AP Courses

Phoenix Wright

What AP courses are you taking? Planning to take? Already passed?

I'm heading into AP European History for my sophomore year. I could have gotten into AP Chemistry, but my counselor put me in a Biology 2 class for my Freshman year (a slower moving, MUCH more boring Bio class), which means I can't make a huge 'jump' like that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my junior year, and I'm taking AP Government and AP Biology. Next year, I'll take AP Calculus BC (college calc 1 and 2) and AP Physics B (which uses calculus, unlike the calc-free AP Physics A).

I may take an AP English my senior year, but I haven't decided yet.

Took AP Gov year before last, could've done better towards the end. Parents make a huge deal out of AP classes so wouldn't let me take more than AP Psych and AP Econ this year, though I've manged to get a fairly interesting schedule this year regardless.

This year (my junior year) I took Calc AB and Physics C: Mechanics. Got a 5 in Calc and 3 in Mechanics. Those being the only two I've taken so far. This coming senior year, I'm doing AP Chemistry, Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism (both Physics Cs use calculus but the problems are pretty fucking hard), Calc C/Multivariate (we cover like all of B first year at my school, but the AP test covers BC obviously; Multivariate is like Calc 3 in college), and Stats.

What the fuck is the point of "Advanced Placement" if practically everyone (or everyone I ever meet online) takes it?

Also, I live in a part of Canada where there is no such thing. Ish.

It's usually the best there is in most high schools I know regardless of it being overhyped. My school example: Honors classes are even more mainstream than AP, and are basically just on-level classes with the more blatant idiots and don't-cares filtered out.

Of course there's also International Bacculaureate, but you have to get invited into that here. Now the shit those guys have to do is just downright unnecessary.

Euro history, physics B, US history, biology, calc BC, English lang, English comp, French lang, US government, chemistry, microeconomics...

:egostroke:

Pretty sure someone will drop in and 1-up me.

Edited by dondon151

What the fuck is the point of "Advanced Placement" if practically everyone (or everyone I ever meet online) takes it?

Also, I live in a part of Canada where there is no such thing. Ish.

It generally separates the average and the slightly above average

AP stats, good times good times. I had the worst grade(Low D or a high F) in the class yet out all my friends in the class I actually passed the AP test with a 3 while they got 2s. My friends had B's in the class too.

I'm going to be a Freshman in high school, so no AP courses yet, but I'm going to take a test at the end of August that *might* allow me to skip Algebra II (since I did it over the summer by myself) and jump up to Pre-Cal as a Freshman. Then, as a Sophomore, I have a shot at AP Calculus. :lol:

Oh, us Asians and our pushy-pushy-ness in math. ^_^

Edited by Ren

Oh, us Asians and our pushy-pushy-ness in math. ^_^

Random aside: One reason, which I can't cite, about why Asians tend to do better in math is that they tend to have more of a never-give-up attitude drummed in, while the attitude a lot of others tend to take to math is you're either great at it or it's definitely not your thing.

Random aside: One reason, which I can't cite, about why Asians tend to do better in math is that they tend to have more of a never-give-up attitude drummed in, while the attitude a lot of others tend to take to math is you're either great at it or it's definitely not your thing.

Well, my parents drilled equations and operations into my head along with a bunch of other crap when i was little. <_<

All I got was multiplication flash cards :newyears:

I felt like such a badass when I could answer them without looking through to the other side to see the nearly transparent answer written on the other side though

Edited by Rehab

Going into sophomore year, I'm taking...Pre-Calc, US Government, English Literature, and Chemistry.

When do you have Modern Civilizations as a class? Does your school have that class? We don't take US Government History until our Junior year at my school.

I took the test for US History but not the class, and took the classes/tests for Chemistry, English Lit, English Comp, US Government, and Physics.

That might be all or I might have forgotten some... It's been at least two years.

In Australia you're allowed to take unit 1/2 subjects a year early. So, instead of doing History 1/2 in Year 11 and subsequently units 3/4 in Year 12, you can do 1/2 in Year 10 and 3/4 in Year 11. This is advantageous as it allows you to focus on fewer subjects in a longer span of time. I assume AP is similar, but who I am to say? I call for an explanation.

Wait, what does Advanced Placement do? Do they just assume you'll learn faster and hand out less bullshit homework assignments? Do the classes move along faster?
Depends on the class. AP Calc AB is pretty BS as a whole since there's not much material, but something like AP World History is free of bullshit and you have SHITLOADS of work to do. Physics C assumes you learn really fast though, and there's like no bullshit there. It's basically a college course, and after the class you take a test which can determine if you can get college credit, and the AP tests themselves are not that hard although some can be hell (so anyone who took the physics c: mechanics test in 2009 knows what I mean -_-). if you get anywhere from a 3-5 (out of 5) you pass.

Depends on the class. AP Calc AB is pretty BS as a whole since there's not much material, but something like AP World History is free of bullshit and you have SHITLOADS of work to do. Physics C assumes you learn really fast though, and there's like no bullshit there. It's basically a college course, and after the class you take a test which can determine if you can get college credit, and the AP tests themselves are not that hard although some can be hell (so anyone who took the physics c: mechanics test in 2009 knows what I mean -_- ). if you get anywhere from a 3-5 (out of 5) you pass.

What I mean is like, in normal High School courses, you will be assigned X amount of work, and expected to complete it, as the majority of the class may need to do that work in order to learn the concept. I was wondering if, in AP courses, they assumed you where clever enough to understand the subject properly, and thus assigned less work. Logic tells me yes, but I'm not sure.

If anything, they assign you more work so that the student understands better. Generally teachers (at least in my school) get pay bonuses for how well their students do on the AP test...

I've felt that for the most part, AP classes move rather quickly. In AP science classes we would probably spend no more than a week on most units, though before the AP exams we would probably spend a month simply doing review material. AP English classes also tend to go through more material to build a broader base for the student as well as issuing more timed writing assignments (because those are pretty important for the AP test...). Classes like government and economics though are incredibly slow because there's not a lot to learn =/