Random silly question about Manfroy in FE4

Gunlord

Hey there, FE4 fans! Sorry if this question's kinda dumb, but I'm wondering, in the last stage of Fire Emblem 4, why didn't Manfroy just kill Julia instead of brainwashing her? I'm using Darktwilkitri's translation patch, but I was just wondering about that. I mean, it would have made things a lot harder for Celice, since in-game you can just kill Manfroy and break Julia's spell, but if Manfroy had just killed her Celice wouldn't be able to use Narga even if he defeated Manfroy. So why didn't Manfroy just kill her instead of brainwashing her? A tiny spark of mercy on his/Julius' part, or...?

What do you guys think? :o

Edited by Gunlord

Out of mercy? Or to preserve the Heim blood line?

All that I know is that it was a bad decision, considering how Yurius goes, "Grr... you've made a big mistake, Manfroy!" or something like that. :D

Not as if it is all that difficult for Celice to beat Julius on his own, though. 30 damage a round if you give him a power ring. ~15 hp recovered.

(30 damage comes from

5x2 = 10

dance

5x2 = 10

enemy phase

5x2 = 10 (since Julius attacks Celice directly.))

To go through 80 hp with a net loss of 15 hp doesn't take all that long. Throw in Faval and/or Shanan for even more damage to speed things up.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Hey there, FE4 fans! Sorry if this question's kinda dumb, but I'm wondering, in the last stage of Fire Emblem 4, why didn't Manfroy just kill Julia instead of brainwashing her? I'm using Darktwilkitri's translation patch, but I was just wondering about that. I mean, it would have made things a lot harder for Celice, since in-game you can just kill Manfroy and break Julia's spell, but if Manfroy had just killed her Celice wouldn't be able to use Narga even if he defeated Manfroy. So why didn't Manfroy just kill her instead of brainwashing her? A tiny spark of mercy on his/Julius' part, or...? What do you guys think? :o

Dammit! Post Spoilers on that shit! I'm on chapter nine!

Yeah, that is the biggest mistake Manfroy made. My guess is that he got too overconfident he thought they couldn't possibly fail at this point.

He says he still has a use for Julia. What use would he have? Did he secretly want to betray Juilius?

Dammit! Post Spoilers on that shit! I'm on chapter nine!

Aw, I'm sorry about that bro :( I put a spoiler warning in the description of the topic but I guess that wasn't enough. Sorry...pardon my ignorance, but how do you spoiler tag? At another forum I go to we just change the font color to white so it doesn't show up without highlighting it, but I dunno if that's how you folks do it here. Pardon my ignorance again ^^;

Anyways, so I guess overconfidence would be Manfroy's doing, since he doesn't seem the merciful type IMO. I dont think the script says much more either way, though, so I suppose it's up to interpretation. Maybe the manga would have more on the matter. Thanks guys :D

[spoiler]Text goes here[/spoiler]

That's how spoiler tags work.

Whoah, cool, thanks Musashi. Just like 4chan I guess. Thanks again!

Anyways, yeah, that's a good point Quac. It would have been a pretty severe psychological blow to Celice, if he killed Julia himself. Hmm...

Well, I think Manfloy was just too overconfident that Julius will rule. I think he brainwashed Julia because it would be fun to watch her kill off her old friends, which were led by her half-brother. And for Celice to fight Julia. Of course, this ended up ruining his entire plan because if he just killed Julia off, then Julius would have been unstoppable (story-wise) and his dream would come true.

There's also the fact that the only way they could have saved Julia was if Manfloy himself was killed. He probably didn't seriously think they could beat him and even then, he might not have been concerned of whether or not the Lopt Empire would be revived AFTER his death. Why take precautions that you yourself would never benefit from?

Edited by Proto

I don't think he was overconfident, that kind of stupidity doesn't fit him. I think it's simply bad storytelling. They wanted it to end a certain way but didn't put enough effort into making it convincing.

Edited by Santino

Gen 1 showed how intelligent Manfloy was. He probably calculated all the possible outcomes beforehand. Either he kills Julia or he brainwashes her. If he killed her, then the results would either be:

A) He is defeated by Celice's army and would fail to see the revival of the Lopt Empire (which WILL happen no matter what) or

B) He defeats them or manages to stall them long enough for him to see his dream.

But if he were to brainwash Julia, either

A) He is defeated by Celice's army and would fail to see the revival of the Lopt Empire (which would then be prevented by Julia afterwards)

B) He defeats them or manages to stall them long enough for him to see his dream.

Not much difference from Manfloy's perspective. But I would think that to brainwash someone who the enemy leader cares about, to go and fight the enemy would be a pretty good idea then. It would make it more difficult for the enemy to reach him since having h4x weapons like Mistoltin aren't gonna help when they don't want to kill the one threatening them. And even if they do kill her, Celice wouldn't be too happy about it and like I Like My Cake Iced said, the psychological blow could ruin their morale. So I'd say from Manfloy's point of view, brainwashing Julia was the best choice. It wasn't the best choice for Julius, but eh, it wasn't his idea.

Hi I'm new to this forum...

What I believe was Manfloy thought about everything you guys said but also he knew how powerful Yurius was. He knew after a while Yurius might try to get rid of him so just incase he had Narga and Yuria with him. The one threat that Yurius had since he could easily kill Manfloy. Manfloy wanted to be able to still have a trick up his sleeve. FE 4 is my favorite FE game because of all the changes in the plot such as this one.

If he wanted to keep Julia as a way to get rid of Julius when needed, don´t you think he´d have kept her locked up instead of sending her out to get killed by Celice?

If he wanted to keep Julia as a way to get rid of Julius when needed, don´t you think he´d have kept her locked up instead of sending her out to get killed by Celice?

Not really. This is Manfloy we're talking about. But I guess it doesn't make sense