Next-gen DS in the works

General Spoon

Wii Boxing IS fun...

Damn it, I've just become the world's worst hypocrite.

Also, I'm aware such players would play SF3/Guilty Gear/whatever shooter is popular these days.

But I find those players who think they're "good."

Sure, Noob Tube, martyrdom, Juggernaut, AND RPG's take skill.

Sure, spamming Shoryuken until your enemy dies from chip damage takes skill.

Sure, saying you rape with Meta Knight (Which is redundant BTW) takes skill.

THOSE people just piss me off, thinking they've been with this entertainment for their entire lives.

I DID NOT WASTE MY CHILDHOOD AS A SOCIAL OUTCAST JUST TO BE SEEN AS A SHEEP FOLLOWING A TREND IN MY TEEN YEARS.

Why can't the retard nation that is 2011/12 just go back to their fantasy football, Twilight, True Blood, Twatter, etc.

EDIT

Oh, and for the record, Okami is the best Wii game I've ever played.

Edited by OliverXRenning

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:newyears:

It's also saying it is one of the best PS2 games ever made.

Next to Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil 4, and God of War 2.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is not on there because I no longer respect the fact we are going to get Marvel characters in our KH3.

Edited by OliverXRenning

:newyears:

Kingdom Hearts 2 is not on there because I no longer respect the fact we are going to get Marvel characters in our KH3.

Only an idiot would even think of including KH2 in this list.

Only someone even stupider would disclude God Hand from the top of the list.

Wii Boxing IS fun...

Damn it, I've just become the world's worst hypocrite.

Also, I'm aware such players would play SF3/Guilty Gear/whatever shooter is popular these days.

But I find those players who think they're "good."

Sure, Noob Tube, martyrdom, Juggernaut, AND RPG's take skill.

Sure, spamming Shoryuken until your enemy dies from chip damage takes skill.

Sure, saying you rape with Meta Knight (Which is redundant BTW) takes skill.

THOSE people just piss me off, thinking they've been with this entertainment for their entire lives.

I DID NOT WASTE MY CHILDHOOD AS A SOCIAL OUTCAST JUST TO BE SEEN AS A SHEEP FOLLOWING A TREND IN MY TEEN YEARS.

Why can't the retard nation that is 2011/12 just go back to their fantasy football, Twilight, True Blood, Twatter, etc.

EDIT

Randomly spacing

paragraphs.

Who the fuck cares if they play games or not? It's a fucking business, not some magical place where designers spend their entire life making games only we can enjoy.

Even if it's a business the companies were looking for new customers and ways to keep them playing their games instead of ways to exploit the customers who will get their games for sure to the very last cent back in the day.

Edited by Ike-Mike

Even if it's a business the companies were looking for new customers and ways to keep them playing their games instead of ways to exploit the customers who will get their games for sure to the very last cent back in the day.

What? Can you word that differently please?

Just because a so called "hardcore" gamer wouldn't be assed to play a game he thinks is for "retarded casuals" (I'm just talking in general here, not Daigo specifically, I do not know his feelings on this) doesn't mean a person who plays games like wii boxing wouldn't play, for example, Street Fighter 3 (or the far superior SF3, Shining Force 3).

Also wii boxing is fun bro. I could totally get behind playing that seriously.

Wow dude, I never got to play Shining Force 3 :( U r cool.

Never owned a saturn, later parts didn't make it here, etc etc.

God of War 2 does not deserve to belong here. The DMC series (1 at the very least) is a much better action game, the selection of enemies and bosses is absolutely superb, to the point where 4 ended up copying many of 1's enemies. GoW is prettier, has better story, etc but in the one thing where it really aims to achieve, it is at least second-best. Don't know how GoW compares to ninja gaiden tho.

I liked Ico more than SotC. Ico really made me feel what Ueda was trying to get across to me in the gameplay itself, besides Wander's unwieldy but earnest way of fighting I didn't get as much out of PLAYING SotC. But w/e, I don't really care between one and the other all that much.

Hmm, GoW is worse than DMC1?

Too bad i was talking about GoW2. (Fuck, it's hard to discern whether its God of War or Gears of War. Oh well, one is better than the other.)

God of War 2 expanded on much of God of War 1's problems, and made everything 9001% more badass. Sure, DMC has some good times...

But DMC4 and 2 aren't good, DMC3 is okay, and DMC1 is good.

GoW2 just freaking delivered.

And Ico was fun. But I didn't really enjoy it as much as an epic game on boss-run mode. Where the smallest Colossus is the size of car.

What? Can you word that differently please?

I think he was trying to say that they're continuing to make games that appeal to casual players since that is helping their business rather than just to hardcore fans.

Edited by 21_21

No, I'm trying to say that most companies nowadays try to make a profit by robbing the hardcore fans off their last penny by making overpriced DLC and fighting against used games and trying to push Digital Distribution instead of making a profit by making customers by, y'know, just making good games.

Edited by Ike-Mike

Valve is one of the few companies left that put customers over everything else.

So my point still stands.

See, the problem here, and the reason I tend to disagree with Malstrom a lot is that I simply don't SEE a collapse in gaming. All around me I see more, better games. There are constantly new games that I enjoy, and there are usually games that are fairly original! I really don't see the game industry going down, it's really only going up. In addition, in a very real sense, the gaming industry CANNOT die. This is because games don't actually need much raw material to create, they aren't money or resource intensive. They just take time and effort, and there are always people doing that. If you just look at the breadth of free games around today you can see that. Hell, look at Experimental Gameplay! The idea that gaming is dying is just absurd. Gaming isn't like most industries, it can easily evolve, and your average Joe can create a game at home. It's a form of entertainment too, so it's much more difficult to become obsolete.

See, the problem here, and the reason I tend to disagree with Malstrom a lot is that I simply don't SEE a collapse in gaming. All around me I see more, better games. There are constantly new games that I enjoy, and there are usually games that are fairly original! I really don't see the game industry going down, it's really only going up. In addition, in a very real sense, the gaming industry CANNOT die. This is because games don't actually need much raw material to create, they aren't money or resource intensive. They just take time and effort, and there are always people doing that. If you just look at the breadth of free games around today you can see that. Hell, look at Experimental Gameplay! The idea that gaming is dying is just absurd. Gaming isn't like most industries, it can easily evolve, and your average Joe can create a game at home. It's a form of entertainment too, so it's much more difficult to become obsolete.

i 95 percent agree with you.

On a side note I think an average Joe can actually create a good game. All they need is a little knowledge of advanced c++ and if they're lucky they could create a game similar to super mario bros. At least, that's what I think is the case.

See, the problem here, and the reason I tend to disagree with Malstrom a lot is that I simply don't SEE a collapse in gaming.

It's amazing how one can believe themselves to be in paradise, despite all of the indications to the contrary.

and there are usually games that are fairly original!

Originality is cool and all, but if it doesn't strike a familiar chord with the players, it doesn't mean anything.

There is a reason why we depict aliens to look like squicky humans or animals despite logic saying that if they're alien they should look completely different entirely. Star Wars didn't become a success because of the sci-fi setting but more because it was a story of a young man becoming stronger in order to save the world, one of the most familiar and universal concepts in the entire world, IN SPACE.

That is pretty much the biggest problem most core games on the Wii have. Madworld failed because no one can relate something so off-the-wall. Deadly Creatures failed because more people feel icked by snakes and scorpions rather than related to them.

People don't want something off-the-wall, the want lots of content that they can relate to.

Hell, look at Experimental Gameplay!

That's the other big problem of today's games; too much focus on gameplay. Content is what makes the game, not the gameplay. Why else are Super Mario, Contra, Mega Man, Metroid, Kirby and Castlevania loved equally as much despite them all being the same action-sidescroller with a slightly different gimmick in each game? Why else are MMORPGs so popular despite the gameplay basically just being level grinding? If Tetris is pure gameplay then how come everyone can relate the Gameboy themes to it?

and your average Joe can create a game at home.

Except the average Joe spends his time on message boards talking about 'business models' instead of trying to make a good game nowadays.

It's a form of entertainment too, so it's much more difficult to become obsolete.

It didn't stop the film and music industry to be in serious financial trouble right now.

PC gaming isn't dead. MMORPGs alone ensure this.

But it sure is a lot less lively than it was in the 90s.

Just wait a bit. Before you know it, SCII will be knocking on your door and demanding you play it.

Call me when they decide to bring LAN and replays back and that despite my biggest fears you won't have to pay for anything on BNet 2.0.

All they need is a little knowledge of advanced c++ and if they're lucky they could create a game that surpasses super mario bros.

Fixed.

Edited by Ike-Mike

On a side note I think an average Joe can actually create a good game. All they need is a little knowledge of advanced c++ and if they're lucky they could create a game similar to super mario bros. At least, that's what I think is the case.
Very few indie games compare to well designed NES games. There are many indie developers that don't have much of a concept of level design, so they replace it with gimmicky concepts to try and hide generic platforming.

See, the problem here, and the reason I tend to disagree with Malstrom a lot is that I simply don't SEE a collapse in gaming.

It's amazing how one can believe themselves to be in paradise, despite all of the indications to the contrary.

But see, that never really tells me WHY gaming is dying.

and there are usually games that are fairly original!

Originality is cool and all, but if it doesn't strike a familiar chord with the players, it doesn't mean anything.

There is a reason why we depict aliens to look like squicky humans or animals despite logic saying that if they're alien they should look completely different entirely. Star Wars didn't become a success because of the sci-fi setting but more because it was a story of a young man becoming stronger in order to save the world, one of the most familiar and universal concepts in the entire world, IN SPACE.

That is pretty much the biggest problem most core games on the Wii have. Madworld failed because no one can relate something so off-the-wall. Deadly Creatures failed because more people feel icked by snakes and scorpions rather than related to them.

People don't want something off-the-wall, the want lots of content that they can relate to.

And did I ever say anything about it not striking a familiar chord? In addition, a lot of people DO like things that don't strike a familiar chord. Lots of people did by MadWorld.

Also, your Star Wars example is bad. The Hero With a Thousand Faces story is the way it is, but its not what makes Star Wars the way it is. As you said, it's the fact that it's in space. I know damned well that I like Star Wars because of the universe created around it, not the core story. I like Star Wars for Stormtroopers and blasters and Correlian Corvettes and the force, and R2 D2, and spice smuggling, not the Hero With a Thousand Faces story.

There are also things that are popular that WERE original. There certainly have been GOOD things that were original.

But regardless, I repeat that I NEVER SAID that it had to be completely original with no common chord. Nowhere did I even imply that.

Hell, look at Experimental Gameplay!

That's the other big problem of today's games; too much focus on gameplay. Content is what makes the game, not the gameplay. Why else are Super Mario, Contra, Mega Man, Metroid, Kirby and Castlevania loved equally as much despite them all being the same action-sidescroller with a slightly different gimmick in each game? Why else are MMORPGs so popular despite the gameplay basically just being level grinding? If Tetris is pure gameplay then how come everyone can relate the Gameboy themes to it?

Several things here. The first is that Gameplay is a very important part of a game. Without gameplay, it is not a game, it is something else. You use your examples, but there are plenty of examples of the opposite, games with similar content, but not gameplay.

Either way, I again NEVER SAID that gameplay was more important than content, or anything about content at all.

Hell, if you FOLLOWED the link, and actually read about it, those people even TALK about content.

and your average Joe can create a game at home.

Except the average Joe spends his time on message boards talking about 'business models' instead of trying to make a good game nowadays.

As evidenced by the fact that there are absolutely no games available anywhere that weren't made by a large company, right? RIGHT?

It's a form of entertainment too, so it's much more difficult to become obsolete.

It didn't stop the film and music industry to be in serious financial trouble right now.

But they're not dead. They're not even dying. I don't think serious financial trouble even describes it. In addition, an industry is more than just the current players.

PC gaming isn't dead. MMORPGs alone ensure this.

But it sure is a lot less lively than it was in the 90s.

Back in the 90s PC games only existed on PC. Now you can get some of them on console. Now, I'd say that PC is still superior for most of them, and practically unarguably superior for some (such as RTS).

All they need is a little knowledge of advanced c++ and if they're lucky they could create a game that surpasses super mario bros.

Fixed.

I have confidence that if I had motivation, I could create a game that surpasses Super Mario Bros.

But really, you haven't actually addressed what I said, just took very small parts of it, in one case a single word, pretty much out of context, and said stuff about it.

You're putting words in my mouth in a lot of cases.

And it seems as though you're TELLING me what's fun and what's not. Fun is rather subjective.

Edited by Fia