Hacking Ideas

Bryan

Wouldn't whispers be ten times better if we just switched bane with lethality?

Hardly. Don't forget Lethality is pretty bad itself. (skill/2)% and if it's on whispers then they don't get the advantage of any innate crit boost to offset their lower mastery proc rate. Besides, Bane still kills anything if it activates on the first hit. You face a counter, but oh well. And if they are killing something, they don't activate Bane anyway so that's not an issue. The only thing is that if they don't do enough damage to KO on the second attack naturally, their mastery will never let them kill something on the second attack. This isn't really a huge problem, though, considering you typically aren't short of characters on player phase to kill something, and even Mist should be able to KO everything that a Whisper banes. So lethality is only really better in two scenarios:

a: you somehow care that they face an extra counter on the rare occasion that they would actually pull off their mastery on the first attack (the 19% of the time it actually activates and lethality would have spared the unit of a counter). As if you can't just heal if they run near death.

b: you care that they leave something for a different unit to kill on the rare occasions they actually even activate Bane on the second hit.

Keep in mind, for b, this only actually matters if you don't have an extra unit available for the kill. It's not like this extra unit faces any damage as a result of your Whisper having Bane instead of something that can KO.

I don't deny that Lethality would be better for them than Bane, but suggesting they'd be 10x better when they'd only be marginally better? Please.

Ok I exaggerated that a bit but still they would be at least slightly better. Also I have had times when bane activated when it would have killed them. I don't have clips to show but it's a true story...after all I was there.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also,if you can,please make Florete use mag and hit res.Please.

And make the second florete come free in a base convo,not cost 9000 gold >_<

I think it would be fair if it cost something like 4000 g. W/ the 2 range and its current stats it'd be worth a lot more than that to most units, but since it's locked to mist I think that's a fair price to pay.

Ok I exaggerated that a bit but still they would be at least slightly better. Also I have had times when bane activated when it would have killed them. I don't have clips to show but it's a true story...after all I was there.

I know someone claimed in the "worst skills" topic that bane won't activate if a normal attack will kill. Video proof would help a lot since we've already had people claim similar things, but I don't think we have any proof of it.

Edited by SeverIan

I think it would be fair if it cost something like 4000 g. W/ the 2 range and its current stats it'd be worth a lot more than that to most units, but since it's locked to mist I think that's a fair price to pay.

I know someone claimed in the "worst skills" topic that bane won't activate if a normal attack will kill. Video proof would help a lot since we've already had people claim similar things, but I don't think we have any proof of it.

Well I know that it has activated on me like that before. I remember it actually activated a few times when the enemy had 1hp left before bane.

Well I know that it has activated on me like that before. I remember it actually activated a few times when the enemy had 1hp left before bane.

Every single playthrough (3) I've promoted Heather and I even took her to endgame in EM. I've used Sothe somewhat offensively in 4-E in each playthrough as well. I've never seen it, ever. That's basically why we need video proof. Lots of us haven't seen it ever.

Also, are you sure you didn't just look at the enemy's hp after Bane took effect? If you've seen it with 1hp, maybe bane updates enemy hp earlier than you think? All I can tell you is that I've had Sothe and Heather attack plenty while being Whispers and it hasn't happened. If I knew precisely how many attacks I've had them do while the enemy would have died from a normal attack then I could pull out statistics and tell you the probability of it never activating on me but still have the possibility of it activating.

With 30 skill, there is a 15% chance of Bane, so I'd have an 85% chance of it not screwing me over. With just 10 trials, there is only a ~20% chance that I'd never get Bane. With 40 trials, I can already be 99.8% sure that Bane won't activate if the enemy would die. I may not have hit 40 tries quite yet, though.

Just saying, it doesn't take all that long to check out if other people want to and have access to the game with a save at an appropriate time. Set up around 50 times where Sothe or Heather will KO the enemy on their second attack and see what happens. Make sure they have 0% crit, of course. Remember what their bio is, then if they never activate Bane multiply the probability that each attack doesn't Bane. If the product is less than .01, then there is a greater than 99% chance that Bane can't activate on an attack that would otherwise KO. That means it is extremely unlikely.

Every single playthrough (3) I've promoted Heather and I even took her to endgame in EM. I've used Sothe somewhat offensively in 4-E in each playthrough as well. I've never seen it, ever. That's basically why we need video proof. Lots of us haven't seen it ever.

Also, are you sure you didn't just look at the enemy's hp after Bane took effect? If you've seen it with 1hp, maybe bane updates enemy hp earlier than you think? All I can tell you is that I've had Sothe and Heather attack plenty while being Whispers and it hasn't happened. If I knew precisely how many attacks I've had them do while the enemy would have died from a normal attack then I could pull out statistics and tell you the probability of it never activating on me but still have the possibility of it activating.

With 30 skill, there is a 15% chance of Bane, so I'd have an 85% chance of it not screwing me over. With just 10 trials, there is only a ~20% chance that I'd never get Bane. With 40 trials, I can already be 99.8% sure that Bane won't activate if the enemy would die. I may not have hit 40 tries quite yet, though.

Just saying, it doesn't take all that long to check out if other people want to and have access to the game with a save at an appropriate time. Set up around 50 times where Sothe or Heather will KO the enemy on their second attack and see what happens. Make sure they have 0% crit, of course. Remember what their bio is, then if they never activate Bane multiply the probability that each attack doesn't Bane. If the product is less than .01, then there is a greater than 99% chance that Bane can't activate on an attack that would otherwise KO. That means it is extremely unlikely.

I don't think I've seen it in my 9 playthroughs either.

I don't think I've seen it in my 9 playthroughs either.

Maybe I just got really unlucky.

Maybe I just got really unlucky.

No, it would be us that got extremely lucky. I told you, avoiding this problem just 40 times with a 15% chance of bane-ing is virtually impossible. I'd have only a 0.2% chance (or a little less, actually) of coming through 40 times without bane-ing. If you end up using Bane on 3 times out of 20 potential killing blows on average then you would be the one that is having "proper" or "normal" luck. We are the ones getting insanely lucky.

btw, 80 times is less than a 0.0004% chance of coming through without a Bane if Bane can activate on a killing blow. Unless this is something else that they altered when they fixed the transfer EM file glitch, I don't think Bane can screw over a kill. Plus, then RFoF (who uses a non-fixed disc) would probably have seen Sothe Bane on a potential killing blow. At least, considering it sounds like she uses Sothe in part 4 a lot more aggressively than the rest of us.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Plus, then RFoF (who uses a non-fixed disc) would probably have seen Sothe Bane on a potential killing blow. At least, considering it sounds like she uses Sothe in part 4 a lot more aggressively than the rest of us.

That I do. I almost always cap his level in NM and I keep him with the team in HM. I've not once seen Bane activate on a killing blow, and neither has my brother (who uses Sothe as much as I do). In fact, I was talking on GFaqs once with someone who was convinced it was possible to the point he told me actually set up a camera and a battle save to test it and show it off. In the end it never happened and he admitted he was wrong (iirc, he tried almost 100 times).