Mainstream or Underground Music?

Split from this thread:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15910

I found most mainstream music, especially today's mainstream, to be just bad (simply done, sucky/lame lyrics, etc). Especially due to my rather late interest in underground music.

But I want to see others' thoughts.

I prefer listening to mainstream music that is pre-2000 (mainly Golden Oldies) rather than today's mainstream music, as today's music seems to be composed of mainly reality TV stars and rap artists (you can probably tell that I'm not a big rap fan).

I have no idea what Underground Music is, though.

I'm not sure exactly where the line is between mainstream and underground, but I just went to Progressive Nation 09, and was extremely impressed with a fairly unknown band called Bigelf. They're like a mix of Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, and the Beatles, except the lead singer plays an organ. They're definitely different.

I don't really care if it's mainstream or not, if it sounds good then I'll listen to it =| Most of the bands I listen to are kind of well known though (Creed, Three Days Grace, Story of the Year, Fuel, etc.) so I guess I'm more towards mainstream. I don't go listen to radio very often though.

Edited by Black Ice

I personally believe that in every genre of music, there are talented artists, and terrible artists. The way I judge music is not by how well-known it is, but how much talent (in my opinion) the artist has. That's why I'll listen to anything from Protest the Hero to Black Eyed Peas.

I tend to like different music then everyone else. My favorite types are symphonic rock and metal, Such as Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Symphony X respectively, as well as Japanese bands ALI PROJECT, FictionJunction YUUKA, and Yousei Teikoku. Then I also like Muse, Death Cab for Cutie, and Coldplay because they all have a uniqueness to them that I can't quite place. If I want to listen to something a little harder, but not Symphonic, I listen to Rise Against. That basically covers all my bases. I honestly don't give a shit how popular a band is, or if it's a major label, however, I find that the more mainstream bands have better quality sound, nevermind the lyrics.

I tend to like different music then everyone else. My favorite types are symphonic rock and metal, Such as Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Symphony X respectively,

Russel Allen is one of the greatest vocalists ever. I'm shocked to have met a fellow Symphony X fan.

I'm not onto much of the underground scene, I might be hearing to one of them without knowing.

If it's good, I'll hear it.

I have so many types of songs on my iPod I don't even know anymore. For me, if I like a song it goes on my iPod. That's it

I have so many types of songs on my iPod I don't even know anymore. For me, if I like a song it goes on my iPod. That's it

I know some people who put ANY song in their iPod. even if they don't like it simply to fill in the empty space. :/

I tend to like different music then everyone else. My favorite types are symphonic rock and metal, Such as Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Symphony X respectively,

Russel Allen is one of the greatest vocalists ever. I'm shocked to have met a fellow Symphony X fan.

I stumbled upon Symphony X in a Best Buy. The band name sounded like the genre might be something I liked, so I gave it a listen. It was awesome.

I don't give a crap how popular a band is. If they suck, screw them.

This basically. I tend to listen to lesser known stuff but i really dont care if its mainstream or not. If a band sucks, they suck! End of story.

• 3 weeks later...

The main reason I hate underground music is because online, I see far more praise (and they go to the extent where people say "go listen to REAL shit" somewhat often) for the underground shit than the mainstream shit and in real life, nobody around me really cares about music. I'll listen to it if it's good, though.

Edited by Lord Raven