Generalizing Rexaura Steal

Kinata

It's a well-known fact that the rexaura can be obtained by silencing the bishop who holds it and making him use his elixir. But I just did some testing, and it is possible to obtain any late-game tome by silencing an enemy bishop or sage and make him use a vulnerary or elixir. This makes it possible to get extra bolganones, thorons, and long-range tomes. And if an enemy doesn't have a healing item, you can just do this near an enemy who does have such an item, and the magic user will trade to get that item. Even long-rage sages who don't normally move will run to get a healing item.

It's a well-known fact that the rexaura can be obtained by silencing the bishop who holds it and making him use his elixir. But I just did some testing, and it is possible to obtain any late-game tome by silencing an enemy bishop or sage and make him use a vulnerary or elixir. This makes it possible to get extra bolganones, thorons, and long-range tomes. And if an enemy doesn't have a healing item, you can just do this near an enemy who does have such an item, and the magic user will trade to get that item. Even long-rage sages who don't normally move will run to get a healing item.

I figured that, but other than perhaps an extra bolganone, thoron, or tornado, it doesn't do a lot of good. Silence staves are limited, and usually, any enemy with a long range tome also has a weaker (i.e. buyable tome) as well, so all you have to do is force the character to use that one instead. The rexaura is special since it's both powerful and one-of-a-kind. Nonetheless, a couple of extra thorons or bolganones are always nice to have.

I figured that, but other than perhaps an extra bolganone, thoron, or tornado, it doesn't do a lot of good. Silence staves are limited, and usually, any enemy with a long range tome also has a weaker (i.e. buyable tome) as well, so all you have to do is force the character to use that one instead. The rexaura is special since it's both powerful and one-of-a-kind. Nonetheless, a couple of extra thorons or bolganones are always nice to have.

Yes, but this is coming from Kinata, who somehow manages to be more of a completionist than I am. And I try to steal almost everything out there.

This makes your challenge a little more annoying, though.

I also just discovered that almost any tome can be stolen in the same fashion as the rexaura, which I just made a topic on. Luckily, with only 3 obtainable silences and 1 hammerne, I will "only" have to do this 15 times. So it doesn't matter that I missed a few tomes back in the last few chapters.

That also locks up Hammerne to only fix silence staves. But if there are only 7 vulneraries remaining, can you even get 15 tomes? Or is there some elixirs in addition to the 7 vulneraries? Because 7 vulneraries and 15 tomes means that at least one of the vulneraries would need to be used 3 times. Meaning it can't be stolen. Well, if you didn't count elixirs and vulneraries together to get 7, I'm sure it's fine. However, you still need 2 mages near each of the items so that two different mages can use them.

Yes, it's 7 vulneraries and 7 elixirs, so I should be fine. The main problem is that I can't miss with any of my silences, so it is best to only aim for sages, not super-high res bishops. And I have had terrible luck with silences against bishops... Last time I tried getting the rexaura, I only had about 65% chance of hitting the bishop, and Rhys missed all 3 times. Then, when I tested out my generalization theory in chapter 18 against a regular bishop, I had about a 60% of hitting him, and once again, I missed all 3 times. When I tried again 20 minutes later, it took me 2 tries to silence that bishop. So yeah, I failed to roughly 60% chance silence bishops 7 times in a row.

There are enough healing items to get 28 tomes, way more than enough, so I shouldn't have much trouble finding 15 conveniently placed sages. It's easiest to do this with elixirs held by non-moving bosses.

Yes, it's 7 vulneraries and 7 elixirs, so I should be fine. The main problem is that I can't miss with any of my silences, so it is best to only aim for sages, not super-high res bishops. And I have had terrible luck with silences against bishops... Last time I tried getting the rexaura, I only had about 65% chance of hitting the bishop, and Rhys missed all 3 times. Then, when I tested out my generalization theory in chapter 18 against a regular bishop, I had about a 60% of hitting him, and once again, I missed all 3 times. When I tried again 20 minutes later, it took me 2 tries to silence that bishop. So yeah, I failed to roughly 60% chance silence bishops 7 times in a row.

There are enough healing items to get 28 tomes, way more than enough, so I shouldn't have much trouble finding 15 conveniently placed sages. It's easiest to do this with elixirs held by non-moving bosses.

I know for a fact that Shiharham and Ena both have elixirs. The bishop with the Rexaura does too. I think that Petrine has an elixir as well.

Also remember to get Bertram's spear. (Runesword is droppable)

Edited by Randomly Predictable

I'm in chapter 22, and the remaining elixirs are held by Petrine, Rikard, Gromell, Bertram, Heddwyn, Bryce, and the Rexaura bishop. Don't worry, I didn't miss Ena's or Shiharam's elixirs.

I'm in chapter 22, and the remaining elixirs are held by Petrine, Rikard, Gromell, Bertram, Heddwyn, Bryce, and the Rexaura bishop. Don't worry, I didn't miss Ena's or Shiharam's elixirs.

The only problem you might have is that Gromell and Rikard both move, so you may have trouble stealing their elixirs.

Trust me, in my perfect playthrough, I have faced challenges much harder than stealing from a moving boss. Just a few days ago, in chapter 21, I had to steal the sleep staff from that bishop by Ena, who, under a normal strategy, uses it up long before you get to him. Now that was annoying.

Trust me, in my perfect playthrough, I have faced challenges much harder than stealing from a moving boss. Just a few days ago, in chapter 21, I had to steal the sleep staff from that bishop by Ena, who, under a normal strategy, uses it up long before you get to him. Now that was annoying.

I'm guessing that using the sleep staff you get in chapter 18 is out of the question?

I'm guessing that using the sleep staff you get in chapter 18 is out of the question?

I'm sure it's legal under his rules. It's just not likely to work from many tiles away against something with a bishop's res.

I'd like to know how he managed to steal that thing at all. I know it's legal in your playthrough to get a sleep staff with just 1 use (though now you must get the obtainable silence staves with all 3 each) but I don't think I ever managed to get there before he used it up.

I'm sure it's legal under his rules. It's just not likely to work from many tiles away against something with a bishop's res.

I'd like to know how he managed to steal that thing at all. I know it's legal in your playthrough to get a sleep staff with just 1 use (though now you must get the obtainable silence staves with all 3 each) but I don't think I ever managed to get there before he used it up.

Well, if he's got 18 Res and you're using sleep with a 24 Mag Rhys, you've got ~50-52% chance of it working, depending on how far away the bishop is (I think it's 30 + 5(Mag - EnemyRes) - 2(distance)?) 4-5 spaces isn't unreasonable.

First off, you get a silence in chapter 18. As for getting the sleep staff, I first tried a difficult method. I rescued Volke with Jill and Ike with Marcia. They flew down the middle channel, staying out of the bishop's range. When I got to land, I recruited Tauroneo while damaging 1 enemy per turn without killing it. This way, the bishop always used his physic to heal his allies instead of his sleep. I soon finally stole it while using an unequipped Tauroneo to lure the enemies away from Volke while Volke stole all of the enemies' items. Problem was, Volke's inventory became full, and I had to run Ike over to trade with Volke, but then one of the generals who had a vulnerary was retarded and attacked Ike instead of Tauroneo (I forgot about Ike's provoke). And of course, Ike just so happened to critical. Though I figured out a way to fix the strategy, I got lazy and didn't want to try again. So I gave Rhys some spirit dusts and BEXP to increase Rhys' chance of hitting the bishop with his own sleep staff to about 70%. And it worked.smile.gif It doesn't feel good to know I took the easy way out, but I don't really mind. BTW RP, you have to add your staff-wielder's skill to the equation.

Edited by Kinata

And yet Rexaura, like the rest of the light tomes in the game, is, to be blunt, awful. Besides, what use is it if I'm not using Rhys?

Edited by Richter Renard

And yet Rexaura, like the rest of the light tomes in the game, is, to be blunt, awful. Besides, what use is it if I'm not using Rhys?

Your second point is entirely valid. However, it's far stronger than Nosferatu and lighter as well, meaning less AS loss. The +3 defense helps Rhys a bunch as well (though the difference between 9 and 12 defense isn't much considering that enemies in the last chapter have >28-30 attack). Of course, it does have what must account to the best battle animation in the game, which has to account for something.

Your second point is entirely valid. However, it's far stronger than Nosferatu and lighter as well, meaning less AS loss. The +3 defense helps Rhys a bunch as well (though the difference between 9 and 12 defense isn't much considering that enemies in the last chapter have >28-30 attack). Of course, it does have what must account to the best battle animation in the game, which has to account for something.

It isn't helping when he gets demolished with or without it.

The strikethrough is your opinion.

It isn't helping when he gets demolished with or without it.

The strikethrough is your opinion.

Point one acknowledged in the parenthesis. Point two acknowledged via the strikethrough.

I agree that the Rexaura animation is the best normal animation in the game, and flare only makes it better (flare has a completely different look in FE9). Overall, the top 5 animations are probably (in alphabetical order) Aether, Astra, Flare with Rexaura, Lethality, and Lord/Hero critical.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to write Lethality.

Edited by Kinata

I agree that the Rexaura animation is the best normal animation in the game, and flare only makes it better (flare has a completely different look in FE9). Overall, the top 5 animations are probably (in alphabetical order) Aether, Astra, Flare with Rexaura, and Lord/Hero critical.

I'd take out Aether and put in Rexbolt, myself, but other than that, I largely agree. Of course, I've never seen a full Astra, since I rarely assign the skill (usually goes for Aether, Luna, or Flare in my games) and don't usually use Stefan either (very low luck = poor dodging for an SM).

Me neither, but yesterday, I was looking at the animations of all of the mastery skills I haven't seen yet. And let me tell you, Astra was simply awesome. Like almost all mastery skill animations, it was so much cooler in FE9. And Rexbolt is awesome, it's a tough decision for my top 5.

Edited by Kinata

Me neither, but yesterday, I was looking at the animations of all of the mastery skills I haven't seen yet. And let me tell you, Astra was simply awesome. Like almost all mastery skill animations, it was so much cooler in FE9. And Rexbolt is awesome, it's a tough decision for my top 5.

Do you think you can post a youtube video of the full FE9 Astra animation? I'd be interested in seeing it. :)

And by post, I meant link via the media link option.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

I don't know to make and upload videos. Just give a swordmaster astra in your next playthrough (don't save if you don't want to) and put it in the middle of some enemies until it activates. Essentially, your swordmaster attacks the enemy so fast you can barely see the indivual arm movements. I doubt astra can miss any of it's strikes considering how fast it is, but that would be really cool.

There is a youtube vido showing the S rank tomes of FE9, and Rexcalibur is possibly more awesome than Rexaura.

I don't know to make and upload videos. Just give a swordmaster astra in your next playthrough (don't save if you don't want to) and put it in the middle of some enemies until it activates. Essentially, your swordmaster attacks the enemy so fast you can barely see the indivual arm movements. I doubt astra can miss any of it's strikes considering how fast it is, but that would be really cool.

There is a youtube vido showing the S rank tomes of FE9, and Rexcalibur is possibly more awesome than Rexaura.

Saw the S rank tome animations. It's pretty clear that it's Rexaura > Rexbolt >> Rexcalibur > Rexflame to me, but your opinion may be different. I still haven't seen a good picture of Astra though...

Oh, and I don't mean to upload a video, I simply meant to link to a video with the media link function on here. I guess I was just asking if you knew of a good video that you could link here so I don't have to go hunting for it.

I agree that the Rexaura animation is the best normal animation in the game, and flare only makes it better (flare has a completely different look in FE9). Overall, the top 5 animations are probably (in alphabetical order) Aether, Astra, Flare with Rexaura, Lethality, and Lord/Hero critical.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to write Lethality.

I beg to differ. Especially on Lethality. I saw it once, and was unimpressed. (Though Lethality's unimpressive ANYWAY, with that garbgage activation rate...) As for Flare with Rexaura... Meh. I don't use Rhys. And I'm sure you could guess why. Can't say on Astra. I refuse to use Stefan (Low luck = Unimpresive dodge on a SM, whose main defense is dodging), and there are better skill choices for Mia and Zihark than an inferior Adept that takes up twice the skill capacity.