• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

TE I NEED YOU THIS IS A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH

I've come across the word ボク which sounds like "boku", but that doesn't make sense because

1) I'm pretty sure 僕 would be used instead, and

2) The speaker (or singer) is female

So I'm kind of stuck. And all the references to boxing wouldn't make sense because the whole thing is 「ボクのこの羽根 はためかせて」 and I don't think boxing has anything to do with wings

PLEASE ADVISE

EDIT: I guess it might be another person talking though. Something like "I flap my wings" but... URGH BEING NEW TO A LANGUAGE SUCKS

Edited by Lux Aeterna

TE I NEED YOU THIS IS A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH

I've come across the word ボク which sounds like "boku", but that doesn't make sense because

1) I'm pretty sure 僕 would be used instead, and

2) The speaker (or singer) is female

So I'm kind of stuck. And all the references to boxing wouldn't make sense because the whole thing is 「ボクのこの羽根 はためかせて」 and I don't think boxing has anything to do with wings[/size]

PLEASE ADVISE[/size]

EDIT: I guess it might be another person talking though. Something like "I flap my wings" but... URGH BEING NEW TO A LANGUAGE SUCKS[/size]

1. while unusual, there are girls (basically tomboys) who use boku

2. a girl can sing a song as if she were a dude too

3. let me flap my wings (probably not literally)

Edited by OldMan

1. while unusual, there are girls (basically tomboys) who use boku

2. a girl can sing a song as if she were a dude too

3. let me flap my wings (probably not literally)

The tomboy thing I did not know! But "boku" can be used in Katakana too? That's something else... But yeah, something earlier in the song implied she was female, I think. I do know that they can pretend to be opposite gender though (Tale of a Trillion Years and One Night comes to mind)

This is a difficult question to phrase, but is it causal imperative? Like... telling someone to let her flap her wings, or just... that her wings were let flap? I ask because I'm not sure how to determine the difference

Either way thank you! Japanese is pretty rough, especially with all this Kanji, but I've only studied for a week so far so I obviously don't know much

EDIT: HI EIN

Edited by Lux Aeterna

The tomboy thing I did not know! But "boku" can be used in Katakana too? That's something else... But yeah, something earlier in the song implied she was female, I think. I do know that they can pretend to be opposite gender though (Tale of a Trillion Years and One Night) comes to mind

This is a difficult question to phrase, but is it causal imperative? Like... telling someone to let her flap her wings, or just... that her wings were let flap? I ask because I'm not sure how to determine the difference

Either way thank you! Japanese is pretty rough, especially with all this Kanji, but I've only studied for a week so far so I obviously don't know much

EDIT: HI EIN

ore happens very often in katakana too

telling someone to let her flap her wings (or, depending on context, telling someone to make her flap her wings)

you should start studying an alien language from the basics

of course it's going to be overwhelming otherwise

ore happens very often in katakana too

telling someone to let her flap her wings (or, depending on context, telling someone to make her flap her wings)

you should start studying an alien language from the basics

of course it's going to be overwhelming otherwise

Are the other pronouns included, or do they stay true to their Hiragana roots?

Alright! "I'm coming to you, so let me flap my wings" probably makes the most sense if I'm to pair it together with the last sentence

Oh don't worry, I am! I'm doing it ground-up. I made sure to memorize both alphabets before I moved forward, then I started learning the grammar, along with a smattering of vocab. It's just, I'm trying to translate a song for a friend and some of the grammar is stuff I haven't come across yet. I only know the most basic things but that's obviously not enough to get me through

Are the other pronouns included, or do they stay true to their Hiragana roots?

Alright! "I'm coming to you, so let me flap my wings" probably makes the most sense if I'm to pair it together with the last sentence

Oh don't worry, I am! I'm doing it ground-up. I made sure to memorize both alphabets before I moved forward, then I started learning the grammar, along with a smattering of vocab. It's just, I'm trying to translate a song for a friend and some of the grammar is stuff I haven't come across yet. I only know the most basic things but that's obviously not enough to get me through

any word can be written in katakana if they feel like it

but since boku and ore are more informal, it's easier to see them like that than... watashi, for instance

you've studied for a week

i studied that verb form after three years

Japanese is fun.

meet your father, neal

any word can be written in katakana if they feel like it

but since boku and ore are more informal, it's easier to see them like that than... watashi, for instance

you've studied for a week

i studied that verb form after three years

I guess a good reason to do that is it's a lot faster than writing the Kanji...

Well, to be accurate, my highest emphasis is on the grammar rather than the words, and... I'm studying eight hours every weekday. It's still beyond me; I still have a while 'til I get to that point, but at least for the time being I've learned about 40 hours worth...

But it's said that it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something, so that doesn't even register as 1%

I guess a good reason to do that is it's a lot faster than writing the Kanji...

Well, to be accurate, my highest emphasis is on the grammar rather than the words, and... I'm studying eight hours every weekday. It's still beyond me; I still have a while 'til I get to that point, but at least for the time being I've learned about 40 hours worth...

But it's said that it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert at something, so that doesn't even register as 1%

indeed, boku's kanji is pretty complex compared to watashi's, for instance

japanese grammar is relatively simple (since it's really regular), but full of nuances and various ways of saying the same thing

how are you studying

japanese grammar is relatively simple (since it's really regular), but full of nuances and various ways of saying the same thing

how are you studying

I appreciate that it's more precise in some ways, though--that you can learn a lot more at once just by what version of "I" is used... But yeah the exceptions seem so random, like how いい changes to よ~ whenever it's conjugated in non-plain form...

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

It might not be ideal to just use a site. But it's comprehensive, it's free, and... It's working, to some extent

EDIT: And thank God it forced me to get out of the romaji mindset right away or this would have been a lot harder

Edited by Lux Aeterna

I appreciate that it's more precise in some ways, though--that you can learn a lot more at once just by what version of "I" is used... But yeah the exceptions seem so random, like how いい changes to よ~ whenever it's conjugated in non-plain form...

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar

It might not be ideal to just use a site. But it's comprehensive, it's free, and... It's working, to some extent

exceptions are rare, and even them follow a pattern

in ii's case, one could argue that ii itself is the exception (as yoi has the same meaning)

it's hard to absorb it without proper practice

you kinda have to remember everything, after all

Ah, this topic, reminds me when I took Japanese classes for 3 years. Don't remember much of those times but I remember I was struggling by the latter half of that time. Enough to frustrate me to stop. Oh well, though one of these days, perhaps I'll have the chance to retake learning the language again than just picking up little things here and there from random stuff.

exceptions are rare, and even them follow a pattern

in ii's case, one could argue that ii itself is the exception (as yoi has the same meaning)

it's hard to absorb it without proper practice

you kinda have to remember everything, after all

One does have to wonder why people made words to mean the exact same thing, but then again, Japanese isn't the only language that has synonyms...

I know, but I'm honestly not sure what to do otherwise. I guess I could play games in Japanese but then I'd have to draw out the radicals whenever I didn't understand some Kanji... I'd ideally want a free way to do it