What do you think...

So, as we all know, Jagen/Jeigan is a prepromoted paladin with subpar bases and pretty lousy growths who quickly becomes outclassed by most of your other characters. But what do you think about drastically improving his bases and improving his EXP gains, but have him level DOWN instead? I know that something like this was implemented in a SNES Final Fantasy game (FFV, I think?) with one of the characters. So anyway, do you like this idea or not?

EDIT: I'm not referring to the Jeigan archetype or characters associated with being Jeigans (Sothe, Titania, etc.) I'm specifically referring to the character Jeigan from FE1/3/11 (and maybe 2?). Just want to be clear here.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

Interesting. He'd be better, obviously. You'd bench him around the same time, but at least he'd be god tier for a few chapters. Currently he is only good in 5 star hard mode for a few chapters and then ass.

It would be hilarious, but nonsense. If you want to obsolete characters, there are other ways to do it.

What FF5 character leveled backwards?

I think that it was Galuf. He leveled up, but his stats would fall each level. Or so I've heard. He was > God at first but became obsolete as you used him more. Of course, he died partway through the game against ExDeath, but he was a lot weaker anyway.

I think that it was Galuf. He leveled up, but his stats would fall each level. Or so I've heard. He was > God at first but became obsolete as you used him more. Of course, he died partway through the game against ExDeath, but he was a lot weaker anyway.

Incorrect.

In the beginning of the game, he lost his memory and you never got to see his stats before that, so his stats were basically the same as the rest of your party's. His stats grew normally and it never decreased.

Edited by Sho Minamimoto

Incorrect.

In the beginning of the game, he lost his memory and you never got to see his stats before that, so his stats were basically the same as the rest of your party's. His stats grew normally and it never decreased.

Maybe it was a different character? It was either FF4, 5, or 6. I'll check again.

If this were the case, you could remove his weapon and use him to break your opponents' weapons and block chokepoints. He'd probably rise on the tier list, but I don't think it would improve the game.

if you would hack into the game, and change all the growths to - (as in change 60% to -60%)

would that character go down in stats or just never have a stat going up?

if you would hack into the game, and change all the growths to - (as in change 60% to -60%)

would that character go down in stats or just never have a stat going up?

already tried it myself with FE7 and nightmare

changed all lyn's growths to negative, and she got all her stats +2 in her first level up... :blink:

I would probably only use him sparingly cause he'll still steal exp from the rest of the team who are only going to get better while he gets worse. I'd say that once the two main cavaliers that I use get to a high enough level, I'd switch him from killing to meatshielding and he would probably stay like that if his bases are good enough.

@whase: Your module might have been set to (un?) signed so that certain negative values actually represent a positive value from 128-255. I don't know too much about that, but I know that it happened to me and that I fixed it somehow.

I'd keep using Jeigan even in this case, since its his bases that made him useful in the first place.

In H5 it's practically mandatory to use Jeigan and that wouldn't change. In fact he would probably be more useful for longer if his bases were better, though it would be annoying if he one-rounded everything because it would be tougher to give kills to other characters even as it would make the game easier.

Edited by Hero

already tried it myself with FE7 and nightmare

changed all lyn's growths to negative, and she got all her stats +2 in her first level up... :blink:

Probably no underflow protection, so it read all your negatives as 255's since it didn't know what else to do. Or what Slize said.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

Doesn't the original FF4 have it so that after getting past level 70 all your characters start getting growths selected from multiple possibilities, some of which are negative?

From http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/588330/11495

Cecil can gain

+2 strength, 2 agility, 2 vitality, 2 will

+1 in all stats

+1 in all stats except wisdom

+1 in all stats except will

Kain can gain

+2 strength, 2 vitality, 2 wisdom, 2 will

+1 strength, 1 vitality, 1 will

+1 strength, 1 agility, 1 vitality

+3 strength, 3 agility, 3 will

+2 agility, 2 vitality