any tips for a first time driver?

Thunder Mage Ilyana

on my first behind the wheel i practiced at an empty parking lot and when i pushed on the gas pedal i only pushed it down about this much (|--|) and the car started to accelerate at about 20mph. anybody out there with any tips on steering, speed control, and curbs (i cant tell how far i am from hitting the curb to my right.)?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I really can say is always stay alert. Know always what's going on around you. Unless you're in a life or death rush, never do anything hasty. Last of all, understand how the car you drive functions.

It's feasible, though a bit weird maybe, that if he were in an area like mine, he could have just kicked the ass of the written rules/regulations test you take for your learner's permit. I practiced with parents in empty parking lots and shit, but for Maryland's provisional license, a learner's permit, you just have to do the driver's handbook legwork.

How fast you accelerate depends on both the car and whether you apply a constant pressure on the accelerator or ease forward on it. Really creep onto it if you're outright having trouble maintaining a speed below 20. You'll get it with practice unless you pilot a rocket.

Edited by Rehab

Also, for acceleration, when stopped, definitely never press down too far when there are cars in front of you. If it's something like a big truck, you might have to wait a bit for it to actually move.

like rehab said i live in a state similar to what he just said. i don't have to go to a driver's ed school if im over 16 years old. by the way i have to practice in my dad's volvo which is an SUV because it's the only car we have that's automatic. did you guys who've been driving for quite some time start off with a small car or a big car?

like rehab said i live in a state similar to what he just said. i don't have to go to a driver's ed school if im over 16 years old. by the way i have to practice in my dad's volvo which is an SUV because it's the only car we have that's automatic. did you guys who've been driving for quite some time start off with a small car or a big car?

Definitely small, it's easier to park with and usually maneuvers better. (depends on the car, of course)

always go at least 5 over the speed limit it is the law of the road unless your young(15-16) and you have your mom in the front seat, but still still speed or people will kill you

Always, always, ALWAYS keep aware of your surroundings. There are some serious dumbass drivers out there, (no I'm not one of them). Other than that just follow the rules and you'll be fine. Also, don't go too slow either because you can get a ticket for that

You're kidding, right? You didn't go to a driving school? What the hell are you doing behind the wheel?

I didn't take any classes and aside from my brother I'm the most responsible driver I know.

Also, mirrors are your friends.

Edited by Urist McButcherdwarf

always go at least 5 over the speed limit it is the law of the road unless your young(15-16) and you have your mom in the front seat, but still still speed or people will kill you

i disagree. you should be the typical asian driver for your first few months or maybe a year behind the wheel.

Use your mirrors (but also look physically). Obey the speed limit. ALWAYS use your turn signal. Change lanes slowly.

If you drink and drive, I hope you die in a fire.

This is a big OCD for many people. If you don't use it, you have a potential of receiving a middle finger.

i didn't go to a driver's school i just took the knowledge test.

Go to a driving school. Trust me. The savings on insurance alone will make it a worthwhile purchase.

Use your mirrors (but also look physically).

This is important. No doubt it's been hammered into you that there are certain angles where a car can be very close to you but be out of the mirror's vision. If there's heavy enough traffic for a car to possibly be there, always check behind you.

Being in the UK, your right side is our left side. Adjust your mirror more so that you see the curbs better, as well as still being able to tell whether there is a car behind you or not. Always keep at least a foot's distance from the curb, even when turning a corner. Use good judgment - meaning, in a right turn from a junction, turn when the curb begins to turn out. After you start to pull out at a junction, turn your wheel enough so that you follow the curb until you end up on the straight for the new road you've just pulled out to.

Bottom line of course is to just keep practicing, that's what driving lessons are for.

You'll also want to give an eye to the sides of the road, particularly in subdivisions or anywhere with housing/schools. Animals and children have a nasty way of popping up from nowhere.

Always try to keep at least a carlength in between you and the car in front of you, and even leave space when you stop. Speaking of stopping, make sure to check your rear view mirror to assure that the person behind you is stopping. Doing so has saved my father serious injury or death on two occasions.

Edited by Der Kommissar