stats in other areas. His supports are questionable though.

Erk 7/10 Erk is a generally solid unit. His durability is very questionable until he gets his supports/Avo to kick in, but his offense is good with doubling and hitting Res. He has a good support list and get staves post promotion.

Priscilla 7/10 Priscilla is a good unit overall. Having both staff utility and being on horse is very handy, and her supports are excellent. Not being able to attack pre-promotion is a bit of a hassle, but with her high Spd and Mag she makes a good attacker post promotion.

Lyn 6/10 Lyn has her strong points and her weak points. She's a lord, so she's forced on several maps, a benefit in her favor. She can double very consistently and can often use the Mani Katti to overcome her lowish Str. She also has a good support list. On the downside, her durability is relatively low, since she does have high Avo but often faces WTD. Getting bows post promotion is also only a minor boon.

Kent 8/10 Kent is a solid all around unit, much like many of the Cavaliers in the game. He's very durable, has solid offense, and a good support list.

Sain 8/10 Sain is very much like Kent, though often trades a little durability for slightly more offense.

Wil 3/10 Wil has many of the same problems Rebecca had, except he's slower, but has Lyn Mode so he probably has a good level lead on her. Wil's durability actually isn't that terible, but he just no Enemy Phase offense and his Player Phase isn't very good either.

Florina 7/10 Florina is probably the best flying unit in the game. She has good speed, though this is often somewhat offset by her low Con and lowish Str. Florina can grow into a fairly durable unit, especially with supports, and her flying utiltiy is very much appreciated on several maps.

I think I'll leave it at that for now.

Edited by -Cynthia-