Why does everyone hate on Pre-promoted characters?

I keep seeing people rag on characters in games because they begin as promoted characters...Why?

Yah, before someone says it, they may have worse chances to be useful endgame, but they can still be fairly useful.

Beating Sacred Stones on Medium, the Pally (Seth if I Remember correctly) was very useful still. In PoR (And RD, but they had a new class by then), Titiana was still useful. They may not END as the best character, but they can still kill units better than some other units.

Pre-Promotes are cool, they let me be lazy. Although shitty pre-promotes... you'll find plenty of them in the Japan-only Fire Emblems.

yeah same as FFoF. I don't mind them too much, it's just that there's not much strategy with them since they can rip through every enemy. I do use them to weaken enemies sometimes, but overall they are there if I'm feeling lazy and don't feel like raising units

pre-promotes like Shinon and Seth are actually decent, because they have the growth to play catch up

like changedbyvasm said, the japanese released and FE7 prepromotes have mediocere bases and horrible growth, which just doesn't cut it.

I admit they are useful in hard modes but they practically have no uses wahtsoever in normal modes imo

The only good pre-promotes:

Titania (PoR)

Haar (PoR)

Pent (FE7)

Innes (FE8)

I'm not sure how to define pre-promotes in RD, since most units come as 2nd tier units. Would they be considered mid-motes?

Depends on the version. The JAP version, third-tier was exclusive only to those with the necessary items to promote. In the other versions, every one can get to third-tier. This drastically effects the definition.

Oifaye was good :[

I'm pretty sure that what I'm going to say has already been mentioned within the previous 12 posts, but I'll just tell you anyways.

The main reason I don't like prepromoted characters is that they can easily take up valuable experience points of other weaker, yet ultimately more powerful characters. So, instead of relying on my strong prepromoted characters, I go ahead and train my weaker guys.

I don't really hate prepromoted characters, because they are usually essential to the game's plot, and they make good couples with other characters (like Seth and Eirika omg).

Just to be clear, NOT ALL PRE-PROMOTES ARE BAD! There are noble pre-promotes that are consider to be excellent for their standard regards. These are the following:

Good Pre-promotes:

Oifey (one of my favorite archetypes)

Fin

Pent

Harken

Jaffar

Percival (being the only one in his game)

Seth

Titania

Really bad ones are the Jeigan archetypes such as the following:

Jeigan (himself)

Cuan

Eyvel

Marcus (FE6)

Zealot

Marcus (FE7)

Orson

For the most part the math favors unpromotes. You have more level ups to give stat-ups, while not sure, have the possibility to beat out most pre-promotes. Excluding FE10 (where its obscenely easy to cap mid-tiers, between late level BEXP and Battle Saves before a level up) you'll generally not lose out on points capping stats before promotion.

Also you generally like unpromotes more as you have more time with them, Support Convos, and all around more attached. Early pre-promotes aren't generally useful and slow down leveling unless you're on Hard (where they are more a requirement).

Raising unpromoted characters is more fun than to use pre-promoted ones. In my playthroughs, I almost never use pre-promoted units, but in Radiant Dawn, I don't use those already on their third-tier classes.

Edited by BLS

Raising unpromoted characters is more fun than to use pre-promoted ones. In my playthroughs, I almost never use pre-promoted units, but in Radiant Dawn, I don't use those already on their third-tier classes.

^this... this is pretty much me right here

All the pre-promoted swordsman I've played are sweet. In general for me it depends on if I like the character's personality more than stats because then I'm more likely to use said character.