FE10: Radiant Dawn Hacking Notes

VincentASM

On 7/10/2020 at 12:15 PM, Crime and Punishment said:

A few years ago, a user by the name of Xeld made a rom hack for the GBA games (FE7 & 8, I think) that allowed characters to level up based on their stat averages. It was pretty interesting, and I was wondering if something like that is possible for FE10. It'd be fun to play with.

This GBA rom hack was called "Tony Mode".

Might be, but most people working on RD are busy with other projects, and this is not an easy thing to make. 

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally.png.83d801ebc0bc64eca37f74d7d8bdbbb2.png

Well, turns out it's true that you need to disable the force deployment both on the script and the dispos files. The script file is indeed in 0407a, but the dispos file is in emap0407d. No wonder it took quite a while to find it.

Edited by Person mystery

I have ran into an issue. I am trying to change the experience gained by units and I believe I am at the right part in the Hex Editing process. I'm in main.dol (I can't find start.dol) and have found the 33240 Hex address but I'm not sure what to change to get a desired result. I have tried to change the values but have gotten stuck with the game crashing on launch so any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of tinkering I managed to remove Volug's forced Wildheart from Part 1. I thought I'd put the notes here for posterity.

There are SID_FIXEDBEAST, SID_FIXEDHALFBEAST, SID_HALFBEAST, and SID_HALFBEAST_DUMMY. The first one is Formshift  the skill that causes Feral Ones to permanently transform (Formshift is SID_KING, both of which are not really relevant here) and the third one is the actual Wildheart we all know and love probably never use intentionally. The fourth one is the locked Wildheart skill, which actually does nothing. The forced shifting is actually done by the second skill (which is invisible on the skill list).

The bmap106 gives Volug the second and fourth skill (NOT FE10data). C307.cmb script file removes those two skills and added the third one. Thus, we just have to remove the SID pointers in bmap106 and replace them with the normal Wildheart. As far as I checked, C307.cmb just skips the process of removing those two skills if they aren't there, so there's no problem with it.

Edited by 1234567890num

3 hours ago, Person mystery said:

After a bit of tinkering I managed to remove Volug's forced Wildheart from Part 1. I thought I'd put the notes here for posterity.

There are SID_FIXEDBEAST, SID_FIXEDHALFBEAST, SID_HALFBEAST, and SID_HALFBEAST_DUMMY. The first one is Formshift (not really relevant here) and the third one is the actual Wildheart we all know and love probably never use intentionally The fourth one is the locked Wildheart skill, which actually does nothing. The forced shifting is actually done by the second skill (which is invisible on the skill list).

The bmap106 gives Volug the second and fourth skill (NOT the FE10data). The C307 script removes those two skills and added the third one. Thus, we just have to remove the SID pointers in bmap106 and replacing them with the normal Wildheart. As far as I checked, the C307 script just skip the process of removing those two skills if they weren't there, so there's no problem with it.

Wow, that's a really awesome find! I knew how to remove Elincias forced Mercy, but not this in depth. That's pretty amazing!

In C407A.cmb scripts file there's a function UnitCheckLiveByPID in 1089. Based on the findings in page 1, the pointer address should be 1089-2C=105D. You can the find where in the script that function is used by searching for it.

Usually 38 XX XX points to the function done the object pointed right before it with 1D XX XX. For example, 38 10 5D appears thrice in C407A.cmb, right after the pointers for each of the herons. I have no idea what'll happen if you nullify them. I don't have a save with a dead Reyson ready, so I can't help you test it.

would this help? This is my save 😄 hehe

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mXYpchR6PTjvqACqnEZpy5DmNLX7zJmd/view?usp=sharing

you will also notice all 71 characters items are blessed, and the forged weapons have 24-27 mt, 150+ crit, 200 hit

all characters have:

fortune, nihil, imbue, adept, vantage, cancel, pass, crit 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, etc lol

Edited by Prophet

Question. How can I change the values for Laguz Transformation increases and decreases per turn and battle? I assume I'll need to use a hex editor. Where can I find these values exactly in the code. Did anyone look into this before? I think I recall mentions of a hack on this 5 years ago.. Complete novice with coding, but tbh this change seems easy since its a minor integer change so it shouldnt take too long to learn.

Edited by brassy
Clarification

7 hours ago, brassy said:

Question. How can I change the values for Laguz Transformation increases and decreases per turn and battle? I assume I'll need to use a hex editor. Where can I find these values exactly in the code. Did anyone look into this before? I think I recall mentions of a hack on this 5 years ago.. Complete novice with coding, but tbh this change seems easy since its a minor integer change so it shouldnt take too long to learn.

You can indeed change this!

Well, using Reyson as an example here: Assuming this is an NTSC RD.

open a hex editor ( I use HxD) and hit Ctrl+G to goto an offset. Enter 1857 and hit enter, then it should bring you to a set of letters that show FB. Now, knowing that Reyson loses 5 points of transformation gauge after battling, we can use a calculator to check this. So open a calculator and change it to scientific mode, than enter -5 in the decimal area, and if you look at the results in the Hex are, you will see FB there, that would be -5 in Hex. So to change it, either use a calculator to do the math or add it yourself, pretty simple.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

You can indeed change this!

Well, using Reyson as an example here: Assuming this is an NTSC RD.

open a hex editor ( I use HxD) and hit Ctrl+G to goto an offset. Enter 1857 and hit enter, then it should bring you to a set of letters that show FB. Now, knowing that Reyson loses 5 points of transformation gauge after battling, we can use a calculator to check this. So open a calculator and change it to scientific mode, than enter -5 in the decimal area, and if you look at the results in the Hex are, you will see FB there, that would be -5 in Hex. So to change it, either use a calculator to do the math or add it yourself, pretty simple.

Thank you! I will look into this when I can. 

I'm actually putting together a little personal character balance patch. My goal is to make every character fun to use, and to make the classes feel more unique. If it turns out well I might post the patch. 😉

29 minutes ago, brassy said:

Thank you! I will look into this when I can. 

I'm actually putting together a little personal character balance patch. My goal is to make every character fun to use, and to make the classes feel more unique. If it turns out well I might post the patch. 😉

Ah, good luck with that! And of course, have fun with it!

23 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Ah, good luck with that! And of course, have fun with it!

I am not sure if you can help me with this, but there is interest in the community to "auto level"  Tormod, Muarim and Vika to more reasonable levels when they return in Chapter 4-6. I am assuming that the game does not have an autoleveling function. To work around this I believe that I have to duplicate the character's code in a blabk space and then target the new code in chapter 4-6, and the Endgame correct? 

45 minutes ago, brassy said:

I am not sure if you can help me with this, but there is interest in the community to "auto level"  Tormod, Muarim and Vika to more reasonable levels when they return in Chapter 4-6. I am assuming that the game does not have an autoleveling function. To work around this I believe that I have to duplicate the character's code in a blabk space and then target the new code in chapter 4-6, and the Endgame correct? 

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but there is alot tied to that, and I'm not sure how easy it is to point all that stuff to a new slot. Why not just have Tormod start out promoted? 

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but there is alot tied to that, and I'm not sure how easy it is to point all that stuff to a new slot. Why not just have Tormod start out promoted? 

I am just feeling around... There really is no good solution for the group, so I figure that if there was a simple solution already found that I should go it.

If it's too difficult to autolevel the characters I will just leave them as is. No biggie. Tormod and Vika already feel good in part 1.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:46 AM, Prophet said:

would this help? This is my save 😄 hehe

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mXYpchR6PTjvqACqnEZpy5DmNLX7zJmd/view?usp=sharing

you will also notice all 71 characters items are blessed, and the forged weapons have 24-27 mt, 150+ crit, 200 hit

all characters have:

fortune, nihil, imbue, adept, vantage, cancel, pass, crit 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, etc lol

Seems like doing my method gives an error, which if ignored automatically assigns Rafiel to the team. Guess you'll have to modify the save directly somehow.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:02 AM, brassy said:

There's a guide on how to do this on the very first post of this thread. It's useful when you want to change other things for your character hack. You'd need WiiScrubber and Batch LZ77 (I don't think Wiitools is available anymore).

By the way, I don't think this game has an autolevel feature. Would've been useful for Part 1/2 characters.

Edited by Person mystery

On 8/15/2020 at 2:02 AM, brassy said:

Why not just give them a blessed laguz gem; or better yet, formshift skill

3 hours ago, Prophet said:

I've already updated the code... I am working on updating skills though. I am trying to get Paragon on Leonardo instead of cancel.  And the weapon ranks.

Edit: I've been practicing the pointers and got Paragon to work.

I would appreciate it though if someone could advise me on doubling exp per staff use. It doesn't seem to be stored with the items. 🙂

Edited by brassy
Update

5 hours ago, Prophet said:

You can't obtain a blessed laguz gem legit, even with a hacked rom. You'd need ti hack the save directly, which is a hassle if you want to spread the mod around.

Some laguz came with no skills, so replacing them with Formshift isn't always a viable option.

4 hours ago, brassy said:

I've already updated the code... I am working on updating skills though. I am trying to get Paragon on Leonardo instead of cancel.  And the weapon ranks.

Edit: I've been practicing the pointers and got Paragon to work.

I would appreciate it though if someone could advise me on doubling exp per staff use. It doesn't seem to be stored with the items. 🙂

There's a section in character data that points to starting weapon rank. It points to a string of letters which in order points to sword, lance, axe, bow, knife, strike, fire, thunder, wind, light, dark, staff (just like in the game itself). You can either change the pointer to the string you want or you can change the string itself. SS is denoted with *.

As for the exp formula, well... I have no idea. Sorry.