First attempt at a (vaguely) speed run

Parrhesia

Well, my data got wiped just as I was starting a HHM run, and I want to get back to that level as quickly as possible. So I'm going to rush through Eliwood NM as quickly as I can. So far I've gotten to an okay start, and am up to 7x (I've decided the levellups will be worth it...well, I did 5 minutes ago. Now I'm not so sure.)

It's gone well so far. Most of my characters have fine stats at this point.

L5 Lyn

HP 25 (used angelic robe)

Str 5

Skl 10

Spd 11

Lck 7, Def and Res 2

Kent L5 and Sain L6

HP 22 (both)

Str 8, 9

Skl 6, 5

Spd 10 (both)

Lck 3, 4

Def 6, 7

Res 2, 1

Florina, somehow L6

HP: 21

Str 8

Skl 10

Spd 12

Lck 10

Def 5, Res 6

Erk is doin' fine, level 4

Serra is level 1. Rath's level 7.

Wil's level 3 and still rubbish.

Matthew hasn't been in a fight yet.

Nils is Nils. And Lucius is 3.86, planning to get him to at least level 7 by the end of this.

Plans: Use Priscilla and Raven, Lowen, Sain and Kent. Maybe Bartre if his speed is salvagable.

Ditch Wil, probably ditch Matthew for Legault. Depending on how Dorcas does I may drop him, we'll see.

Lucius, Canas, Erk, Pent will cover all magical bases and Rath and Rebecca and Louise will be my archers (Wil's at 5 Speed, can't double anything except Soldiers and Shamen, absolutely rubbish).

Other than that and building up supports for once (and getting Geitz, or whatever his name is) I don't really have many plans. I'll be keeping up a log, and feeding Eliwood most of my statboosters, as he was a beast in my first full playthrough (in my first playthrough, I couldn't go through the chapter with Durbans because Eli was just so meh.)

If anyone has their thoughts, I'll try and incorporate them. A Kent/Sain support will be something I'll try for. Oh and there are a couple of story things. I don't want Natalie to be grieving for her reckless but devoted husband, and it really touched me to see Hector talk about burying Leila next to Matthew. No, I'd rather Matthew merely live in grief and mourn for years rather than die. And Dorcas can't die either. Any suggestions for a beginner at amateur speedruns?

Sorry, I don't really have suggestions since I never tried speedrunning FE. However, I have doubts of whether your Lords will be able to reach a combined level of 50 during a speed run. Hector probably will but it's Eliwood and Lyn I'm worried about. If you get to do it, then bye bye Geitz.

Also, do you plan to recruit every single character (except guys like Wallace who are route dependent)? Are you planning on doing every single sidequest? I would think that skipping all the sidequests would help speed it up but I'm not sure if this is just a simple speedrun or a complete speedrun.

Well, I'll try and turn them all as high as possible...all I can do is try, and I've never gotten Geitz before.

Ignoring sidequests, but accidentally hit Yes for 7x so that'll be the exception.

Low turncount is my aim.

Any suggested characters beyond those I've mentioned?

Yeah, that was the OTHER sidequest I just realised. Thanks for helping me remember that I would lose TWO of my favourite characters from skipping that chapter.

Did a couple more missions, 7x and 8. 7x was easy, although I rushed through the start and accidentally picked Wil to go in, and not Lucius. Oh well. Anyway, Sain, Kent and Lyn smashed through the left path, almost killing the thief and letting Matthew grab the hammer. Everyone else took the right, although resistance was weak. Sain was on dangerously low health at one point, but fortunately Kent's turned out comparably. Anyway, Florina and Rath took care of the mercenaries as Lyndis critted the boss.

8 was a touch harder, as I got screwed over by hit rates. I had to restart when Lucius was 2-shot by a ballista and mercenary, while standing in a forest :P. My second attempt, Dorcas made a meal of handaxing the mage and shaman to death, but got the Lancereaver in time. Everyone swarmed down, with Erk and Lucius one-rounding the cavaliers easily, and I used Kent and Sain to block at the bridge. I inexplicably decided to equip Sain's Armourslayer one round before I could get to Yogi, and he was attacked by 2 Soldiers, a Lancereaver Merc and a Swordreaver Brigand. All but the Swordreaver hit :facepalm: , but he survived with eight hit points. The mages with help from Nils took out three enemies, as Dorcas narrowly avoided dying to a brigand, then I let Lucius two-round Yogi because he needed the XP most.

THOUGHTS

Wil has gained no speed in two levels, and speed is what he needs. I ditched him.

Dorcas is astonishingly mediocre.

Sain is starting to get in front of Kent by a few levels, but I plan on using both.

Florina's working well, Rath's working well...

My magi rule, and can one round most things.

Lyn's falling behind, at level six.

Any comments? I'll keep up the log.

EDIT: Finished 9 and 10. In both chapters I just charged forwards, as the RNG goddess screwed me over again against boss hit rates. I was lucky enough though to get Lyn to crit against Lundgren before he would probably have killed her, and she missed her first strike. Time to start Eliwood's campaign, where I will use the tactics vaguely shown in Oliver's link; e.g., Marcus does everything important until he can be phased out.

Edited by Furetchen

I'd say try to use Marcus and Oswin as much as possible until the prepromotes start rolling in. Sain, Kent, Oswin, Marcus ans Isadora should be able to handle stuff. Also, you can skip Canas, he isn't exactly necessary in ENM.

Marcus? That goes against all of my instincts, but makes a lot of sense...same with Isadora. I remember them having good bases, at least, and Hand Axe Marcus was to my memory very useful til I ditched him. Yeah, I think I'll have to use Marcus.

I'd thought to get Osw1n to 16-ish by defending Merlinus until promoting him so he can (kinda) keep up...will that work, at all?

Sain and Kent are around level 7-8, and Sain was relatively RNG-blessed...I'm planning to get Lowen to that level as well.

UNITS I'M NOT SURE IF I SHOULD BOTHER RAISING: Rebecca, Bartre, Lowen, Guy. Thoughts? Rebecca can't double yet and 3-rounds at best, Bartre can't double and in fact GETS doubled with a Steel Axe. Lowen starts okay, but needs time to mature. I've never even tried Guy...but all of these turn into good units. Are any of these worth raising?

Marcus? That goes against all of my instincts, but makes a lot of sense...same with Isadora. I remember them having good bases, at least, and Hand Axe Marcus was to my memory very useful til I ditched him. Yeah, I think I'll have to use Marcus.

I'd thought to get Osw1n to 16-ish by defending Merlinus until promoting him so he can (kinda) keep up...will that work, at all?

Sain and Kent are around level 7-8, and Sain was relatively RNG-blessed...I'm planning to get Lowen to that level as well.

UNITS I'M NOT SURE IF I SHOULD BOTHER RAISING: Rebecca, Bartre, Lowen, Guy. Thoughts? Rebecca can't double yet and 3-rounds at best, Bartre can't double and in fact GETS doubled with a Steel Axe. Lowen starts okay, but needs time to mature. I've never even tried Guy...but all of these turn into good units. Are any of these worth raising?

Ditch all the units you're thinking of. Just keep using Marcus, Oswin and H4xtor. Once you get Isadora back, you're good to go. IMO you should use the cavs just to rescue drop :/

Aright, I'm glad to be rid of the burden of raising Bartre and Rebecca...I'll keep Lowen around for a while and see if he's RNG-blessed. I'll have an update later today.