Canned Laughter

Lux Aeterna

Do they make the show better?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Well do they?

• Yes
    • Depends on the situation
    • No

Ok, I've heard comedy shows that use canned that makes sounds whenever the show does something funny, sad, romantic, etc.

I think when they use them depicts if it makes the moment better or not. For example, I was watching TV shows with my little sister, and saw two that used them. One used it well, the other less as well.

Drake and Josh: Good

Example: *Josh uses accidentally fire extinguisher on helicopter pilot. Pilot falls out of helipcopter.*

Drake: What'd you do man?!

Josh: *sad, crying face* I extinguished our pilot! *Canned laughter*

Family Matters: Well...

*Steve Urqual enters* *Obnoxious and loud cheer*

What do you think?

Edited by Lux Aeterna

Isn't it more commonly known as canned laughter?

Anyways, it depends on the situation. Also, I hate it when there's a female laugh that's really long and annoying. You might know what I'm talking about.

Edited by Miror B.

Isn't it more commonly known as canned laughter?

I never knew the appropriate title for it... How do I change topic title?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. :3

Edited by Lux Aeterna

It really depends on the situation if canned laughter if funny or not.. mostly the older shows and cartoons used canned laughter a lot and well its not really that funny. I haven't seen any other modern tv shows or cartoons with canned laughter.

Do you mean when a shows on and the audiance goes "Aww" or laughs? If that's it no. I HATE it when they do that.

It's explained in the first post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugh_track

I voted No. If anything, it probably works against some shows since if you're not laughing when it is depicted that should be, you may be inclined to think that the show's jokes are stupid and what good is watching a comedy you can't laugh to or a drama with poor acting?

Edited by Sirius

It's explained in the first post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laugh_track

I voted No. If anything, it probably works against some shows since if you're not laughing when it is depicted that should be, you may be inclined to think that the show's jokes are stupid and what good is watching a comedy you can't laugh to or a drama with poor acting?

But the laugh tracks ARE Scooby Doo!

Depends. If it is used sparingly and at really funny moments, I don't think it's bad at all. But I hate irritating shows that play the laughter every frickin' five seconds.

So it depends. I personally don't like it, but I can stand it when it is used well.

Two and a Half Men spams it, though it's well deserved.

I like it more when it's used for satyrical purposes.

Laughter makes me smile. Nostalgia thing, maybe. I think it's charming when it's not blatantly obnoxious. (in a bad way)

Family Matters had a live audience, so the audience reactions were actually... an audience, reacting.

Therefore, any reaction to Urkel was more just the result of a stupid audience than that of canned laughter.

Family Matters had a live audience, so the audience reactions were actually... an audience, reacting.

Therefore, any reaction to Urkel was more just the result of a stupid audience than that of canned laughter.

But, have you ever heard of Shrek? At the end of the movie, when Fiona and that stupid, prissy midgit are about to get married, there's a guy who holds up signs, telling them how to react. It may essentially be the same thing in Family Matters, resulting in "live canned laughter."

I watch shows with canned laughter but I'd rather they didn't have it as its pointless and annoying Take book of lifes' avatar I just think a canned laughter on that would detract from the humour

Supposedly, the purpose of canned laughter at its conception was to make viewers feel more comfortable while watching a picture box all alone at home.

The "laughter is good" post up there hits on something, too: laughter is a positive sound for people, and could go a way to increasing enjoyment. That's pure speculation.

Supposedly, the purpose of canned laughter at its conception was to make viewers feel more comfortable while watching a picture box all alone at home.

The "laughter is good" post up there hits on something, too: laughter is a positive sound for people, and could go a way to increasing enjoyment. That's pure speculation.

This theory is interesting for me, being in Japan now, because I've noticed while they don't generally have a laugh track for their shows, every time there is any sort of TV special or musical performance or similar broadcast, an integral part of the show is a small audience that is usually integrated into watching the show with you. It's the strangest thing in the world, they literally have you watch some people watching TV. Sometimes the camera pans out to look at them watching it, and when the performance or whatnot goes fullscreen, nearly always there's a little Picture-in-picture display in one of the corners showing peoples' reactions and facial expressions as they watch what you're watching, like they're showing you how to react. Hive mind seems pretty hip over here.

I, on the other hand, actually prefer watching most movies alone (or at least with people who know HOW TO SHUT THEIR FUCKING MOUTHS), and find the addition of a laugh track distracting and sometimes insulting, as if I can't tell for myself what is funny.

In terms of group-think, back in the election I couldn't stand watching the presidential debates on CNN (like I can stand watching CNN anyways), because they put a little graph at the bottom showing an instant readout of random people and how well they thought the candidates were doing at that exact moment. Let me think for myself, goddamnit.

Edited by California Mountain Snake

It really depends; I think a textbook example of this effect is seen in Monty Python's Flying Circus. Sometimes, the laughter (I think it's real studio audience laughter, actually...) is to rather good effect, but sometimes people laugh so hard in some of the sketches on that show that it becomes hard to hear what the Pythons are saying...