• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if X is merely the number of tiles and doesn't give a measurement, so with the 1 sq ft being a red herring, then it's simply 4x, though if it needs to be a closed border, then it's 4x + 4 for the corners.

It probably is closed border. Math problems have a trick in them somehow. The 1 sq ft is simply reassuring the reader that the tiles are 1x1, not quite a red herring.

It probably is closed border. Math problems have a trick in them somehow. The 1 sq ft is simply reassuring the reader that the tiles are 1x1, not quite a red herring.

Well, perhaps not red herring, but it is a pointless data for the problem since you're told the size of the pool in tiles, so unless you're also told the tiles you have are not of the same size of the tiles used to measure the pool, then the size of the tiles is irrelevant.

Well, perhaps not red herring, but it is a pointless data for the problem since you're told the size of the pool in tiles, so unless you're also told the tiles you have are not of the same size of the tiles used to measure the pool, then the size of the tiles is irrelevant.

I wouldn't call it 'pointless', since you just know the side is 'x' inches (I'm assuming inches). No mention of how many tiles long they were. It was written to tell the reader it is safe to ignore the length of the tile. Without it, you'd possibly be left with trying to account with said tile size.

I wouldn't call it 'pointless', since you just know the side is 'x' inches (I'm assuming inches). No mention of how many tiles long they were. It was written to tell the reader it is safe to ignore the length of the tile. Without it, you'd possibly be left with trying to account with said tile size.

Wait, telling the size of the tiles is a sign to safely ignore the size? What kinda of logic is that...?

it's an impossible task right from the beginning

and yet, we have no choice but to try

indeed, we truly have no choice

I have always been training myself in it

ever since a long time ago

so long ago

I don't even remember

Wait, telling the size of the tiles is a sign to safely ignore the size? What kinda of logic is that...?

The logic of people who will also write more complex problems. If it had been presented without a size, the correct answer would have had to account for the unknown size of the tile. Likely by using more letters.

The logic of people who will also write more complex problems. If it had been presented without a size, the correct answer would have had to account for the unknown size of the tile. Likely by using more letters.

But the problem only tells you the size of the pool by X number of tiles, never mentioning the size of the tiles.

Let's say the tiles are 2 sq ft instead

there'd be a rad(2) in there somewhere like if one side is Y ft long then that side would have Y/rad2 tiles in it but since it's Y/1 you can leave that as Y

1 just makes things easier since 1 is a multiplicative/divisive identity which means you can ignore it because it won't change results

if they gave you something other than 1, or something like a length a, you'd have to account for that

Edited by Thor Odinson

Oh Kat.

Thanks for the pictures of Sumire you found and apparently told Vashi to show me last night.

./leaves

No problem. I could only hop on for a brief while yesterday, so I asked if she'd mind.

But the problem only tells you the size of the pool by X number of tiles, never mentioning the size of the tiles.

No, it just says 'x'. There's no mention of it being the number of tiles. It specifically states the tiles are 1 square foot, didn't it?

Let's say the tiles are 2 sq ft instead

there'd be a rad(2) in there somewhere like if one side is Y ft long then that side would have Y/rad2 tiles in it but since it's Y/1 you can leave that as Y

1 just makes things easier since 1 is a multiplicative/divisive identity which means you can ignore it because it won't change results

if they gave you something other than 1, or something like a length a, you'd have to account for that

Yay! Another person who speaks math! Sorta.

I remember a time when people made rpgmaker games for fun, and resources were shared

Of course, that was way before Kickstarter existed

lol

Of course, that's going on my list of when I get RPGmaker VXAce to work again...

No, it just says 'x'. There's no mention of it being the number of tiles. It specifically states the tiles are 1 square foot, didn't it?

Well, according to him:

apparently "X" was in there already. but it was just a space when i was posting so i didn't think it would come up. Anyway it is simple X number of tiles not Xx

It is just the number of tiles.