HHM ranked playthrough

Balcerzak

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Funds: Just as I thought.

You could have made things even easier on yourself by either abusing Marcus/etc. more, using more expensive weapons, etc.

No one doubted about funds being a difficult rank. Kind of surprised you went to VoL and bought the Fell Contract but not use an Assassin other than Jaffar (or did you sell it? Maybe I misread it).

Congrats on your success! I'll probably refer back to this soon, once I begin my own ranked run.

I didn't end up reading the in-depth parts for some of the chapters. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind listing which characters you promoted?

The requirements for alternate PFoD chapters depends on the aggregate exp gained by each set of characters, only during Hector's/Eliwood's mode. Any exp Erk, Lucius, Serra, or Dorcas gained in Lyn mode does not count towards the totals.

This is slightly off topic, sorry, but can anyone confirm this is true? I've never deliberately tested this, and the main FE7 page doesn't offer much insight.

Related: This also got me thinking, Do only the Lords' levels determine FFO paths, or could you possibly have 20/17.5/17.5 leveled Lords and still make it to Linus?

Edited by Meteor

No one doubted about funds being a difficult rank. Kind of surprised you went to VoL and bought the Fell Contract but not use an Assassin other than Jaffar (or did you sell it? Maybe I misread it).

He just bought it to get rid of his liquid cash, which (because of the silver card) is worth half as much to the funds rank as owned items.

Edit - You probably knew that, you thought he was going to overkill the XP rank rather than overkill funds.

I'd like to see someone log a run where they try to run out of funds with things that make a legitimate difference to the xp and tactics ranks without buying any of the big 50k items.

Edited by chrysalid

First, thanks to everyone for the congratulations.

Second, I had thought of compiling a little list of memorable events from the playthrough, but decided against it, as most of them come up at least once in the actual post here. I think the only exception was in a failed Genesis run, when for some reason, the AI decided it was a good reason to Berserk Troubadour Priscilla. She ended up just running around doing nothing, which was pretty hilarious, as at that point she'd already looted the treasure and was just going to try (in vain) to get back to the main group anyways.

Finally, addressing a few of the comments here in detail.

Nice work, this was a good read. There's a lot of stuff in here that's pretty interesting, plus useful for other people's ranked runs.

Good to hear it was enjoyable. And yeah, hopefully it can at least provide some additional reference points for other people planning on ranked runs. I could only find dondon's ranked one for comparison in the recent past on SF, and being able to refer back to that to see whether a chapter completion went comparatively well or poorly was something I certainly appreciated at times.

@Funds: Just as I thought.

You could have made things even easier on yourself by either abusing Marcus/etc. more, using more expensive weapons, etc.

I honestly thought Funds was going to be hard. I blame my experience with Farina S rank on HNM which lacked the Silver Card. Also, I wasn't entirely sure about the XP rank, as it was certainly much much more difficult to achieve in EHM, otherwise I really shouldn't have had as many reservations with continuing to take advantage of Marcus.

As far as weapons go, I actually (believe it or not) used quite a bit more non-basic weaponry on this playthrough than typical, nearly exhausting the Horseslayer, and taking quite a bit of advantage of the Heavy Spear and Longsword, at least in the earlier segments of the game. On the other hand, I did dearly found myself wishing I'd bought more Killer Lances at Dragon's Gate secret shop, but I was just trying to guesstimate what I was going to need, and ended up having bought more than enough Edges, and not enough Lances. I probably could have abused Silver weapons a lot more too. My large reliance on the Pegs meant that Steel wasn't as attractive an option though, due to AS loss.

No, I bought another one... Unless I bought the Ocean Seal, I honestly don't remember, and didn't particularly care. Like crysalid said, it was just to blow my liquid cash for funds inflation.

I didn't end up reading the in-depth parts for some of the chapters. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind listing which characters you promoted?

This is slightly off topic, sorry, but can anyone confirm this is true? I've never deliberately tested this, and the main FE7 page doesn't offer much insight.

Related: This also got me thinking, Do only the Lords' levels determine FFO paths, or could you possibly have 20/17.5/17.5 leveled Lords and still make it to Linus?

That's perfectly understandable. A lot of the detailed strategies probably don't make quite as much sense as they would if I'd included copious screenshots, or videos, which wasn't really an option with cartridge play. But they would perhaps make some sense if you're either familiar with the chapter, or load it up to see how it would go. But at any rate, I took the notes while figuring out how to proceed, so at that point it couldn't really hurt to include them.

Characters I promoted:

Serra, in the middle of Chapter 23: Living Legend

Florina, in the middle of Chapter 24: Four Fangs Offense

Raven, in the middle of Chapter 26: Unfulfilled Heart

Fiora, at the start of Chapter 28: Battle Before Dawn

Farina, near the start of Chapter 28: Battle Before Dawn

Priscilla, near the end of Chapter 28: Battle Before Dawn

Hector, forced promotion

Eliwood, in the middle of Chapter 31: Sands of Time

So a total of six 10k promotions and one 20k promotion.

As for your branching chapter XP requirement questions, I may have to experiment on a ROM a bit later. I don't know the answer offhand.

@ Inui: He also showed that Serra isn't promoting at the beginning of Dragon's Gate, like you've said in the past. Just saying.

I'm going to see if I can validate this on my own run. I have high levels for both Erk and Lucius from LNM but I'm going to try to just barely get Jerme's route (gonna promote Dorcas probably) based on the Exp gotten from ENM alone.

Edited by Admiral Lifey Crunch

@ Inui: He also showed that Serra isn't promoting at the beginning of Dragon's Gate, like you've said in the past. Just saying.

Sure she can. She was level 15 at the start, right? What's wrong with promoting her? It's more beneficial than promoting Erk.

Some more staff abuse would make that higher, anyways. Torch and Sleep are in your inventory before Chapter 20. ;)

As for your branching chapter XP requirement questions, I may have to experiment on a ROM a bit later. I don't know the answer offhand.

That was meant as a question open to anyone, but the quote was from your thread so I asked here.

Thanks for the promotion list! 6 non-Lords seems pretty low, but it's been so long since I attempted a ranked run... You seemed to have more than enough funds, as you mentioned, so it's probably a safe, low benchmark to go by.

I'm going to see if I can validate this on my own run. I have high levels for both Erk and Lucius from LNM but I'm going to try to just barely get Jerme's route (gonna promote Dorcas probably) based on the Exp gotten from ENM alone.

I appreciate it. :)