Favorite (non-FE) Strategy RPGs

The AI

Well, I already know that I'm a huge fan of Fire Emblem, and I'm thinking of branching off into other SRPGs. I know that a lot of them aren't like FE, but I still want to see if this genre is as awesome as everyone says it is. A few games I'm thinking of checking out are the Ogre Battle series, the Shining Force series, and Final Fantasy Tactics. Do these games live up to the hype? And are there any other great SRPGs out there?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advanced wars.

Well, it's not a Strategy RPG, but yeah, I've played the second one in the series. It's awesome.

Super Robot Wars. It's my favorite series overall.

Hmmm. I'll have to check that out.

Edited by The AI

Hmmm. I'll have to check that out.

Well, it's a bunch of animes of mechas joined in one game. Also some originals.

It's been milked for like 20 years.

I'd recommend looking at the games the company Atlus have been making; they've been making pretty good games that fit what your looking for. I'd recommend playing Luminous Ark 1 and 2 as well as Summon Nights ( Both are for DS though). To be sure you'd like them, I'd personally check on youtube at the gameplay to see if I'd enjoy it. It also has great Voice Actors! :lol:

TearRing Saga. What >.>

Actually, any really. I like the Tactics Ogre games on the SFC and GameBoy Advance (PSX too?). I'm not much for RTS games, as I always feel like I'm not able to keep up with everything. LEGO Battles is getting me introduced to them currently ._.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I made the main character waay overpowered.

Himegari Dungeon Meister. Fun game, random growths. Only play it if you're 18. I'm serious.

Final Fantasy Tactics. Not Tactics Advance, I hated that game. Kartia is pretty cool as well, but it's too damn easy. Vandal Hearts is also cool.

Thanks for the suggestions. :D

For everyone saying "ADVANCE WARS!" I've already played it. Freakin' awesome? Yeah. But I don't really count it as a strategy "RPG" per se.

By the way, I started playing Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (emulators ftw?), and holy shit. It's pretty daunting at first, but a lot of fun once you get into it. It's like... FE4 for eggheads.