Corrective Eyeware

Lux Aeterna

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a reverse of what was done before, I think you should be banned from every forum EXCEPT serious discussion. It's the only place where your necroposting is funny or contributes at all to keeping the discussion alive with people shooting your dumb ass down. This is just pathetic.

Aaaagh!!! Too much reading!

Okay I read a bit, but I was afraid that if I read the whole thing I might forget what I was gonna say so...

Ok, so a few years ago, I got glasses. I never wore them, because I looked like the blond version of Harry Potter (without the scar) with them. Three days ago, I got contacts. Now here are some things I've noticed.

1. Whenever I put one on, I feel this intense burning pain for about half a minute that causes me to shut my eye tight, put my hand over it, double over in pain, cringe and go "aaaagggh...!" over and over again until the burning sensation mellows. My eye is red afterwards. What am I doing wrong here?

2. How is one able to not lose these? I already dropped one in the sink. <_< But luckily I have a spare, but I might not be able to keep them 'till next week (when my check up is. You know, one week, then three weeks, then three months, then the annual checkup?) How is one able to not lose these?

3. I noticed that, since I haven't worn contacts for a day, my vision has changed. I've been able to see things I normally couldn't, such as the clock which is about 20 feet away that I can now read. Annoyingly, this made me less near-sighted. Is that even supposed to happen?

4. My eyes are dry. Why? Not much more I have to add on this.

Oh, and let's not forget the absolute joy of putting them in for a grand total of 10 minutes each.

Thank you for listening to my whining story. Please answer my questions for each, and if you don't mind, give your experience of wearing protective eyeware, and how you dealt with it. Thanks. : D

1. It's possible that you have sensitive eyes and your solution could be a problem... I know my brother needs different solution cause his eyes are sensitive to it. As for my eyes... I don't think they get bugged by the solution I got.

2.You just have to be careful with these XD I know I've only dropped mine twice before and I've been using them for over a year. But... yeah the spare ones will help... Just means that you'll be buying more sooner =D

3. idk what this could be... Did you get contacts cause you had to see farther or closer? Maybe if they were for near-sighted eyes, they could've emphasized the distance? :mellow: I wouldn't know about this one cause my contacts help me see both distance and near-ness fine, so I don't have that experience.

4. I read someone else who said this. You are probably wearing them too long.

You're welcome for "listening" (reading would fit better wouldn't it XD ) to you whining story.

That'll be $40.

Hey!!! >=( Only Fireman charges!................ Well......... don't see him as much anymore so............

Edited by Freohr Datia

Ok, so a few years ago, I got glasses. I never wore them, because I looked like the blond version of Harry Potter (without the scar) with them. Three days ago, I got contacts. Now here are some things I've noticed.

1. Whenever I put one on, I feel this intense burning pain for about half a minute that causes me to shut my eye tight, put my hand over it, double over in pain, cringe and go "aaaagggh...!" over and over again until the burning sensation mellows. My eye is red afterwards. What am I doing wrong here?

That shouldn't happen. Be sure there's nothing on the contact when you put it on your eye; I buy some contact solution and fucking soak the thing in it before I put it in my eye. If a small fiber or something is on the contact it will burn, BADLY. The only other reason this may happen is if the contact has been sitting dry, not in solution for a while. It will then warp and cause you great pain when you put it in your eye.

2. How is one able to not lose these? I already dropped one in the sink. <_< But luckily I have a spare, but I might not be able to keep them 'till next week (when my check up is. You know, one week, then three weeks, then three months, then the annual checkup?) How is one able to not lose these?

Close the sink drain ALWAYS when you put them in. That's what I do.

3. I noticed that, since I haven't worn contacts for a day, my vision has changed. I've been able to see things I normally couldn't, such as the clock which is about 20 feet away that I can now read. Annoyingly, this made me less near-sighted. Is that even supposed to happen?

No, that shouldn't happen. That's wierd.

4. My eyes are dry. Why? Not much more I have to add on this.

Oh, and let's not forget the absolute joy of putting them in for a grand total of 10 minutes each.

Thank you for listening to my whining story. Please answer my questions for each, and if you don't mind, give your experience of wearing protective eyeware, and how you dealt with it. Thanks. : D

Your eyes will be dry if you wear them for too long when you're just beginning. Try not to wear them 12 hours. It's just too long. You can though, if you buy eyedrops, wear them for longer.

In a reverse of what was done before, I think you should be banned from every forum EXCEPT serious discussion. It's the only place where your necroposting is funny or contributes at all to keeping the discussion alive with people shooting your dumb ass down. This is just pathetic.

Next time, get help from Esau. This one doesn't quite cut it for me, sorry.

But to be entirely serious, my eye sight is just fine. I've just been fortunate enough to not have to get any kind of corrective eye wear. It's not like I haven't done more than enough to mess up my vision. I'm not complaining though :awesome:

I wear contacts. I'm not sure what my vision is exactly like, but I can go places without bumping into things without them, but I can't read anything 15 feet away from me. The contacts are soft lenses, so it usually is as if I'm not wearing contacts at all!

Gah... I've been wearing my new glasses for about a month and I still can't get over the frames I chose. I honestly prefer my old ones. Also been thinking of getting contacts but they may become too much of a hassle for me to even use. Also also... My dad wants me to get laser eye surgery... Uh yeah not too sure on that one to be honest again.

I'm slightly long sighted, so I have to wear glasses for certain things.

I think contant lenses are BAAAAAAD idea, and have always been happy with glasses.

The only help I can provide is, if you look like a nerd with glasses, get different glasses! They have all sorts of cool frame designs and Colours!

I think contant lenses are BAAAAAAD idea, and have always been happy with glasses.

I'm curious, why do you think contact lenses are "BAAAAAD idea"? I've had them for well over eighteen months now and have never experienced major difficulties with them.

I'm curious, why do you think contact lenses are "BAAAAAD idea"? I've had them for well over eighteen months now and have never experienced major difficulties with them.

A long time ago my friend from Virginia came down to Vegas to stay with me and my folks for about two weeks, and he had glasses and contacts. One day, he was in a rush and put that cleaning stuff on them but dropped the damn thing. When he picked it up, he wasn't sure which side was which. Long story short, he chose wrong. He was just standing there on fire trying to suck it up for about thirty seconds. That scared me away from contacts. Don't know what Crash's deal is, but that one's mine, among other things.

Edited by Phoenix

You're stuffing things into your eyes, what can go wrong? <_<

A long time ago my friend from Virginia came down to Vegas to stay with me and my folks for about two weeks, and he had glasses and contacts. One day, he was in a rush and put that cleaning stuff on them but dropped the damn thing. When he picked it up, he wasn't sure which side was which. Long story short, he chose wrong. He was just standing there on fire trying to suck it up for about thirty seconds. That scared me away from contacts. Don't know what Crash's deal is, but that one's mine, among other things.

Woah! :o What do you mean "on fire"? :blink:

Sorry, but if you forget which contact should go in which eye, then you must be trying to put both of them in simultaneously... otherwise I don't see a way to forget. For if you drop it, you'll still have an idea in which eye you should put it, and if you forgot, you look at in which eye your other contact should go... I dunno, but this seems more like a case of stupidity than a case of "oh no contacts".

I mean, it happens that you drop your contacts every once in a while, but it just seems very illogical to forget which eye it should go into.

You're stuffing things into your eyes, what can go wrong?

If you take them out every day and clean them when you don't wear them (by using proper solution), nothing can go wrong, really. You just need to get used to them is all.

I wear glasses, and have since I was eight years old. I wear them every waking moment of my day, unless I'm doing something like showering. My vision is something like 650 over 20, so I desperately need my glasses.

I tried contacts. Once. When I went to LensCrafters to get my eyes checked and get a new perscription a few years back, I figured I'd get checked out for contacts, so I did. I remember I was given a placebo set of contacts that weren't quite my prescription, but that I could wear in order to get used to it. I remember balking at contacts that were not only not my perscription, but also not even my astigmatism, but the woman just kept telling me "once you get contacts, it'll be great! You'll love it!"

It was a disaster. It took an hour for my glasses to be ready, and that whole time I had a headache that got worse and worse, which mainly started because it took me about ten minutes to put the damn things in; just constantly poking myself in the eye. I was extremely disoriented, and started getting snappy with just about everyone and anyone. I had to take them out after a half hour. When I went back, I explained this, and the clerk insisted I try again. Her... enthusiasm for contacts was extremely off-putting, so I told her that I had to wear the glasses to drive home (even though I didn't drive on this trip). I took the temps home, threw them out, and never tried them again, essentially wasting $100 on the exam.

I'm comfortable with my glasses. I do everything with the same pair of glasses, including contact sports, so naturally, I get the toughest frames and lenses I can get while still being semi-fashionable.

Edited by Superbus

I wear glasses, and have since I was eight years old. I wear them every waking moment of my day, unless I'm doing something like showering. My vision is something like 650 over 20, so I desperately need my glasses.

I tried contacts. Once. When I went to LensCrafters to get my eyes checked and get a new perscription a few years back, I figured I'd get checked out for contacts, so I did. I remember I was given a placebo set of contacts that weren't quite my prescription, but that I could wear in order to get used to it. I remember balking at contacts that were not only not my perscription, but also not even my astigmatism, but the woman just kept telling me "once you get contacts, it'll be great! You'll love it!"

It was a disaster. It took an hour for my glasses to be ready, and that whole time I had a headache that got worse and worse, which mainly started because it took me about ten minutes to put the damn things in; just constantly poking myself in the eye. I was extremely disoriented, and started getting snappy with just about everyone and anyone. I had to take them out after a half hour. When I went back, I explained this, and the clerk insisted I try again. Her... enthusiasm for contacts was extremely off-putting, so I told her that I had to wear the glasses to drive home (even though I didn't drive on this trip). I took the temps home, threw them out, and never tried them again, essentially wasting $100 on the exam.

I'm comfortable with my glasses. I do everything with the same pair of glasses, including contact sports, so naturally, I get the toughest frames and lenses I can get while still being semi-fashionable.

So getting contacts isn't a good idea? I've been thinking about getting them because I feel uncomfortable with glasses.

So getting contacts isn't a good idea? I've been thinking about getting them because I feel uncomfortable with glasses.

It depends, especially on your astigmatism. You should ask someone that has contacts - and isn't a damn freak about them, like the woman that told me "you have to keep going" with this stone-cold, serious look on her face, as if I was joining a cult - more than me. Get checked out for it - the exam's about $100 at LensCrafters if I remember right (this was back in '05), and give it a shot.

But personally, you have two choices: either contacts, or corrective surgery. If you're uncomfortable with glasses, have you been wearing them long? If not, you should be able to go in, get it done and get out. It's not like with me, where I'm blind as a bat and might not be 20/20 even after Lasik.

Are you saying the ones you were so uncomfortable in were the placebo lenses, or ones actually in your prescription? I can tell you if they were placebos and you have astigmatism, then that was only going to drive you up a wall. You definitely need custom made contacts, often hard rather than soft, to deal with that. If they were meant to fit, then sorry, don't know what to tell you. Some people just can't stand having them in their eyes. But by any account, I can tell you the lady you were dealing with was... special.

I personally love mine, Fearless, but I also don't have astigmatism and have only moderately bad myopia (near-sightedness), so I don't need strong lenses. But I find them comfortable and easy to wear all day (soft-lenses), and prefer them to my old glasses in just about every way possible.

Are you saying the ones you were so uncomfortable in were the placebo lenses, or ones actually in your prescription? I can tell you if they were placebos and you have astigmatism, then that was only going to drive you up a wall. You definitely need custom made contacts, often hard rather than soft, to deal with that. If they were meant to fit, then sorry, don't know what to tell you. Some people just can't stand having them in their eyes. But by any account, I can tell you the lady you were dealing with was... special.

I personally love mine, Fearless, but I also don't have astigmatism and have only moderately bad myopia (near-sightedness), so I don't need strong lenses. But I find them comfortable and easy to wear all day (soft-lenses), and prefer them to my old glasses in just about every way possible.

They were placebos, and I have a strong astigmatism, to the point where, in the earlier part of my life, I wasn't able to wear contacts; they didn't have the technology to develop around my eyes, especially with my prescription.

So really, I'm a candidate for Lasik, or sticking with the status quo, which has been glasses in all aspects of my life, even sports.

If you're not stupid, you know which one's supposed to go in which eye.

For example, I have a small lens box that's divided into two sides. One side has a white lid that's got nothing else on it, the other side is a green lid that has an "R" engraved in it. Hmm, I wonder which one's supposed to go in my right eye :awesome:

It's seriously not hard to remember. People think overly difficult of it.

One side has a white lid that's got nothing else on it, the other side is a green lid that has an "R" engraved in it. Hmm, I wonder which one's supposed to go in my right eye gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Same here. My problem is that I often have trouble determining if the contact is inside out. But I do find out by the time I put them on. XD

A good way to determine whether your contact is inside out is to place it on the tip of your finger and then carefully push the edges towards each other. If the tips of the edges connect fairly easily, it's all fine. If the edges curl around your finger, it's inside out.

There are other methods, such as looking at the shape of the contact; if it's oriented properly, the edges are round and it looks like a bowl, somewhat. If the edges are sharp, it's not good.