FE6 Character Ratings

Klein is maybe Dieck's fastest support to C, but it's definitely not his fastest support.

You should probably include something about +4 def from promotion, either when you're focusing on Dieck's defensive prowess or on the possibility of early promotion.

Edited by dondon151

Klein is maybe Dieck's fastest support to C, but it's definitely not his fastest support.

By "him" you mean Klein's? Well, his only faster ones are Clarine and Tate, and Tate has kind of a 50/50 chance of being played, give or take a bit. Percy, yes, but I don't know why you'd bother to support a unit who's too busy going off on his own with his 8 mov being rapeface with an archer.

By "him" you mean Klein's? Well, his only faster ones are Clarine and Tate, and Tate has kind of a 50/50 chance of being played, give or take a bit. Percy, yes, but I don't know why you'd bother to support a unit who's too busy going off on his own with his 8 mov being rapeface with an archer.

By "him" I meant Dieck (damn you, antecedents!). KleinxDieck doesn't really go anywhere after C (which already takes 2-3 chapters at least), since Klein's performance drops off.

By "him" I meant Dieck (damn you, antecedents!). KleinxDieck doesn't really go anywhere after C (which already takes 2-3 chapters at least), since Klein's performance drops off.

Oh, I was being an idiot and was only taking base support points/growth into account, so I fucked up even worse.

Edited by Athena's Chest

Ward

I won't lie, I love Ward. Out of all the crappy units in this game, he's my favourite. But he's definitely not a good unit.

Ward is unforgivably slow. 5 base and 20% growth is slightly slower than FE7 Dorcas, in a game with faster enemies. He simply won't double anything but Knights, Soldiers and other slugs. Then his accuracy issues kick in: ~72 hit with Iron before enemy avo, which already reaches ~10 earlygame, nevermind terrain or WTD. So basically, he has one inaccurate swing. Granted, it's a powerful one, with 16 base atk and 50% growth.

His base durability is also pretty bad. 28 hp/3 def is pretty acceptable, but Nomads and Mercs double him always, and Cavaliers often do, particulary if he strays from Iron Axe. All he has to look forward to is WTA over lance users, which admittedly helps.

Ward is fairly dependent on supports. If we assume he's being used, he can reasonably take a Thunder/Fire support with Dieck, which gives full avo/crt and half atk/def/hit. Thany and Lot help him even more: Thany passes him full offense, while Lot gives him pretty much what Dieck gives but with atk instead of crt. The Alan support might as well not exist, but if Ward's list somehow isn't full by Western Isles, Echidna will take him as easily as any other, as all her non-Lalum supports are 1+1, but Ward has Fire affinity. Shares that with Geese though. So if you want to use Ward, then it's wise to set up supports for him, preferably Lot since it's so fast (10/40/80).

Ward will outgrow some of his problems overtime to an extent, especially if he's being supported. His durability becomes quite good thanks to enormous HP, potential +25 avo bonus, and up to +3 def if he takes his most defensive set (A Lot/B Dieck). His promotion overkills this even more, with a whoamg +8 hp/+3 def. Assuming full avo/def supports for a second, 20/1 Ward has ~50 hp, 58 avo and around 13 def. It'll likely be a bit less on average due to support variation.

Still, he keeps the speed problems. 10.6 average Spd at 20/1 still gets him doubled by some things. Usually things like Paladins and Snipers are borderline, slower things won't double him, and fast swordsmen and Nomads always will. The hit problem is now less due to supports and the options of shooting with Iron Bows, though this also reduces his power severly unless he goes Peg-hunting in Ilia. If you ever get him to D bows, he has like 47 atk before supports on fliers with Steel Bow, which is worth noting. But so is ~35 atk with Silver Axe, enough to one-shot fragile things. And Ward also has potential of ~57 crit before enemy luk with a Killer Axe, and Killer isn't any less accurate than Iron.

So yeah, you're looking at something that starts with just a bunch of hp and atk and issues with about anything else. Then with supports and promo his durability becomes good, but his offense still sits at a 2HKO, occasionally with hit issues. His performance varies heavily depending on supports, but he has like a million acceptable options in this regard, so he's not very inflexible.

4.5/10

Lot

A much improved version on Ward, with a tad more spd and def, and a higher skl base, though Ward has a skl higher growth, so around 18/0 they have the same.

Lot is getting doubled less with that 2 more base spd and 15% more growth, basically just by Mercs, Myrms and some Nomads unless he weighs himself down. His hp/def combo is pretty impressive at later points, especially post promotion due to the Warrior promo bonus (again, wtf +8 hp/+3 def). His offense will generally remain somewhat average though, only doubling semi-slow and below due to overall average AS and sometimes hit issues. Damn 65 hit Iron Axe.

Lot has roughly the same supports as Ward, though he's less dependent on them. He doesn't get as much hit from supports though due to his own affinity, but atk/def/avo is still welcome. Dieck and Lot turn each other into even bigger defensive monsters, and he can finish off with Thany or Echidna if possible.

He's most useful in lance heavy maps, especially those with wyverns, otherwise he's mostly an extra body good for shielding and supporting, but not so much offense. He can crit stuff with the early-available Killer Axe, or other special axes like Hammr and Halberd (latter is risky earlygame in Ch4/Ch7, but great pay-off).

Not much else to say about this woodchopper. He has insane competition for Hero Crest, of course, so you might not want to promote him until Ch16 in favor of other madmen.

6.5/10

Edited by Mekkah

Thany

Thany gets a lot of hype in the tier list lately. Perhaps it's deserved, perhaps not.

It doesn't get more typical than this for a Peg Knight: fairly low concrete durability and strength, but fast as greased lightning. A whole bunch of skl, and oddly enough her res is about the same as her def until the higher levels (and it still only gets a 3-4 point lead).

Luckily enough, Thany's base 17 hp/6 def is enough not to get one-shotted by anything except Archers, though it's still too low to survive two hits of anything except maybe a Mercenary. This means you can actually feed her kills earlygame using 1-range weapons without fearing she dies instantly. Her speed is high enough to double everything except Nomads/Mercs/Myrms (I'm going to summarize this as "fast things" in the future), and her flexibility is pretty high thanks to 7 mov + flying.

Thany also has the secondary use of ferrying things around. Although this denies her EXP from battling as long as she's busy, it builds up other utility value, so it can't be used against her net worth. It allows you to collect items from villages, put Bors in a spot you want him on, make take/drop combos, etcetera. Flying certainly helps when you're not being barraged by archers.

However, it does delay her level a bit. Which might matter since you'll want her to get to L10 during Ch8, as that's when Elysian Whip arrives. Thany makes one of the best, if not the best prepromote candidates in the game, what with her promo item being as competed for as Orion's Bolt. A promotion at Ch8 allows her to pick up swords which reduces the hit all the western isle axes by an effective 20%, which combined with her natural ~50 avo makes her almost untouchable. The +2s across the board help her a lot as well. Now she just has archers to watch out for, but she outranges them, so unless it's Fog of War there's literally no excuse to leave her in the range of one.

Supports...well, when Thany is flying around, there's no support benefit, so you might not see much of it. If she sticks with the group just being a flexible attacker, she can support Dieck and Lot. Maybe a C with Roy, but that's 1+1. She has a flier support with Tate, sadly with Wind/Ice (terrible bonuses), and the rest of her supports are pretty crappy. Not what you'd call a lifesaver, but it's better than nothing. Her Wind affinity doesn't give avo which is kind of bad, but the other three bonuses are welcome to about everyone since offense is sometimes harder to maintain in this game than defense.

Using Thany also allows you to use Shin throughout the game and still go to Ilia, which makes life easier. Note, however, that if you promote Thany early she doesn't gain as much EXP, so you'd probably have to do the same with Shin or hold him back. Or maybe the game doesn't work like that and actually adds 10 levels (1000 EXP) for the Pegasus total if you promote her early...something that Vincent or someone else who is bored would have to confirm for me. I don't believe this affects her rating largely.

7/10

• 4 weeks later...

You should mention that Thany has terrible con. Even if you max her speed in tier 1, a steel lance brings her AS down to 11. She usually has to stick with iron to double, but a crappy weapon + crappy strength is nothing to write home about, doubling or not.

The reason why I was so adamant on anti-Thanyism is out of fear that her getting kills and Lugh/Chad/whoever else not getting them would sandbag Lugh to Lower Mid. It became clear that he wasn't falling there so I had no reason to argue anymore.

I still think she's overrated but w/e really.

goddamnit now smash himself is drawing comparisions between Me-Thany and him-Mia

Edited by BBblader

The reason why I was so adamant on anti-Thanyism is out of fear that her getting kills and Lugh/Chad/whoever else not getting them would sandbag Lugh to Lower Mid. It became clear that he wasn't falling there so I had no reason to argue anymore.

What? You argue against the logic, not against (or for) a character. The character would just happen to be the poor victim.

goddamnit now smash himself is drawing comparisions between Me-Thany and him-Mia

It was easy enough to make that connection.

Edited by 8========================D

What? You argue against the logic, not against (or for) a character. The character would just happen to be the poor victim.

That's not the only option. On the one hand, arguing against a given practice or idea is a perfectly fine option. Especially if the argument is articulate and offers some new perspective that has not yet been considered. On the other hand, another option is accepting an idea because enough people seem to think it applies to a good tier list and then making arguments when the idea doesn't seem to be applied consistently to all characters (at least, in as much as it can be applied, since circumstances are different for each character and not all ideas apply equally to all characters). As near as I can tell BBblader is going with the second option (though I could be wrong). I am not certain at this point how he actually feels about the cost of babying Thany and Lugh and Chad and whoever else.