Trend related to FE heroines

VincentASM

Something kind of random. I was reading a fan article on Falcom's website where they noted how every single Ys heroine has their name end with the letter A. Sure enough, thinking it through, they were correct on very count.

Later, for no real reason, I wondered if the same principle applied to the heroines of Fire Emblem. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it does hold true quite well.

FE1: Sheeda

FE2: Cellica

FE3: Sheeda

FE4: Diadora, Yuria

FE5: Nanna

FE6: Lilina

FE7: (See later)

FE8: Eirika

FE9: Elincia

FE10: Micaiah (romaji: Mikaya)

FE11: Sheeda/Shiida/Caeda

The odd one out is FE7, where neither Lyn or Ninian's name end with A. There are a few ways around this though - one, the real heroine is actually Florina(!) or, two, if you count Lyn's original name Alicia.

So yeah, completely useless, but I thought it was interesting all the same. I take it female names ending with A are a favourite amongst Japanese people? : o

I think it's just common for female names to end in A period.

For example FE7:

Isadora, Florina, Fiora, Farina, Vaida, Karla, Serra, Priscilla

FE8:

Vanessa, Tana, Natasha, Marisa, Amelia

FE9

Titania, Ilyana, Marcia, Mia, Lucia

So yeah, the Japanese seem to like their female names ending in a.

Actually, it's common for female names to end in A in western cultures. And since FE (and other games) use western names... well.

As a side note, Japanese female names often end in o (-ko).

FE9

Don't forget that all but one of those characters originally had a different name. Titania was Tiamat, Ilyana was Elaice, Mia was Wayu, and Lucia was Luchino.

Edited by Musashi

I almost forgot that and I was just playing FE8 in Japanese a while ago...

Well, there's always Tana and there's a possibility that Eirika was originally her intended name (since her internal name is Eirikr).

Edited by VincentASM

Most traditional Western female names end in either the letter "a" itself or the "ah" sound. Translation teams in most games, when changing names usually add that A if not present in the original name, as noted in an earlier post. Most female heroines in other games share this characteristic (Maria, Refia, Rosa, Lenna, Terra, Tifa, Rinoa, Sarah, Yuna...)

Well the names in the Western localizations are changed to be more Western sounding, so it is more of a US thing I suppose.

Hmm, the Japanese names look odd after knowing the English names for so long. Titania's a five headed dragon and Lucia's an Italian restaraunt?

FE9

Don't forget that all but one of those characters originally had a different name. Titania was Tiamat, Ilyana was Elaice, Mia was Wayu, and Lucia was Luchino.

Shit, Titania's name should have been left as Tiamat. Dragon>One of Uranus's moons

Shit, Titania's name should have been left as Tiamat. Dragon>One of Uranus's moons

The name was most likely taken from a character in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. >_> That's much better than being named after some nasty old dragon goddess who is ultimately killed.

Yeah, a lot of girl names end with a. Is it just me or is it harder to come up with girl names than it is guy names?

*goes through the endings on the names she's made up*

Male: oc, ok, an, en, in

Female: ai, al, ni, ie

The name was most likely taken from a character in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. >_> That's much better than being named after some nasty old dragon goddess who is ultimately killed.

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that the name Titania was already used in Sacred Stones as the name of Vanessa's mount.