Next-gen DS in the works

General Spoon

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony doesn't need to come up with anything; it's a bigger company and it's worth more than Nintendo. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time (followed by the PS1) and they're still riding that wave.

The PSPGo is slightly retarded, imo. You NEED the internet if you want to do anything with that.

Most people my age hate Nintendo. I think it's just small children and casual gamers who get their stuff. Which, obviously, is the reason why they appeal to them more often than us.

In my opinion, Intelligent Systems should start to be published by Sony. I can think of some ideas that those two can do for Fire Emblem and such.

Sony doesn't need to come up with anything; it's a bigger company and it's worth more than Nintendo. The PS2 is the best selling console of all time (followed by the PS1) and they're still riding that wave.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/05/npd.ars

EDIT: Oh, and look at the write-up date. May '08.

That, and the Wii outsold the PS3 in Japan by a 3/1 margin.

Edited by OliverXRenning

Wait what, didn't the DS pass the PS2 in sales like half a year ago?

No. The DS has more sold in Japan, where PS2 did worst out of all the regions. The PS2 currently has 150 million consoles sold worldwide. The PS1 has 103 million and the DS has 101 million. DS should pass PS1 this year unless it drops in popularity randomly.

Great. Now the DS prints money too.

Hasn't it been doing that for the past couple of years?

Not as much as the Wii.

It is a false belief that business is about making money. It is really about making customers. Money doesn’t fall from the sky, it comes from customers.

The famous Nintendo gifs of the DS and Wii of it saying: “It prints money!” should be redone for them to say: “It creates customers!” That is the central reason why they were successful.

From the article in my sig, you know, the one with the gamer from 1994:

”Every era has their myths and the PlayStation popularizing gaming is the biggest whopper myth of them all. For all the talk about ‘demographics’, no one seems interested in discussing ‘population growth’, ‘population decline’, or any of the things demographic discussion is about. There is no mention of multiple console ownership. There is no cynical review over the numbers console companies, such as Sony, reports to verify with the independent sales reports.”

The PS2 is the best-selling console numbers-wise, yes, but that's because the world's population was still steadily growing and there were still a lot of children that could be introduced to video games.

But if you compare the numbers to the overall population numbers back when these consoles were out, the NES is the clear winner. Every 3rd person had an NES back in the day for Pete's sake!

Most people my age hate Nintendo. I think it's just small children and casual gamers who get their stuff. Which, obviously, is the reason why they appeal to them more often than us.

Small children is what kept Nintendo afloat during the N64 and Gamecube era, but now that the elderly will make up most of the world's population in just a few decades Nintendo will need to look for them instead. And they're pulling that off beautifully as all the articles of Wiis in retirement homes can confirm.

Also how nice of you to use "casual gamer" as a substitution for "retard".

In my opinion, Intelligent Systems should start to be published by Sony. I can think of some ideas that those two can do for Fire Emblem and such.

Yes, it's called Tirnanog.

As for the topic at hand: Yes, there is already a successor to the current console in the works at the very moment said console comes out. The question though is when will it really be released. Remember that the NES and original Gameboy took about 9 years until they were finally discontinued and the DS and Wii are repeating the above consoles' success in pretty much every way.

Edited by Ike-Mike

To be honest I just hope it's just a rumor because I'd have to agree with one of the posters from that link in that it's too soon to release another handheld.

Its been five years since the DS came out, the GBA was only out for about three years before the DS. In a couple of weeks the DSi will have been out for a year, in Japan. How is it too soon?

The PS2 is the best-selling console numbers-wise, yes, but that's because the world's population was still steadily growing and there were still a lot of children that could be introduced to video games.

But if you compare the numbers to the overall population numbers back when these consoles were out, the NES is the clear winner. Every 3rd person had an NES back in the day for Pete's sake!

Consoles this gen should be showing the same numbers if it was just because of the population. The PS2 was most popular amongst the 18-25 crowd, just like the PS1 and PS3. Not to mention you had absolutely no choice when the NES came out; they had no competition for three years. The PS2 had GameCube,Xbox and Dreamcast. If you combined all of them, they don't even get close to 50% of the market share. The PS2 killed the DC, on top of that. Don't get me started on all the problems the PS2 had to give it a rocky start too: manufacturing delays, the highest failure rate a mainstream console had had at that time (8%) and a poor launch line up.

The PS2's domination is much more impressive than the NES', when the PS2 actually had a competitor. The NES launched with Super Mario Bros. with no competition because console gaming was dead. It took Sega three years to release their console and Nintendo had already dominated that generation at that point.

The PS2's domination is much more impressive than the NES', when the PS2 actually had a competitor. The NES launched with Super Mario Bros. with no competition because console gaming was dead. It took Sega three years to release their console and Nintendo had already dominated that generation at that point.

The NES' competitors were the home computers.

The NES' launch was pretty damn impressive because it had to show that game consoles weren't a fad that was destined to die and that gaming wasn't destined to solely go to PCs which were already much more advanced than the NES when it came out.

Edited by Ike-Mike

The NES still had no console competition. If you wanted a console, you got the NES. You didn't have a choice. Whether or not people had to pick between PC gaming and console gaming was only relevant when the NES launched. The PS2 launched with much tougher competition and many more problems than the NES. It was also much more expensive than the Dreamcast and had no online support.

Before the PS1, can you honestly say gaming was mainstream? Sony made gaming mainstream with the PS1 and PS2. I remember being poked fun at as a kid for owning an SNES because it was "nerdy". Then the PS1 was released in NA a while later and all of those people had one.

The NES still had no console competition. If you wanted a console, you got the NES. You didn't have a choice.

True if you were living in the US back then. But not in Europe, as the Master System had a good stronghold there. Granted, the NES still won there, but, at least in France, it was not rare to see Master Systems in supermarkets, and being well sold at that.

To be honest I just hope it's just a rumor because I'd have to agree with one of the posters from that link in that it's too soon to release another handheld.

Its been five years since the DS came out, the GBA was only out for about three years before the DS. In a couple of weeks the DSi will have been out for a year, in Japan. How is it too soon?

Okay fine, it's too soon since I finally bought the DS. I don't want another handheld coming out as soon as I buy one, but yeah I know, that's my problem.

The NES still had no console competition. If you wanted a console, you got the NES. You didn't have a choice.

You're completely missing the point.

I'm saying that validating a market that was thought dead and hated, no, even despised (Test players hated the NES, but Minoru Arakawa decided to plow through anyway) is a bigger and more impressive feat than competing against a few other consoles in a relatively healthy market.

Before the PS1, can you honestly say gaming was mainstream?

Yes, I can.

29vyplx.jpg

While people might wax nostalgic about their childhood times on the NES, there is nothing quite like the Golden Era of the Arcades. While, today, the game industry talks about ‘multiplayer gaming’, ‘community gaming’, ’social gaming’, ‘innovation’, ‘new control schemes’, blah blah blah, all of it was done in the arcades. NES Era gamers might have had a taste of this with the Street Fighter 2 revival, but even then that was nothing compared to those times. Girls never played SF2, or mothers, or families. And while some try to call for ‘mature gaming’, there was nothing like playing games in smoke filled alcohol-saturated bars. Can you think of a time where a young man can play video games AND pick up girls AT THE SAME TIME? Of course not. This perhaps explains Nolan Bushnell’s uWink adventure for he remembers if it was possible once, it can be possible again.

The place where Pong was put out and where it caught on tremendously was a bar, a place not really associated with children.

Nintendo decided to go the same route as Atari when it comes to expanding the gaming populace but when the Sega Genesis rolled around they decided to put that on a halt and compete with over the gamers that were already there until then.

From my personal experience, everyone in my family was once playing the same video games as me. We'd continuously argue over who'd get the Game Boy next. It wasn't until about when Pokémon came out that video games just became needlessly complex that they stopped.

Edited by Ike-Mike