What is this...?

The expression 'bull in a china shop' means to be extremely reckless and foolhardy.

In Mythbusters, they showed that actually, a bull would prefer to go around a shelf of breakables than charge through it though...

Yes, but that is claiming there is a China...the term "China shop" comes from somewhere, you know.

Well, yes, but that has to do with the fact that in the 16th and more so in the 17th century, European nations engaged in trade with the Far East would pay big money for all the Eastern silk and porcelain, among other things. Thus, porcelain became synonymous with Chinese goods, and thus, the name stuck.

Yay, impromptu history lesson!! :awesome::awesome:

Well, yes, but that has to do with the fact that in the 16th and more so in the 17th century, European nations engaged in trade with the Far East would pay big money for all the Eastern silk and porcelain, among other things. Thus, porcelain became synonymous with Chinese goods, and thus, the name stuck.

Yay, impromptu history lesson!! :awesome::awesome:

You do know Tellius isn't Europe, right? And besides, it's the year 648 and Daein is located in the north-east.

Would you prefer they said "Bull in a Begnion shop?"

Begnion isn't a poor country...Crimea would work.

Hey, you guys do realize that even having the characters speaking english (or japanese) is just as ridiculous, since the chance of any earth language spontaneously evolving in another world, entirely separate from our own, is very improbable, right?

So the use of the word "a" in that sentence is just as ridiculous.

Edited by SeverIan

Actually, I'd say Daein. Daein is pretty much the Iraq of this game.

I would have mentioned it if Daein weren't the location that battle was taking place in.

I didn't really care. It sounds more natural for them to use figures of speech like that.

What really bugs me is that the game refers to Herbs as 'an Herb'.

Well, because the 'h' is silent and therefore not pronounced. Well, you CAN pronounce the 'h', but most people don't. Hence, you don't say 'a herb'.

Or are you talking about the fact that it's a 10 use item that's referred to in the singular? No one said you needed to use the full item for each use. It might just be highly potent and you only need 10% of the herb for maximum effectiveness.

Of course, that gets into the issue of why you can't use say, 30% of it for a 30 HP recovery, but, at this point, it's along the lines of the fact that stuff like that is just 'done' in a JRPG.

Well, because the 'h' is silent and therefore not pronounced. Well, you CAN pronounce the 'h', but most people don't. Hence, you don't say 'a herb'.

Or are you talking about the fact that it's a 10 use item that's referred to in the singular? No one said you needed to use the full item for each use. It might just be highly potent and you only need 10% of the herb for maximum effectiveness.

Of course, that gets into the issue of why you can't use say, 30% of it for a 30 HP recovery, but, at this point, it's along the lines of the fact that stuff like that is just 'done' in a JRPG.

I don't know how you do things in crazy America, but over here we say the H.

Although it must be a pretty strong herb if 10% can heal you. That's like, a nibble. I love healing items in this game though, 8 use vulneraries that heal 20 are so important in the DB chapters.

I don't know how you do things in crazy America, but over here we say the H.

Although it must be a pretty strong herb if 10% can heal you. That's like, a nibble. I love healing items in this game though, 8 use vulneraries that heal 20 are so important in the DB chapters.

Yeah, we don't usually pronounce the H where I live (or at least, I don't).

And yeah, I don't see 1/6 of a (probably small) concoction healing 40 HP either. Must be extremely potent... :)

The "H" is silent in spanish. The "H" in english isn't always silent, one of the very few words that it's silent in is "Honest".

The "H" is silent in spanish. The "H" in english isn't always silent, one of the very few words that it's silent in is "Honest".

Of course it's not ALWAYS silent. But it IS silent in the word Herb, or at least the way I've learned to pronounce it.

Well, not really...the "H" isn't silent when pronouncing "Herb", hell, there are even commercials that don't silence it. They aren't going to be as unproffesional as to even make it public if it weren't like that =P