Advance Wars > Fire Emblem

Relinquished

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think it's better? (justify your answer)

I tried Advance Wars once because it was from IS too, but I was really disappointed.

I missed the invdividual characters and classes you had in FE, in AW it's just "the more the messier". It's no fun seeing tanks and planes fighting each other...

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Fire Emblem > AW

As a Strategy game, I think Advance Wars better. But the RPG elements and the story is what makes me like Fire Emblem more.

Plus, in Fire Emblem, playable characters and some non-generic bosses usually have their own character so you actually feel something when you fight them. But in AW, it's just faceless vehicles/planes/ships/MECHS firing at each other.

Edited by LightBrand99

AW's metagame is defined by infantry and arties.

I like both ground and sea artillery. It's the best. I still use Grit a lot when playing AW:DS, and Gage in AW:DoR.

You misunderstood me. I really did mean infantry and artillery. Those two units make up the backbone of the metagame. Other cheap units (mechs, tanks, etc) are also seen in the metagame.

Crap. Really? What a bummer...

Needs more Rocket talk here.

FE though.

I can build 2 and a half Artillery for 1 Rocket. The "extra" range doesn't even really help because if you infantry wall, it's actually MORE inconvenient to target something due to the Rocket's lower minimum range.

I can build 2 and a half Artillery for 1 Rocket. The "extra" range doesn't even really help because if you infantry wall, it's actually MORE inconvenient to target something due to the Rocket's lower minimum range.

Hm, I didn't play like that. Mainly because I played by myself in DoR. Sure, Artillery are more efficient than Rockets, but you gotta love the sound of 6-8 rockets firing. Also, during the time I played DoR I picked up a ranged defensive style of playing.

FE > Advance wars because it involves a tad more strategy than just throwing a good unit into battle multiple times. You can throw Haar into a group of thunder mages, if you wish, but don't expect him to come back alive.

FE > Advance wars because it involves a tad more strategy than just throwing a good unit into battle multiple times. You can throw Haar into a group of thunder mages, if you wish, but don't expect him to come back alive.

Although this is true to most of the games, it's reversed in the 2nd Gen of FE4, though.

But, doing that with Haar looks pretty absurd to me, because you need to have in mind the bonus damage thing. That would mean that YOU are the one who is speeding up his death, not the game (because YOU decided to make such a reckless move)

There are units superior to others, but it's up to you to handle the units with care. Logically, you won't use infantry against neotanks. You need to build stuff that adapts to the situation, isn't it?

But, doing that with Haar looks pretty absurd to me, because you need to have in mind the bonus damage thing. That would mean that YOU are the one who is speeding up his death, not the game (because YOU decided to make such a reckless move)

There are units superior to others, but it's up to you to handle the units with care. Logically, you won't use infantry against neotanks. You need to build stuff that adapts to the situation, isn't it?

You wouldn't have infantry attack Neotanks. However, you could have infantry shield your artillery that shell the Neotank into submission.

AW has near 100% accurate turn-by-turn walkthroughs. Doesn't sound that strategic to me.

I actually attempted to follow one of those turn-by-turn walkthroughs to see how accurate they were. Generally, the first few turns will go right, but after a while, especially on larger maps that take longer to complete, or maps that allow the enemy to build up forces quickly, take many, many resets to actually get the result described in the walkthrough.

Though I still think Fire Emblem is better, Advance Wars seems to require more strategy than Fire Emblem. Get a blessed unit or two, maybe three in Fire Emblem and watch them destroy everything in their path. There isn't that big a luck factor in Advance Wars.

Rivals on AC is crazy.

I frequently use Haar to kill thunder mages. I can't think of many times when there are more than 2 around, and canto lets you take care of avoiding the second counter okey. He doesn't one-round a lot on HM but mages are one thing he does.

You wouldn't have infantry attack Neotanks. However, you could have infantry shield your artillery that shell the Neotank into submission.

And since you can build 2 artillery and 10 infantry, or 3 and 4 infantry, for one neotank...

DoR isn't as much of a step up in the balance department as people like to make it sound.

Out of the 12 COs in the game, half of them are either Over or underpowered. Ever since Isabella was soft-banned from competitive play it's gotten even worse.

I don't know about multiplayer but the single-player was a travesty of difficulty (like dual strike), they throw a ridiculous CO like caulder at you and the final mission still isn't hard.

Edited by SeverIan

That's the problem, though. You can't spam a good unit like Haar, but you CAN spam a good unit like Mechs.

I frequently use Haar to kill thunder mages. I can't think of many times when there are more than 2 around, and canto lets you take care of avoiding the second counter okey. He doesn't one-round a lot on HM but mages are one thing he does.

That was merely hypothetical, I was merely stating that there are enemies which can severely damage Haar, meaning you can't spam him. Heck, for an efficient clear, Haar's lack of ORKO'ing makes it hard to solo with him.

That was merely hypothetical, I was merely stating that there are enemies which can severely damage Haar, meaning you can't spam him. Heck, for an efficient clear, Haar's lack of ORKO'ing makes it hard to solo with him.

Hehe, shortly after saying there weren't many times a lot of thunder mages are around, I played 3-E in which there are 4 thunder mages grouped together.

Helb. I bid mah tongh becauth I thaid thomethin rongh. Ith bleedin an ith hurth.

fire emblem

it has more story in it, and I think that's one of the most important things in a game.

also, with fire emblem you get to know your units and will think twice before sending them of doing too hard things,

in advanced wars you can just send everyone of for suicide missions and "build" new units.

fire emblem

it has more story in it, and I think that's one of the most important things in a game.

also, with fire emblem you get to know your units and will think twice before sending them of doing too hard things,

in advanced wars you can just send everyone of for suicide missions and "build" new units.

Yay, someone who actually understands me when it comes to story.

have you ever played a game just for it a few times once the game got rather hard (AW:DS springs to mind) I forced myself to finish each mission just so I could see what happened next.

not all games need it though.

have you ever played a game just for it a few times once the game got rather hard (AW:DS springs to mind) I forced myself to finish each mission just so I could see what happened next.

not all games need it though.

yes, I know.

first time I played FE I had that, I wasn't that strategic at that time. It's the story that made me play further, and magicly made me addicted to FE :P

Fire Emblem also has very deep character development, something that Advance Wars definitely lacks. You don't care about anybody in ADW whereas in some FE games, you actually feel really bad when killing a big boss. That feeling is totally absent in Advance Wars.

Fire Emblem also has very deep character development

...News to me?

you actually feel really bad when killing a big boss

Uh...well, maybe you do, but I really don't feel anything when I nuke a pixelated baddy. Let alone bad.

Yeah, there's also that thing about fighting a boss you love to hate. Even bosses for just one level kinda develop personalities of their own (C'mon, you KNOW you want to kill that bitch Gheb slowly and painfully), and I felt regret killing generic soldier near Amelia in that same chapter. I tried to avoid him, but then he tried to take on Forde one on one. Poor guy.