Why is Micaiah is often called a Mary Sue?

Nephinel

It's simply referred to as the ancient language. Just thought you should know.

What makes you think I didn't know that?

I'm sure you did, but not everyone does. Other people in this thread may not know, and I am attempting to clarify this point. It is, after all, quite a common misconception.

Fair enough. But you quoted me when you said that, so I thought it was directed at me. Yeah.

Simply so the others knew to what I was referring. I apologize for any offense I may have caused.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think she's a bigger Sue than Ike, she can't kill the final boss because he has to do it even though she is tied much more to the plot than he is. He had that same exclusivity with Ashnard, and he had his own game already.

All the lordesses have to share their importance with a lord, not one has had a game all to herself. Ike has PoR to himself and in Radiant Dawn he is treated as a more important lord. Flawless everything, and Micaiah is treated like a pawn by Pelleas.

@NinjaMoney: You know, Yune. Who actually CAN speak the same language as everyone.

@Naglfar: It's not a secret when NO ONE knows about it, sure, Micaiah herself didn't even know they where related. What would add her more Mary Sue points would be if Sanaki knew about it the whole time, which she didn't until the end.

I don't think she's a bigger Sue than Ike, she can't kill the final boss because he has to do it even though she is tied much more to the plot than he is. He had that same exclusivity with Ashnard, and he had his own game already.

@bolded: Ena, Nasir, Naesala, Tibarn, and Giffca could also defeat Ashnard.

Well, on HM unless you save up skills for the dragon you get (and possibly even then) Ike is better at taking out Ashnard than your dragon, and whichever royal you choose won't show up until Ashnard's second form and the royal appears at the bottom. I think I typically have Ashnard KOd before the royal can get up there, or maybe the royal finally makes it the turn I take down Ashnard. It's not the same as being the only unit that can KO the final boss, but it's really close.

I'd love if Mist could actually damage Ashnard, though. Sonic Sword with her magic? Maybe even throw Resolve on her (attack, get hit, allows double in PoR). I think she'd need to be abused (and given one seraph robe) to get enough hp + def to survive the counter, though, or at least get multiple seraph robes. She'd do lots more damage than Ike, though.

Well, on HM unless you save up skills for the dragon you get (and possibly even then) Ike is better at taking out Ashnard than your dragon, and whichever royal you choose won't show up until Ashnard's second form and the royal appears at the bottom. I think I typically have Ashnard KOd before the royal can get up there, or maybe the royal finally makes it the turn I take down Ashnard. It's not the same as being the only unit that can KO the final boss, but it's really close.I'd love if Mist could actually damage Ashnard, though. Sonic Sword with her magic? Maybe even throw Resolve on her (attack, get hit, allows double in PoR). I think she'd need to be abused (and given one seraph robe) to get enough hp + def to survive the counter, though, or at least get multiple seraph robes. She'd do lots more damage than Ike, though.
I wasn't taking efficiency into account. I was just pointing something out. :/

"BRB, landing the finishing blow on Ashera" <_<

That doesn't really make sense, you know. Anyone else could have done that, many could use Alondite, in which, is Ragnell's twin. Oh wait, gold is more loved than silver, so yeah, let's give the main hero a cool golden sword.

Well, on HM unless you save up skills for the dragon you get (and possibly even then) Ike is better at taking out Ashnard than your dragon, and whichever royal you choose won't show up until Ashnard's second form and the royal appears at the bottom. I think I typically have Ashnard KOd before the royal can get up there, or maybe the royal finally makes it the turn I take down Ashnard. It's not the same as being the only unit that can KO the final boss, but it's really close.I'd love if Mist could actually damage Ashnard, though. Sonic Sword with her magic? Maybe even throw Resolve on her (attack, get hit, allows double in PoR). I think she'd need to be abused (and given one seraph robe) to get enough hp + def to survive the counter, though, or at least get multiple seraph robes. She'd do lots more damage than Ike, though.
I wasn't taking efficiency into account. I was just pointing something out. :/

Does the efficiency of using him for the task add to his Sue(Stu)-level? I mean, sure, it would be more if he was the only one, but he's still the most efficient option.

@Naglfar: It's not a secret when NO ONE knows about it, sure, Micaiah herself didn't even know they where related. What would add her more Mary Sue points would be if Sanaki knew about it the whole time, which she didn't until the end.

What validates Micaiah's Sue-ness was that she "magically" figured it out that she was the real apostle. No one told her. She just "realized" it, which i find to be ridiculous. Not even Lehran says "oh btw, yer the apostle and stuff" which i would have bought since it would have come from another character. It doesnt. The only clue we get is the memory scene involving Misaha and Lehran. So yeah. I mean, come on. Micaiah just pulls that one out of thin air.

Does Ike have a flaw or make a mistake in RD, though?

Thats the problem. Thats where Ike's Sue-ness shows. No one points out anything flawed about Ike's actions. However, in Ike's defense, assuming you played PoR, you should know what his flaws are. But alas.

What validates Micaiah's Sue-ness was that she "magically" figured it out that she was the real apostle. No one told her. She just "realized" it, which i find to be ridiculous. Not even Lehran says "oh btw, yer the apostle and stuff" which i would have bought since it would have come from another character. It doesnt. The only clue we get is the memory scene involving Misaha and Lehran. So yeah. I mean, come on. Micaiah just pulls that one out of thin air.

She heard it from the voices of the Tower of Guidance or something. But Sanaki was the one to realize it first, it's not like Micaiah was aware of it until Sanaki told her and then made her realize.

That's because NOBODY in RD has a personality except for maybe four or five people.

Fuck they could ALL be considered lous/sues.

Let's see, the units receiving character development in this game...

Micaiah, Elincia, Skrimir and Pelleas.

...Wow.

That's because NOBODY in RD has a personality except for maybe four or five people.

...Wow.

Micaiah becomes nearly irrelevant after Part 1, Elincia has NOTHING new going for her, Skirmir is a goddamn retard, and Pelleas is just an idiot.

No, the characters that get actual development are:

Wow, quite the list.

...Wow.

Micaiah becomes nearly irrelevant after Part 1, Elincia has NOTHING new going for her, Skirmir is a goddamn retard, and Pelleas is just an idiot.

No, the characters that get actual development are:

Wow, quite the list.

Micaiah gets more than anyone else, Elincia gets a bit during part two, Skrimir becomes a bit less of a goddamn retard, and Pelleas goes through plenty of character-developing situations, idiot or no.

They get development. It's miniscule, but they get it.

Everyone else has maybe one quirk, if even that. Kieran has his eccentricity, Ilyana has her hunger, Heather has her sexual orientation, Kyza has his too, and Volug has, uh... well... do his abs count?

Hey, you forgot Sanaki whom actually has a personality, she's quite matured since FE9.

Honorable mentions go to our other friends:

-Mia

-Ilyana

-Chuck Norris Nolan

-Oliver

Yeah, those. B)

Edited by Soul

Having no personality is not the same as being a Mary-Sue. And not getting any lines is also not the same as having no personality.

When did Ike even need to make a mistake? Soren was the tactician who thought of the courses of action, and Ike was just the guy who ordered the army to do what Soren said. He was a moral character, but aren't most characters moral? If Ike was a Sue, there would have been a lot of evidence that he was great at everything, and all we know is that he is a leader with amazing fighting skills with little plot development.

Micaiah had a lot of Sue qualities. She has her special talent of sacrifice, never-ending gentleness, loyalty, and compassion, she seems to be a great tactician as seen several times in the game, she's beautiful and has uniquely colored hair, everyone admires her, saves Daein and then all of Tellius, becomes the queen of Daein and sister of the apostle, and is pretty much flawless. Her "morally questionable" decisions were made when no decision was ideal. In part 3, she attacks the laguz in loyalty to her country, and when she decides enough is enough, she realizes that her country will be destroyed if she does not continue fighting, so she has to continue to fight Ike's army. In part 1, she doesn't seem to make any mistakes, fixing Izuka's strategy a couple of times, and not making any selfish decisions. So yeah, she's a Sue.

But correct me if I'm wrong, I've only played this game once, and that was months ago.

Hey, you forgot Sanaki whom actually has a personality, she's quite matured since FE9.

Honorable mentions go to our other friends:

-Mia

-Ilyana

-Chuck Norris Nolan

-Oliver

bolded is the ONLY one that makes sense. Otherwise, lolno to ALL of them. SANAKI DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A PERK TO SEPARATE HERSELF FROM THOSE OTHER GUYS.

But that still somehow doesn't mean she has a generic personality. Oh wait, I guess you now need personality to rule, huh?

She has an INCREDIBLY generic personality much like many characters.