Pairing questions

Luminothe

Right now I am working on my first genealogy of the holy war playthrough. however I am unsure aas to who I should pair with whom. SO I seperated my plans into most likely and maybe. bold are most likely, un-bold are maybe. Could you tell me what you think I should change.

SigurdXdiadora-gosh it would be awesome if I could pair sigurd with someone else>_<

LexXTiltyu-Ambush + wrath + Elite more than compensates for semi-decent stats. Besides, Arthur can use swords(i think) promotion anyway.

Ayra XHolyn- Major Odo blood + great stats + incredible skillset = definite choice.

Ethlin X Cuan- Geeze Ethlin stinks

Levin X Fury- Sety is aparently amazing.

Sylvia X Claude- one is a dancer and the other is a healer with major blaggi. Makes sense to me(which really isn't a good sign)

Lackesis X beowulf- some guy on gamefaqs told me to

Aedean X Dew- I have a deep need to pair up Dew

Briggid X Jamka- Because of Jamka's skillset and Briggids holy weapon, Faval will be amazing.

-Ayra x Holyn is nice, but basically, you're just accenting on stats that will be capped anyway. Speed and Skill will be easily maxed out by the time Skasaha and Lakche promote. Also, neither of the kids will be using the Balmunk, unless you exploit a glitch, so having Major Odo in this case is pointless. Although they lose the potential Luna skill (which you can't even activate at the same time as Astra), I'd suggest Ayra x Lex. The children get minor Neir, greatly benefitting to their defense problems, and also receive Ambush and Elite. Skasaha may have trouble inheriting swords, but you can always keep an extra silver sword on Lakche and pawn shop it back to Skasaha. With Lex's Elite skill, which you won't be getting from Holyn, the children will level up faster, promote quicker, and kick ass better.

-Sylvia x Claude is better off being Sylvia x death by Langobart. The substitute characters (Laylea and Sharlow) are generally regarded as superior to her children (Leen and Corple).

-Also, Tiltyu x Lex may not be the best choice for the first-timer. Same thing for Adean x Dew.

-I might suggest somebody else for Tiltyu. Preferably Levin, although Fury x Levin is a great beginner choice too. Perhaps Azel?

With Adean x Dew, you might find it hard for their kids to be consistent. For one thing, you'd be lacking pursuit on Lester and Rana, while the only skill both of them inherit is Bargain. Bloody good BARGAIN is going to do you. I recommend Midayle x Adean. Lester turns out above-average, while Rana can consistently keep her healing reasonably well, and even better if she just inherits a recover staff and be done with it.

Briggid X Jamka- Because of Jamka's skillset and Briggids holy weapon, Faval will be amazing.

Are you possibly referring to Jamka's skillset as this? Pursuit, Continue, Charge.

-Really? I really don't think something such as this is necessary. Continue isn't that awed on Faval, considering how Briggid's Ichival will 2hit the majority of enemies in the game anyway. Charge will also be detrimental for Patty. I don't think you'd want her to purposely activate it, create ~4 more rounds of combat, and literally suicide against a generic axe knight. Something like Holyn x Briggid is a good choice. Patty will gain B in swords, as well has Luna, so she might actually kill stuff. And your MANLY FAVAL still performs above expectations, and will sometimes cap his hp at 80.

Holy crap. That might have been the longest post I've made on this forum in the 11 months I've been here. ._________.

Edited by Roxas

Right now I am working on my first genealogy of the holy war playthrough. however I am unsure aas to who I should pair with whom. SO I seperated my plans into most likely and maybe. bold are most likely, un-bold are maybe. Could you tell me what you think I should change.

SigurdXdiadora-gosh it would be awesome if I could pair sigurd with someone else>_<

LexXTiltyu-Ambush + wrath + Elite more than compensates for semi-decent stats. Besides, Arthur can use swords(i think) promotion anyway.

Ayra XHolyn- Major Odo blood + great stats + incredible skillset = definite choice.

Sylvia X Claude- one is a dancer and the other is a healer with major blaggi. Makes sense to me(which really isn't a good sign)

@Bold:The one problem is lack of mag, which might make them hard to train, elite might make up for it. =/ I go with the standard Tailto/Azel

@Italics: You can't activate Astra and Luna at the same time unfortunately. =/ I go with standard Lex/Ayra, Noish/Ayra works as well due to critical skill

@Underline: Lester will have no bow inheritance, which might be a problem. =/ Edin/Midir always. =P

@Red text: Patty will not get any sword inheritance. Briggid/Holyn so patty can use Luna. =x

@Bold:The one problem is lack of mag, which might make them hard to train, elite might make up for it. =/ I go with the standard Tailto/Azel

@Italics: You can't activate Astra and Luna at the same time unfortunately. =/ I go with standard Lex/Ayra, Noish/Ayra works as well due to critical skill

@Underline: Lester will have no bow inheritance, which might be a problem. =/ Edin/Midir always. =P

@Red text: Patty will not get any sword inheritance. Briggid/Holyn so patty can use Luna. =x

Basically what i just said in a nutshell. :facepalm:

I see some problems with your pairs.

Lex X Tiltyu: Lack of Pursuit and a low Mag growth hurts Arthur and Tinny.

Holyn X Ayra: Not a bad pair, but did you think you'd have them use the Balmunk? Also: Astra does not stack up with Luna in this game.

Sylvia X Claude: Not a bad pair, but Sylvia X No One is a better pair.

Lachesis X Beowulf: That guy on Gamefaqs, in one way or another, does know where he's getting at. Lachesis is someone looking for a Pursuit holder after all, and Beowulf is one of the best choices.

Eden X Dew: You will just screw Lester up going through with this, do you know that? Lack of Pursuit and lack of bow inheritance hurts Lester.

Bridget X Jamuka: Not bad, but it hurts Patty somewhat due to a lack of both Pursuit and sword inheritance.

I was beaten, but I dunno if this is an accurate summary.

Edited by LittleAl

Basically what i just said in a nutshell. :facepalm:

You ninja'd me dammit. >_>

I see some problems with your pairs.

Lex X Tiltyu: Lack of Pursuit and a high Mag growth hurts Arthur and Tinny.

Holyn X Ayra: Not a bad pair, but did you think you'd have them use the Balmunk? Also: Astra does not stack up with Luna in this game.

Lachesis X Beowulf: That guy, in one way or another, does know where he's getting at. Lachesis is someone looking for a Pursuit holder after all, and Beowulf is one of the best choices.

Eden X Dew: You will just screw Lester up going through with this, do you know that?

Bridget X Jamuka: Not bad, but it hurts Patty somewhat.

I was beaten, but I dunno if this is an accurate summary.

ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE JUST SUMMARIZING MY WALL O' TEXT

But to your Lachesis point, I'd also want to recommend Fin, also it is quite a hard pairing to make.

Other than dewXAideen, everything is fine. People are going to flame you for pairing holyn and ayra todether. I love that pairing.

You could pair Ayra up with dew however. Solar sword actually helps

And I didn't notice LexXTiltyu. It's not a bad pairing, but for most of the game both kids suck. Arthur will get higher strength than magic, and that's useless until level 20 when he promotes. It's tough to level him with his sucky magic.

I'd recommend AzelXTiltyu instead.

Edited by mousefire

Lex X Tiltyu: Lack of Pursuit and a high Mag growth hurts Arthur and Tinny.

I find this pairing more useful as Tinni starts out underleveled, and that she will need Elite to catch up with the others. Plus Ambush is actually more useful as they will grow more def which more than makes up for their low magic which can be solved with a Magic Ring.

That Holyn is better to be paired with Briggid, yes.

This.

Eden X Dew: You will just screw Lester up going through with this, do you know that? Lack of Pursuit and lack of bow inheritance hurts Lester.

Also, lack of Str.

----

Ayra XNoish

With Critical, Charge, and several other skills make up for this pairing. Honestly, Ayra is good to pair up with any melee fighter.

LachesisXAlec

I would recommend this pairing more than Fin, because Fin's pairing is difficult to make and that both children will get the most useful skill in the game, Nihil.

BriggidXHolyn

This is the only good pairing to make with her and that Patti will only be useful with this one.

EdenXAzel

With this pairing, Rana can actually become the best healing unit in this game and that she can use Elfire upon promotion.

EdinXMidir

This is recommended for first playthroughs.

FuryXClaude

You could go with this pairing to have a flyer that can use Higher class staves, like Libro.

FuryXLevin

Most Recommended.

Only pair Fury with one of these two men, no one else.

TiltyuXLex

See above in quote.

TiltyuXAzel

Gives both children Pursuit and Wrath and that this pairing is extremely easy to make!

TiltyuXLevin

A recommended pairing. Gives both children Critical, and Continue skill upon class change. Plus Tinny will be able to use Tornado upon class change.

Pair her up with one of these three men, no one else!

SylviaXNo One

Sylvia should be paired up with no one, as the subs are far more useful than Sylvias children, and that you will get the Barrier Sword and Berserk Staff.

Edited by Samus00

If you really need to pair Dew up with someone... As previouly stated you could pair Dew with Arya whose children will actually make good use of Sol. Sure, Astra and Sol can't activate at the same time, but that's not nescessary a bad thing.

Or you could also pair him with Briggid. Sure, Sol do absolutely nothing for Patty, but Faval sure could use bargain skill since holy weapons are so expensive to repair. Plus, Dew could pass down swords.

I find Lex X Tiltyu more useful as Tinny starts out underleveled, and that she will need Paragon to catch up with the others. Plus Vantage is actually more useful as they will grow more def which more than makes up for their low magic which can be solved with a Magic Ring.
Can someone please explain to me why Arthur and Tinny would wanna trade Pursuit, as well as a high Mag growth for Paragon and Vantage? And I do not wanna have to use Magic rings on both of them either.
EdenXAzel. With this pairing, Lana can actually become the best healing unit in this game and that she can use Elfire upon promotion.
Did you even read what I said about the Eden X Dew pair? Because what I said about that pair, also applies to Eden X Azel, minus the lack of Pursuit thing. Edited by LittleAl

I find this pairing more useful as Tinni starts out underleveled, and that she will need Paragon to catch up with the others. Plus Vantage is actually more useful as they will grow more def which more than makes up for their low magic which can be solved with a Magic Ring.
Can someone please explain to me why Arthur and Tinny would wanna trade Pursuit, as well as a high Mag growth for Paragon and Vantage? And I do not wanna have to use Magic rings on both of them either.
EdenXAzel. With this pairing, Lana can actually become the best healing unit in this game and that she can use Elfire upon promotion.
Did you even read what I said about the Eden X Dew pair? Because what I said about that pair, also applies to Eden X Azel.

l

The fact that tiltyu has wrath therfore, when trained, Arthur and tinny will mow down armies without recieving a scratch. Or so I gather.

The fact that tiltyu has wrath therfore, when trained, Arthur and tinny will mow down armies without recieving a scratch. Or so I gather.

Nope. Their stats are fairly bad, and their are a lot of long-range attackers. they suck for most of the game, and There are too many maybes.

Their speed isn't great, so long range attackers will destroy arthur.

I present you a scenario:

Enemy phase

Say an enemy attacks Arthur and hits, putting him above half, but still pretty beat up. Arthur goes about his regular attack, not receiving wrath.

Next enemy attacks and hits Arthur to his bare minimum hp. Arthur gets wrath and criticals.

Another enemy attacks. Arthur ambushes, but misses. OH WELL.

"Heh... How silly" *fades*

Might I remind you that wrath does not guarantee an absolute hit? It is basically a one-time combo. If you screw up with wrath + ambush, you're pretty much done for. Although, it IS possible for Tinny to make use of the prayer sword, the prayer skill effect is for one turn only. While it might look good in pen and paper, down in thoughts, the actual game mechanics and its limitations presents the key flaws in ambush + wrath. You'll be hard pressed to see that this skillset can actually be efficient.

Again, as you are a first time player, I recommend you Levin x Tiltyu or Azel x Tiltyu.

Edited by Roxas

I present you a scenario:

Enemy phase

Say an enemy attacks Arthur and hits, putting him above half, but still pretty beat up. Arthur goes about his regular attack, not receiving wrath.

Next enemy attacks and hits Arthur to his bare minimum hp. Arthur gets wrath and criticals.

Another enemy attacks. Arthur ambushes, but misses. OH WELL.

"Heh... How silly" *fades*

Might I remind you that wrath does not guarantee an absolute hit? It is basically a one-time combo. If you screw up with wrath + ambush, you're pretty much done for. Although, it IS possible for Tinny to make use of the prayer sword, the prayer skill effect is for one turn only. While it might look good in pen and paper, down in thoughts, the actual game mechanics and its limitations presents the key flaws in ambush + wrath. You'll be hard pressed to see that this skillset can actually be efficient.

Again, as you are a first time player, I recommend you Levin x Tiltyu or Azel x Tiltyu.

Isn't the biggest problem that they simply don't OHKO very much even with wrath? They both have rather low mag given Tiltyu doesn't have the greatest of mag growths and Lex has the typical physical unit magic growth.

Since they are stuck with B until promotion where they can use Tron (and there is only one Tron) they'll have 80 hit weapons (or 90 hit with the C ranks, since they'll only have B in Thunder before promotion) and their skill is pretty good. Of course, Arthur caps skill at 22 and Tinny at 24, and it's unfortunate for them that their good luck doesn't matter for hit in this game. Still, I think not OHKOing is a bigger problem than accuracy. At least if it was just accuracy then it's a strategy that would probably work most of the time and so for a casual gamer it would be a fun pair.

Also if they had a higher def base. Their def cap is low and that's annoying, but what's more annoying is just how long it takes them to get there. If they spent half their existence with def capped then for a little bit of time they would have decent defence (immediately after capping for maybe a chapter or two).

Well, Lex x Tailto ain't bad, you just need to use it well.

For example you really should never drop them in front of whole armies, and if they are below half hp, always check your enemies before sending them in.

As you're a first-timer, though, I sincerely and strongly recommend against it.

*Sylvia x any magic user is best for her son. Everyone says Laylea and Sharlow are better than Leen and Corple, but the thing is Sylvia's kids depend a LOT on who their dad is. Claude is highly reccomended, Corple will be perfect for absorbing magic attacks and repelling status effects. This one is a keeper.

*Levin/Fury is definitely a good choice, easy to make with a nice set of kids. You'll even get a free Lightning tome for Yuria or Leaf since Sety won't even need it. XD So definitely keep this one.

*I reccomend going with Midayle or Jamuka for Edain, better skill sets and inheritance.

*Bridget/Jamuka's a good one, but make sure you have a Skill Ring aside for Faval because of the Ichival's average accuracy and Jamuka's poor skill. Holin and Deu are also good contenders.

*Beowulf's an ideal first pick for Lachesis, it's easy to make and the skills are useful. But you can get just as good results with Finn; granted it's a tougher pairing to make with tight time constraints but it can be done. Just make sure Delmud buys a broadsword ASAP and Finn sells his stuff before you close chapter 3.

*Holin/Ayra's great, full Odo blood and two awesome sword skills. But Lex/Ayra is also a good choice for higher defense and quicker levelling. You can't lose either way!

*Lex/Tiltyu I wouldn't reccomend for first-timers. It's an amazing pairing, but Azel/Tiltyu is a safer bet and the kids are just as awesome.

*Sylvia x any magic user is best for her son. Everyone says Laylea and Sharlow are better than Leen and Corple, but the thing is Sylvia's kids depend a LOT on who their dad is. Claude is highly reccomended, Corple will be perfect for absorbing magic attacks and repelling status effects. This one is a keeper.

Um... Maybe it's because of the fact that Layla has Charisma and Sharlow has Paragon and Layla can the Barrier Sword? What's in italics may be another reason, since Sharlow and Layla don't require any parents. And besides, it's not like Lynn would be any different, despite her father. Corple's just plain hard to raise.
*Bridget/Jamuka's a good one, but make sure you have a Skill Ring aside for Faval because of the Ichival's average accuracy and Jamuka's poor skill.
No sword inherence for Patty, stuck at C in swords and no Pursuit until promotion. Doesn't seem good to me.

Um... Maybe it's because of the fact that Layla has Charisma and Sharlow has Paragon and Layla can the Barrier Sword? What's in italics may be another reason, since Sharlow and Layla don't require any parents. And besides, it's not like Lynn would be any different, despite her father. Corple's just plain hard to raise.

Even so, the sub units having great skills doesn't mean Corple and Leen are teh autosuck. *shrugs* Just if you give them the wrong dad. ...same could be said for Arthur and Tinny too, actually. :/ Even CLAUDE and the wasted Valkyrie staff and lack of skills is a better dad than all physical units who aren't named Lex.

*Bridget/Jamuka's a good one, but make sure you have a Skill Ring aside for Faval because of the Ichival's average accuracy and Jamuka's poor skill.
No sword inherence for Patty, stuck at C in swords and no Pursuit until promotion. Doesn't seem good to me.

Actually, I'm inclined to agree. :/ I mean, I found it effective myself, but I don't know why that one's the most highly reccomended for new players when Deu and Holin have so much more to offer. ESPECIALLY Holin, but if you pair him with the right woman he's one heck of a dad. Even for dancers.

Edited by SaraJaye