One Piece

Aitherion

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone asked Oda in an SBS what countries would the nine strawhats come from if they were in the real world and he came up with this list:

Luffy: Brazil

Zoro: Japan

Nami: Sweden

Usopp: Africa

Sanji: France

Chopper: Canada

Robin: Russia

Franky: USA

Brook: Austria

I can understand most of them (Lulz at Chopper) But what's up with Luffy,Nami and Robin? :huh:

I guess I could kind of see Robin being Swedish, based on her hair and the generic idea of Swedish women, and maybe Robin's seiyuu speaks with a Russian accent. What I want to know is Brook. WTF Austria?

and maybe Robin's seiyuu speaks with a Russian accent.

And...no one noticed it before? :unsure:

What I want to know is Brook. WTF Austria?

You know because Austria was never one of the greatest centers of classical music in history and was never the birthplace of such composers as Mozart. :angry:

and maybe Robin's seiyuu speaks with a Russian accent.

And...no one noticed it before? :unsure:

I don't think that no one noticed before, but rather that it was never noted to a wide range of English speakers. Those that don't speak it natively wouldn't notice it, at least.

Of course, that's speculating that she does have that kind of accent. On the other hand, her imagery, after thinking about it, does remind me of the generic idea of a Russian woman; a noble nose and darker hair.

You know because Austria was never one of the greatest centers of classical music in history and was never the birthplace of such composers as Mozart. :angry:

I didn't notice that until now, but that still doesn't really make a lot of sense; there were other places that served as hubs for music. Hell, Bach and Beethoven were both born in Germany.

I didn't notice that until now, but that still doesn't really make a lot of sense; there were other places that served as hubs for music. Hell, Bach and Beethoven were both born in Germany.

Germany isn't much different from Austria tbh.

I don't think that no one noticed before, but rather that it was never noted to a wide range of English speakers. Those that don't speak it natively wouldn't notice it, at least.

The fandom is huge and I doubt that none of them speak Japanese.

On the other hand, her imagery, after thinking about it, does remind me of the generic idea of a Russian woman; a noble nose and darker hair.

:blink:

Germany isn't much different from Austria tbh.

It is different, either way.

The fandom is huge and I doubt that none of them speak Japanese.

I didn't say they didn't. I'm saying that were that true, those that speak it natively and noticed it hadn't noted it to everyone else.

Hell, look at how Mr. 2 is still referred to and known to most of the fandom as Bon Clay, when that's apparently incorrect.

:blink:

wat

Edited by Esau of Isaac

wat

Since when did Russians have dark skin and dark hair?

It is different, either way.

Well Austria was known as a very artistical nation. Far more than Germany even though it also had composers.

AND OH HAY MOZART :awesome:

Hell, look at how Mr. 2 is still referred to and known to most of the fandom as Bon Clay, when that's apparently incorrect.

Yes, but there ARE people who get his name right but nowhere in the fandom have I ever seen even one hint of Nico Robin ever speaking in a Russian accent. (whatever that is)

Since when did Russians have dark skin and dark hair?

They haven't had dark skin. But dark hair was always something that was impressed upon me when I thought of some Russian woman. It's the same as when imagining a generic Swedish woman thinking of a buxom red-haired woman.

Yes, but there ARE people who get his name right but nowhere in the fandom have I ever seen even one hint of Nico Robin ever speaking in a Russian accent. (whatever that is)

And there are assumedly people that would note she speaks in a Russian accent. I have never once through my entire reading of the series found a distributor that consistently names him Bon Kure. Not one.

So what are everyone eles's opinions on that faggot who's been putting his watermarks everywhere?

Who?

Nevermind. I see that his scantelations have been replaced by those of someone who is far less vain.

EDIT: Lol Coby.

Edited by General Spoon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That was like 430 or something. I remember cause it was the exact chapter I caught up to the series on.

Current arc is fun and all, but I just want it to be over. I don't think Oda suddenly forcing us to care about Ace was done very well.

That was like 430 or something. I remember cause it was the exact chapter I caught up to the series on.

Current arc is fun and all, but I just want it to be over. I don't think Oda suddenly forcing us to care about Ace was done very well.

You were supposed to start caring about Ace around a hundred chapters ago, after him and Blackbeard met up...

Meh, I could care less for Ace.

What I'm more concerned about is how he's an important character who's death wasn't in a flashback. And then of course another one of those happens a few chapters later.

I dunno, I could totally see him bullshitting us again by making them get up.

You were supposed to start caring about Ace around a hundred chapters ago, after him and Blackbeard met up...

We were supposed to care about a character we know next to nothing about? No, as soon as Luffy found out he decided to let someone else take care of it. I'm thinking Oda's bosses made him change that, and create an Impel Down arc. He's usually not this bad with pacing.

We were supposed to care about a character we know next to nothing about?

Yes. We were supposed to care because Luffy cared. His further characterization came about as time went on. This has happened with multiple characters in the series, at several points. We barely knew Marguerite, Aphelandra, and Sweet Pea, and yet when they were endangered we were supposed to care about them. Oda actually does this more than most other authors I can think of, I don't see why this is a different case.

No, as soon as Luffy found out he decided to let someone else take care of it.

And then changed his mind.

I'm thinking Oda's bosses made him change that, and create an Impel Down arc. He's usually not this bad with pacing.

The pacing's fine.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Yes. We were supposed to care because Luffy cared. His further characterization came about as time went on. This has happened with multiple characters in the series, at several points. We barely knew Marguerite, Aphelandra, and Sweet Pea, and yet when they were endangered we were supposed to care about them. Oda actually does this more than most other authors I can think of, I don't see why this is a different case.

to be honest I don't remember any of those but the first. None of them had huge epic arcs where we got info dumps of information. Oda JUST did this with Robin and Enies Lobby, we didn't need another rescue arc so soon.

And then changed his mind.

And that's bad writing.

The pacing's fine.

Mini Oars "died" in the same exact chapter he was introduced, and we were expected to care.

to be honest I don't remember any of those but the first. None of them had huge epic arcs where we got info dumps of information. Oda JUST did this with Robin and Enies Lobby, we didn't need another rescue arc so soon.

You're proving my point, here. The three characters were the women turned to stone by Hancock and almost destroyed as a message during his battle against Sandersonia and Marigold. And no, he did not just do this with Robin. That ended almost a hundred and fifty chapters ago. It was followed by smaller arcs that included Thriller Bark, the important chapters involving Sabaody, and the area devoted to Luffy after his battle with Kuma involving Amazon Lily.

And that's bad writing.

It's bad writing for a character to change their minds? What?

Mini Oars "died" in the same exact chapter he was introduced, and we were expected to care.

Which means the entire arc has bad pacing...

You're proving my point, here. The three characters were the women turned to stone by Hancock and almost destroyed as a message during his battle against Sandersonia and Marigold.

Oh, so you're agreeing with me. I didn't mean the current arc is the only time he's done this.

And no, he did not just do this with Robin. That ended almost a hundred and fifty chapters ago. It was followed by smaller arcs that included Thriller Bark, the important chapters involving Sabaody, and the area devoted to Luffy after his battle with Kuma involving Amazon Lily.

It was the last huge arc. You know, Alabasta, Skypeia, Enies Lobby.

It's bad writing for a character to change their minds? What?

"Your brother is in danger"

"Someone else can help him"

"Your brother is in danger"

"OH NO I GOTTA GO HELP HIM"

hmm...

Which means the entire arc has bad pacing...

AND NOW FOR THE EPIC SHOWDOWN: LUFFY VS MIHAWK. THIS DIFFICULT WALL IS SURE TO STOP LUFFY RIGHT IN HIS TRAbwahahahahahhaha no I'm just fucking with you, he runs right past