If there were any walkthroughs you had liked...

Your favorite FE walkthrough (should there be any)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like the best?

• Nintendo Power (covers FEs 7, 8 & 9)
    • Prima
    • Guides from GameFAQS users

Like I said. I thought I'd make this since there's some talk going on about FE walkthroughs in topics. (Be them either "I love this guide" or "I hate this guide") You can vote in this topic on which ones are your favorites or don't vote at all. And please let me know if I'm missing any.

I pretty much like the Nintendo Power guides. I always found those the most accurate. And also, in the cases of FEs siete y ocho, there was a small list of recommended classes for each chapter, and sometimes a character should there be a recruitable character in the chapter in question that can only be recruited by the listed character.

Edited by Little Al

I'm still waiting for guides thatare basically just chapter data--it tells me what items are available, how to recruit people, what reinforcements to expect, etc.

My FE4 walkthrough over at grandbell.net is pretty much an example of what not to do, mixing the hard to figure out events (like reinforcements) into the body of the guide, while the easy to figure out stuff (conversations) are in nicely formatted tables. At least I put the secret events neatly into they're own paragraphs at the beginning of each section.

None of them are that great. I hate Prima guides. Nintendo guides are probably the best. I change my vote actually. I like the GameFAQs guides more.

GameFaqs, because 1) I'm live in the UK (so I can't get NP) and 2) Prima's guides suck, because they often leave some stuff out of the guide (For example, in their Pokemon FR/LG guide, the left out Sevii Islands 4,5 and 6, as well as Cerulean Cave).

I'm still waiting for guides thatare basically just chapter data--it tells me what items are available, how to recruit people, what reinforcements to expect, etc.

My FE4 walkthrough over at grandbell.net is pretty much an example of what not to do, mixing the hard to figure out events (like reinforcements) into the body of the guide, while the easy to figure out stuff (conversations) are in nicely formatted tables. At least I put the secret events neatly into they're own paragraphs at the beginning of each section.

That was you? Fuck, your walkthrough is awesome man. Good shit on that.

and 2) Prima's guides suck, because they often leave some stuff out of the guide (For example, in their Pokemon FR/LG guide, the left out Sevii Islands 4,5 and 6, as well as Cerulean Cave).

In Prima's FE11 guide you should have seen how they judged characters. Pure base stats and Weapon Levels.

In Mathis's recruitment box it says something like "Have Lena speak to an enemy Cavalier named Mathis to steal another character away from the enemy. MAthis is comfortable enough with the Lance to wield a Javalin."

All that matters is Range to the author.

This part was the worst though. In a tip box for who to sacrifice they say "You currently have three Cavaliers so it's probably best to sacrifice one of them. Cain's a good choice because Frey and Abel have a D in Lances and can wield a Javalin".

I haven't looked at any of these guides myself, but I've heard of such gems as Nintendo Power recommending you use a pure water against the boss of chapter 17E/18H in FE7. You'll recall that boss has luna equipped.

Yes. They do reccomend that. They say you should fight him with Hector equiped with a Silver Lance. I think they meant Marcus. Nintendo and especially Prima make awful guides. GameFAQ guides are at least decent because they were mad by players of the game who knows what they are doing.

I usually don't read those guides unless I feel like having a good laugh.

Anyway, the Prima guide for FE10 suggests that you use Astrid, Lyre, Oliver, Renning, Edward, Leonardo and Fiona. The fuck?

The FE10 Prima guide also says that you should give Illyana the Beast Foe Scroll so you'll have access to it in Part 3. It'll be on the wrong side. It also suggests that you use EVERYONE, except Fiona.

The gamefacts guildes are probably better since they might have more reliable information than Nintendo Power and Prima games... (I remember seeing a prima game guide for pokemon stadium and that guide sure suck cause it didnt tell you how to proceed and stuff just only a short information.)

I want a guide that tells me:

When and where reinforcements show up

What said reinforcements are

The stats and inventories of said reinforcments

What each village gives

Recruitment information

Hidden item locations

Gaiden requirements

Base stats and growth rates of characters

Calculations

Etc.

Basically, this site. The only problem is that certain games are missing some things.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually don't read those guides unless I feel like having a good laugh.

Anyway, the Prima guide for FE10 suggests that you use Astrid, Lyre, Oliver, Renning, Edward, Leonardo and Fiona. The fuck?

The IGN guide suggests you use SECOND TIER Rhys in endgame. The fuck?

Although some battles are long and extremely tough, sometimes it is better to restart a chapter after a character dies than forging ahead. However, it is truly up to the player to decide if a slain character is worth fighting through a long ordeal again or to just forge ahead in the wake of the character's passing.

Yes. Let's leave characters dead even though I can reset so that I can beat this chapter easily. On fucking Normal Mode.

Most bosses are very powerful, meaning that they need to be tackled with a very specific plan of attack, so letting them start the fight will often end in disaster, possibly even with the inadvertent death of a weaker character not intended to be involved the fight.

Ever heard of when a boss doesn't move and 2RKOs someone?

use Micaiah and Leonardo from afar to punish him for his charge, followed by finishing him with Edward to end the mission!

This is the Prolouge, BTW.

Yes. We could train up our poor level 1 character, but let's train someone who gets outshined by 3 more of his kind later! Great idea!

Make sure to use Micaiah to direct the allied units to a targeted spot that is safely away from the enemy.

Kurth is so frail, mirite?

Put Leonardo into the Ballista as possible, using it to punish the incoming enemy reinforcements, setting up easy kills for the rest of the troops.

I swear those ballistas only took ~ 1/3 of an enemy's hp away.

I'd show more, but I dun wanna get warned, so...

http://guides.ign.com/guides/826984/index.html

You want to read it, go on.